OT: NHL Gamecenter Live

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
The new TWC $14.99 basic internet commercials have me thinking of dropping the "bundle" and simplifying my life. Hulu will allow me to watch any shows I might miss, and the Panthers will be easy enough to pick up over the air (or at a local sports bar). The only thing I would miss is Hurricane hockey. I checked out the website for NHL Gamecenter, but cost is not listed and it says local market games are not shown. The Hurricanes are considered local market here in Charlotte. Anyone here have any experience? Will I be able to watch the games live?

Thanks!

ncsu1

Oct 31, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Can't speak for Charlotte for sure, but I'm fairly confident you will not be able to watch the games with GCL without some workarounds.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think throughout the Carolinas and possibly even down into Atlanta they're considered local, so you'd probably be out of luck.

Trust me, I try to watch at work at times, it's a *****.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
The games will be blacked out since you're in the team's broadcast region, unless you use a proxy or something of that nature.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
A workaround does exist. A light googling will lead you to a site that could help you Unblock the blacked out games.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I had the same issue, a workaround does exist, but I had a unique situation.

Basically, here in Atlanta, Fox Sports South technically owns the rights to broadcast the game, but almost always broadcasts the Braves when they're on, and if they're not they usually do women's basketball before they'd ever play the Canes. I have cable, so if it was on I could watch it, but even when it wasn't on GCL blacked it out because stupid FSS owned the rights anyway. That was when I decided to get the workaround (usually I'm a fan of just doing it the way they want me to, but if it's literally not being broadcasted and I paid them $150 to watch it then I'm going to watch it).

I sent them a couple of emails and they weren't helpful. They just kept sending me their blackout policy over and over again. Finally I gave them a call. They said they couldn't do anything for me, blackout laws are blackout laws. However, after I gave them a call my GCL started working for ALL Canes games, even if they WERE broadcasted, without using my workaround. I'm not sure if that was them or if it was something else, but it was cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad