Nhl Draft 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
X-SHARKIE said:
There is also a very interesting rumor that they'll push back the age restriction and players well have to be 19.

That can't happen unless it's part of a CBA. The CBA is what makes the age requirement exempt from anti-trust laws. If the NHL decides to hold a draft in the absence of a CBA the age requirement will have to be 18.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Benji Frank said:
They're not allowed make trades or signings right now ... it'd be pointless to have a draft next June if there's no season this year & no contract, as half the fun of the draft is the trades & trade rumours!!
Pointless? I didn't know that the draft was held for the amusement of the fans. A draft won't be held because if there is no CBA there are no rules for how the draft is conducted, and the league can't impose the rules unless they declare an impasse...and if they do declare an impasse there would be so many legal challenges that it would take 5 years to even know if it was legal.

If you enjoy all the trading then get prepared for a lot of dull summers. If a cap is instituted, getting a trade done will be almost impossible. Say good bye to the year-end salary dumps for draft picks and to the trade of aging veterans for draft picks. These trades will be almost impossible to transact because no team will be able to take on extra salaries. Every time a trade is made, salaries will have to match. The NHL trade deadline and the draft will become as exciting as the NBA's.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Riggs said:
I don't follow basketball, so I have no idea what "Pulling a Ewing" would entail.

Could someone explain this?
There's an urban legend David Stern rigged the 85 draft lottery to give the NY Knicks the first pick in the draft and pick Patrick Ewing. He was drawing envolpes blind, the rumor goes that the Knicks envelope was freezed so he could tell by the cold. However, since paper isn't conductive that's impossible. The Knicks envolope may have been made of a different textured material so he could tell by touch.

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
Hasbro said:
There's an urban legend David Stern rigged the 85 draft lottery to give the NY Knicks the first pick in the draft and pick Patrick Ewing. He was drawing envolpes blind, the rumor goes that the Knicks envelope was freezed so he could tell by the cold. However, since paper isn't conductive that's impossible. The Knicks envolope may have been made of a different textured material so he could tell by touch.

Thanks.

-------------------------

Doesn't a lottery ball type machine pick numbers for the NHL draft? This would make it very difficult for Bettman to pull a Ewing.

coolguy21415

Jul 17, 2003
Hasbro said:
However, since paper isn't conductive that's impossible.

I don't mean to alarm you, but paper *does* conduct heat, else it wouldn't combust. Have ever felt an envelope that is in your mailbox in winter? It's pretty cold to the touch.

</end off topic rant>

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
RedScull said:
I don't mean to alarm you, but paper *does* conduct heat, else it wouldn't combust. Have ever felt an envelope that is in your mailbox in winter? It's pretty cold to the touch.

</end off topic rant>
Duh, :banghead: I did read an article from a pysicist who said the frozen envelope was unlikely. He said the paper trick was a better way of doing, as with some other tactics I'm sure.

I'm sure Bettman could rig a NHL lottery if he wanted too. Then again he manages to surprise me with his stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad