NHL draft similar to NFL...

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Wow, if Kessel still was the consenseus 1st overall pick maybe we will have a similar draft to NFL in the top 2-3 pick.

With Phil Kessel being Reggie Bush and Eric Johnson being Mario Williams. Kessel-Bush, exiting fast offensive player with "ok" size. Johnson-Williams big tought defensive player.

I know, I know...weird comparison... but you are either an genius or... totally idiot :D

Korpido

Jul 15, 2005
Roberto Luongo said:
Wow, if Kessel still was the consenseus 1st overall pick maybe we will have a similar draft to NFL in the top 2-3 pick.

With Phil Kessel being Reggie Bush and Eric Johnson being Mario Williams. Kessel-Bush, exiting fast offensive player with "ok" size. Johnson-Williams big tought defensive player.

I know, I know...weird comparison... but you are either an genius or... totally idiot :D

lol nice effort but not a good comparison. Kessel has the potential to be a very exciting player who can score alot of goals.

Reggie Bush has the potential to be one of the top 3 running backs of all time. The Texans will regret passing over him.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
The only difference being that Johnson at first overall would not be a surprise to anyone, while Bush was the consensus top overall pick all along.

killerbee

Dec 23, 2005
I was thinking he was more like Lenhart. Maybe everyone saw
too much of them and eventually founds "weaknesses".

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Kyle Chipchura said:
The only difference being that Johnson at first overall would not be a surprise to anyone, while Bush was the consensus top overall pick all along.

Yeah I know, that was why I said IF Kessel was still an consenseus (sp?) 1st overall it would look...somewhat alike.

X0ssbar

killerbee said:

Good call. I like the Leinhart comparison a little better.

In hockey terms what the Texans did was pass up a Sidney Crosby to take Jack Johnson.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
killerbee said:

Bingo. If Kessel had not scored that hat trick in the 2005 WJC he would probably be the consensus #1, and if not, then a surefire #2. When he got that hat trick, he immediately walked into comparisons to Crosby/Ovechkin, and when it turned out he is not quite at that level, people started to find all manner of flaws in his game. Mark my words, he will be a 50goal 100point guy for many years.

Another bold prediction: He will play in the 2006 World Championships for team USA and get 3-3-6 in 7 games. His play will vault him back into the #1 slot at the draft, and Pitt will get their man (Johnson) at #2 for nothing.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Top Shelf said:

In hockey terms what the Texans did was pass up a Sidney Crosby to take Jack Johnson.

Hmmm I dont think so, Crosby was SUPER SURE 1st overall pick. A player once in a generation. Reggie Bush draft is more like the 2001 NHL draft Kovalchuk/Spezza.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Ha the funny thing about the Crosby draft is that people on the board actually thought Brule might supercede him in the race following the 2003-2004 campaign. That lasted until the second game of the season.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
Leachmeister2000 said:
Ha the funny thing about the Crosby draft is that people on the board actually thought Brule might supercede him in the race following the 2003-2004 campaign. That lasted until the second game of the season.
That was the time when Vitaly Anikeenko was in the top three :) .

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Top Shelf said:

I was gonna write that...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Johnson is certainly the consensus number one. I am not sure at all that he is head and shoulders above the rest though, as Bush was in the NFL. Call it a nudge above. The comparison with Crosby and Bush is accurate. And Johnson is certainly no Crosby. It would not be nearly the shock passing Bush was in the NFL if St. Louis either traded out of the first pick or picked someone else entirely. I actually give it a 50/50 chance of happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad