NHL Draft - Payroll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Flames Go*

this is a 'what if' question for hockey fans. its a hypothetical situation that came to me and i thought i would just throw it out there just to feed my curiousity.

what would happen to the league and payrolls if instead of ordering the draft lottery by points it was ordered by payroll. of course some teams (quite a few) would have $20 million payrolls while others (quite a few) would have $90 million and nothing would be fixed and increased disparity.

so could your rank in the lottery (the % chance you get the 1st pick) be determined by your payroll proportional to the rest of the league. meaning set it up so order didnt matter and your odds were measured by comparison to the rest of the league. teams 1-30 could get the first pick but how far off the league average determines your chances. the hope here is the top payroll teams would just remain close to the league average hoping to get the top pick.

i just thought of it but im all ready finding holes in it, only because i realize some teams wouldnt care. hell the leafs havent had a 1st 2 years in a row, so why would they care?

could it ever happen?
could it be a solution by itself?
would it work better with a luxury tax?
would it work better with a salary cap?

any feedback would be cool, positive or negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad