GDT: NHL Draft Lottery (May 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
What? Why?

One of the rules nerds will need to explain it, but it'll sound something like, "When suchandsuch team got 4th, a muskrat licked a Twizzler, the Twizzler fell over and knocked a gumball into a feather, the feather tickled the nose of a ketamine addict, the addict sneezed on a bus driver and gave him hepatitis, the bus driver freaked out and screamed 'GROSS! Columbus gets the 3rd pick in the 2023 draft!', and everyone went along with it because we don't want him to wreck and kill someone unless it's Putin.

"IF he wrecks and kills Putin, the Las Vegas Raiders get the #14 pick in next year's NFL draft, the Atlanta Braves have to play the next two years in the NBA, and the Atlanta Hawks become a ballet company."

Pretty sure that's how it works.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Can't think of a real reason not to have the drawing live, with the ping pong balls, instead of just walking them out on cards that already have the numbers slapped on the back like there aren't a million dumb f***ing ways for that to get all corrupted and go sideways real quick.

One of the rules nerds will need to explain it, but it'll sound something like, "When suchandsuch team got 4th, a muskrat licked a Twizzler, the Twizzler fell over and knocked a gumball into a feather, the feather tickled the nose of a ketamine addict, the addict sneezed on a bus driver and gave him hepatitis, the bus driver freaked out and screamed 'GROSS! Columbus gets the 3rd pick in the 2023 draft!', and everyone went along with it because we don't want to wreck and kill someone unless it's Putin.

"IF he wrecks and kills Putin, the Las Vegas Raiders get the #14 pick in next year's NFL draft,the Atlanta Braves have to play the next two years in the NBA, and the Atlanta Hawks become a ballet company."

Pretty sure that's how it works.
Goddamn muskrats. I was worried about them all day and sure enough....

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Can't think of a real reason not to have the drawing live, with the ping pong balls, instead of just walking them out on cards that already have the numbers slapped on the back like there aren't a million dumb f***ing ways for that to get all corrupted and go sideways real quick.

Goddamn muskrats. I was worried about them all day and sure enough....
If it was legit, they'd draw in front of you. The league with corrupt officiating just rigged its draft.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Anybody else notice after they announced Columbus that Chicago had a star by their name replacing the 3 that had been there, prior to Daly revealing Chicago won?
They do that every lottery for both lottery winners. Columbus dropping means Chicago won the lottery. We didn’t know it was 1 or 2 but that’s what they do every draft for teams that are bumped from their pre draft position, it means you won!

Reactions: um

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
They do that every lottery for both lottery winners. Columbus dropping means Chicago won the lottery. We didn’t know it was 1 or 2 but that’s what they do every draft for teams that are bumped from their pre draft position, it means you won!
You're right, I watched the 2021 lottery (which was on NBC, not ESPN), and when the Ducks got the 3rd pick, the Kraken got a star, but Buffalo still picked 1st overall.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Honestly, if by some chance it's not totally rigged (it is), you'd think Bettman and Daly would have enough sense to not needlessly give the impression of shenanigans. Jeebus.
why do you think its rigged?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
why do you think its rigged?
well for one thing, because they refuse to just draw the damn ping pong balls on air. but also because CBJ/Ana were bad outcomes for the NHL. And voila! Bedard goes to a major US market.

EDIT: and not just any major US market, but one that deliberately tanked and is in desperate need of an image fix.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Honestly, if by some chance it's not totally rigged (it is), you'd think Bettman and Daly would have enough sense to not needlessly give the impression of shenanigans. Jeebus.

Yeah, but design the perfect system in your head. Anything you'd come up with would be flawed in one way or another. Have a live lottery ball draft and you'd have super slow-mo videos from fans talking about how that pick was rigged because, LOOK!, the ball is a slightly different color. And LOOK!, that ball is bouncing differently from the others. And LOOK!, that guy just palmed a ball and swapped it like that dude I saw in Vegas. And so on.

I don't think it's fixed. A fix like that would have to involve a number of people, and I don't think any group of people can keep a secret that big these days.

There's nothing anyone could come up with that would keep the "It's fixed!" crowd silent. And those same people will defend the absolute sanctity of the draft done the same way the following year if their team wins.

Reactions: um and Calicaps

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
well for one thing, because they refuse to just draw the damn ping pong balls on air. but also because CBJ/Ana were bad outcomes for the NHL. And voila! Bedard goes to a major US market.

EDIT: and not just any major US market, but one that deliberately tanked and is in desperate need of an image fix.
But what about all the other drafts where it doesn't go to the biggest market?

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
i could also come up with a "it's rigged" justification for just about anyone?

Caps? Wow right when Backstrom declines they give Ovi a new center to chase Gretzky
Vancouver? Of course! his hometown AND a McDavid-Bedard rivalry?
Montreal? Wow saving the biggest Canadian hockey market with ANOTHER lotto pick??
Arizona? Of course! Anything to help them get a new arena and keep the NHL in Arizona.

Reactions: um

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I mean... I don't think it happened but I can certainly see why the league would want Chicago and Anaheim getting these top 2 players.

Sports Betting is a big area where the league has been growing in popularity here in the States, and these are two of the biggest metropolitan areas for people in their 20s/30s

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad