NHL entry draft 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

membleypeg

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If the NHL season never materializes, what happens to the 2005 draft? Will they simply use the 2004 draft order (other than the lottery), or will we see a draft lottery (every team in the hat). If this happens, you can bet that there will be a lot of crossed fingers, with Crosby up for grabs.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Good question. Personally I think any answer you get right now will be wild conjecture. I doubt the NHL will decide that until after the season is cancelled.

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Old Master said:
wtih the clubs that traded for draft choices the almost have to go with last years order

They can't just hand the Caps the rights to Crosby! If they use last years order, they better do the lottery over.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
If there is no season, technically there will be no draft. With no workable form of a CBA, then they will have no choice but to cancel the draft. In the event that this happens, all of the draft eligible players will then become unrestricted free agents, as does anyone who is not drafted in their draft year, see Cujo and Adam Oates. This would obviously be very exciting as then Crosby could go to the highest bidder, and there would be no shortage of high bids for his services. This would undoubtedly blow up in Bettman's and the owners faces, seeing as they are fighting for a salary cap, and putting Crosby out there for anyone with enough money to grab, would work against what they are trying to accomplish. What has been thrown around in some hockey circles as a remedy for such a problem, would be to host the 2005 entry draft, just before the 2006 draft. I agree this sounds a little ridiculous, but is the type of loophole, which could be used to get around the present problem of not having a draft at all, and then dealing with the Pandora's box that it would be opening. Either way, it will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
This has been debated ad nauseum on other threads.

The NHLPA has it made it clear that the draft is part of the CBA. The terms and conditions, entry level salaries, eligibility rules, etc. are all in the expired CBA Articles 8 & 9. Thus no CBA no draft.

The only way around this would be for the NHL to declare an impasse, impose its own rules and go from there. Notwithstanding all the potential legal problems and law suits this would create, the league could then do whatever it wanted with the draft and anything else related to the league operations. What those rules would or should be is open to debate, but the NHL would have bigger fish to fry then the draft.

Safir*

I heard an unconfirmed rumor, where the host team of the draft will get the 1st overall pick. :banana: :banana: :banana:

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Why not do the followng? If this year is skipped but next year resumes why not combine the two years BUT in 2 stages.

Have Crosbys group and partial of the next draft (go by a cut off on a certain age) eligable for the draft than the foloowing draft have the whole new guys eligble plus the guys who missed the cut off the previous year.

So basically you have 3 groups of players drafted in 2 drafts. It would also deepend the draft but would cause problems that combining 2 whole groups of players from each year together. Just my thoughts, as it has to be fair order or else the system is screwed again.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Why not do the followng? If this year is skipped but next year resumes why not combine the two years BUT in 2 stages.

Have Crosbys group and partial of the next draft (go by a cut off on a certain age) eligable for the draft than the foloowing draft have the whole new guys eligble plus the guys who missed the cut off the previous year.

So basically you have 3 groups of players drafted in 2 drafts. It would also deepend the draft but would cause problems that combining 2 whole groups of players from each year together. Just my thoughts, as it has to be fair order or else the system is screwed again.

The objection would be that teams traded draft picks in both years based on the relative strengths of the draft. Where would you put those traded picks?

CoolburnIsGone

Kickabrat said:
The terms and conditions, entry level salaries, eligibility rules, etc. are all in the expired CBA Articles 8 & 9. Thus no CBA no draft.
This is what I knew all along but wondered why teams would trade for picks in a draft past this yr when the owners obviously knew it could be more than a yr before a resolution to the situation was in sight. I gotta think that the league and union could work out an agreement to allow the draft to happen based on some of the rules from article 8 from the expired CBA.

One problem I see right now are the prospects that weren't signed before the CBA expiring and that need to be signed by June 1st or they could re-enter the draft. But as far as I understood, no player could be signed to contracts now that the CBA expired. So what happens in those situations for the 2005 draft? :dunno:

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Puckhead said:
If there is no season, technically there will be no draft. With no workable form of a CBA, then they will have no choice but to cancel the draft. In the event that this happens, all of the draft eligible players will then become unrestricted free agents, as does anyone who is not drafted in their draft year, see Cujo and Adam Oates. This would obviously be very exciting as then Crosby could go to the highest bidder, and there would be no shortage of high bids for his services. This would undoubtedly blow up in Bettman's and the owners faces, seeing as they are fighting for a salary cap, and putting Crosby out there for anyone with enough money to grab, would work against what they are trying to accomplish. What has been thrown around in some hockey circles as a remedy for such a problem, would be to host the 2005 entry draft, just before the 2006 draft. I agree this sounds a little ridiculous, but is the type of loophole, which could be used to get around the present problem of not having a draft at all, and then dealing with the Pandora's box that it would be opening. Either way, it will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

you are right that without a cba there won't be a draft, but crosby won't be made a free agent unless the lockout lasts till he turns 20, because he'd still be draft eligible in 2006 if it came to that...some of the older guys might have a problem there but not crosby.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The Old Master said:
yes, with the lottery

And no way the other 25 teams in the league outside of the lottery will go for that.

I honestly don't know what they will do with the draft, because the Rangers and other teams would raise hell if that happened.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
any response to this is just speculation cause really no one knows what would happen since it is a scenario that has never happened before and is something that would have to be figured out after the cba is in place...but lets pray that we don't find out what would happen if the whole season is lost...

and on top of having no season, if the season is cancelled in january then they will have till the following sept to get a deal in place for the following season, so what if there isn't a deal in place in june?? this scenario assumes that a cba would be agreed upon between january & june...

before even looking at the actual draft order, do you just delay the draft and hold it when the cba is signed (meaning 2 drafts within less then a year of each other) or do you combine the 2 drafts into a 'superdraft'??

another possible option would be to just cancel the 2005 draft completely...many have said that they think the draft age is too low, and really the only way to change that is to skip a year. so if you wanted to change the draft age, you could cancel the draft and make the 2005 prospects eligible in 2006, 2006 prospects get bumped back to 2007, etc and then every year after the players are 1 year older at draft time.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
What makes the most sense to me is to have a weighted league-wide lottery based on the final standings of last year. The fact of the matter is that you can't have every team getting the same crack at Crosby

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
ryanlambert said:
What makes the most sense to me is to have a weighted league-wide lottery based on the final standings of last year. The fact of the matter is that you can't have every team getting the same crack at Crosby
I'll go with that!

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ryanlambert said:

no but its also not fair that by having 1 bad season, the same teams that had a crack at ovechkin, now have a shot at crosby without doing anything

in other years a team isn't awarded a lottery spot because they got one the year before, so why should those teams be rewarded because they happened to be bad in the right year?

i don't know what the right solution is, and i agree that it should be weighted, but it just doesn't seem fair to have the same 5 in the lottery either

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
NYR469 said:
no but its also not fair that by having 1 bad season, the same teams that had a crack at ovechkin, now have a shot at crosby without doing anything

in other years a team isn't awarded a lottery spot because they got one the year before, so why should those teams be rewarded because they happened to be bad in the right year?

i don't know what the right solution is, and i agree that it should be weighted, but it just doesn't seem fair to have the same 5 in the lottery either
do you want to avg. out the last 3 yrs.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Old Master said:
wtih the clubs that traded for draft choices the almost have to go with last years order

traded picks don't effect how to set up the draft order as long as the teams receive the pick they were supposed to get...

when teams traded for picks in the 2005 draft they don't know when those picks will be. for example, the rangers acquired philly's 2nd round pick but they don't know if that pick will be #34, #47 or #59. the exact draft spot is determined by philly's record and all that the rangers know is that whereever that pick falls, they get it...so the same would apply in this situation, it doesn't matter if they use the same draft order or came up with a way to create a new draft order, no matter where that pick falls as long as the rangers receive that 2nd rounder the deal is complete.

the place that you'd run into problems would be if they canceled the 2005 draft and then teams that acquired or traded 2005 picks would have issues...do you award those team comp picks to cover the pick lost?? does the team that traded the pick owe that other team a pick in a future draft??

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Guy Flaming talked with the Oilers on this subject and the truth is, that there won't be an answer until the CBA is ironed out. If the season is cancelled, they will discuss and figure out what is going to happen at that time.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Old Master said:
do you want to avg. out the last 3 yrs.

that might be more fair then just using last season since the teams that have been consistantly bad would get the higher pick...

but my fingers are crossed that we'll never find the right answer to this question and by some miracle 1/2 a season will be saved...

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
How about we give the first pick to the team with the longest playoff drought? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad