Prospect Info: NHL Draft 2018 - Friday...Friday...

IF something happens, what will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The only rumor that I have heard is that we would be leaning towards a F over a D at #5.

So, Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, or Kotkaniemi (if he does not go at #3)

My preferred order of that group is Zadina, Kotkaniemi, Wahlstrom, Tkachuk

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don’t think so at all. More like tantrums and pouting than violent rage issues.

All of his issues come in and around the rink. Away from it, he seems like a normal kid. Near it, the reports make him seem like a lazy, petulant child.

I don't want anything to do with him.

The DeAngelo reference came from a blogger. The consensus I got from what recent articles I read that even touched on it was he’s a huge defensive liability and doesn’t seem to care. Like XX said.. it isn’t anything away from the rink.

But one blog had a couple of quotes from him where he was complimenting his coach this year for making him pay more attention to the defensive end and acknowledging he needs to work more on it.

Definitely a project. Don’t think we really need more of those.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don’t think so at all. More like tantrums and pouting than violent rage issues.

All of his issues come in and around the rink. Away from it, he seems like a normal kid. Near it, the reports make him seem like a lazy, petulant child.

I don't want anything to do with him.

Maybe he just needs to grow up?

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Reading through Rick Morin’s mock draft/Twitter feed, I get the sense that there are 3 names that are being considered at 5.

Filip Zadina
Brady Tkachuk
Quinn Hughes

In that order, with an outside shot at Noah Dobson. If Zadina is there at 5, we take him over everyone. If he’s gone, then the pick is Tkachuk. And if they’re both gone, then Chayka goes with the defensemen.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Reading through Rick Morin’s mock draft/Twitter feed, I get the sense that there are 3 names that are being considered at 5.

Filip Zadina
Brady Tkachuk
Quinn Hughes

In that order, with an outside shot at Noah Dobson. If Zadina is there at 5, we take him over everyone. If he’s gone, then the pick is Tkachuk. And if they’re both gone, then Chayka goes with the defensemen.

Any chance chayka is just floating names to see if teams will trade up? That’s how I read Hughes’s name being strategically dropped right at this time. Didn’t I say if I was Gm I would leak AZ’s name with Kotkaniemi and Hughes? Prevents Montreal from trading down and incentivizes Detroit to give up a pick to get Hughes.

Reactions: Jormungandr

jdfitz12

Oct 11, 2008
I think Chayka works a deal with Montreal at 3 to get Zadina. Swapping 5 and something.
I think Ottawa will grab Zadina at 4.... unless they move Karlsson then they would need a D at that slot.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Any chance chayka is just floating names to see if teams will trade up? That’s how I read Hughes’s name being strategically dropped right at this time. Didn’t I say if I was Gm I would leak AZ’s name with Kotkaniemi and Hughes? Prevents Montreal from trading down and incentivizes Detroit to give up a pick to get Hughes.
Could be. I think Chayka actually really likes Zadina and Tkachuk though. Leaking Hughes’ name could be a posturing technique in the event that both Zadina and Tkachuk are gone and he’s looking to drop a few slots and add an extra pick.

Reactions: hbk

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Real riveting stuff by grady there comparing Tkachuk to Tkachuk.

Yeah I got a chuckle from that.... You'd think it would've been a comparison to the old man rather than the brother. But it appears he used current active players to compare with and there's nothing like a Tkachuk. :laugh:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I wish we could add polls to posts. I'm so excited for tomorrow it's stupid.

So my question is, your first gut reaction without overanalyzing...do we go D or F tomorrow?

I'm guessing F
Forward.

In the past few months we’ve traded Domi, Duclair, Rieder, and Martinook. And, if you believe Galchenyuk is here to play center, we have only acquired Panik in return. I think we need to add wingers. Our top 6 wingers, at this point, appear to be Keller, Perlini, Panik, and Fischer.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
F, I hope.

Not because we are thin there (we are), but because the odds of getting top line forwards after the top ten are much slimmer than getting star D in later rounds.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I would be fine with Tkachuk. I wonder if his lack of production in his freshman year at BU might be due to how he was utilized. I wonder what his average TOI looked like. Every "expert", and I mean all of them that I have seen, rank Tkachuk in the top 10, most in the top 5. They must see something. Moose can keep his toaster in the kitchen. Make a Poptart or something.

I would be more than fine with Zadina, and fine with Wahlstrom. I just hope that the Coyotes don't go off the reservation for a pick. Wheeler worked out well, but not for us, and not for at least a half of a decade later.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I wish we could add polls to posts. I'm so excited for tomorrow it's stupid.

So my question is, your first gut reaction without overanalyzing...do we go D or F tomorrow?

I'm guessing F
I would think forward. I’m guessing Montreal take Kotkaniemi at third. Ottawa takes one or the other of Zadina or Tkachuk, and we take the one they leave for us. Then Detroit, Vancouver and Chicago each take a D. Wahlstrom to NYR. EDM takes whichever of Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson and Boqvist weren’t taken by DET, VAN, and CHI. Probably Boqvist.

1. BUF Dahlin
2. CAR Svechnikov
3. MTL Kotkaniemi
4. OTT Tkachuk
5. ARI Zadina
6. DET Hughes
7. VAN Bouchard
8. CHI Dobson
9. NYR Wahlstrom
10 EDM Boqvist

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I misunderstood. I thought you meant you didn’t understand the nature of the problems. I didn’t realize you meant you didn’t understand what made them incorrectable. I’d agree. If he can grow up and become coachable, he’d be a worthy pick. I’d gamble on it. Given what Chayka dealt with during Duclair’s time here, I doubt they’d take Merkley anywhere in the top 62. I would. Don’t think Chayka would.

Chayka did sign Brendan Burke who had his own conflicts with coaches so I'm sure Merkley has been considered and they have a decision on him.

Reactions: rt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad