NHL Board of Governors approves sale of Coyotes and relocation to Salt Lake City (Mod warning post #157)

D34DLYB1RDS

Feb 1, 2024
No more repeated team names among the big 4 (and include MSL) team names. So, eliminate Chiefs (KC), Coyotes (AZ keeping them), Eagles (PHI), Raptors (TOR), Braves (ATL), Wolves (MIN).

Utah's state flag includes a bee. So names around that make sense. Not Hornet (CHA). Quick google search shows Utah Stingers as a Volleyball team in some association. Swarm is some youth ultimate frisbee team. They can look into trademarks for both and then buy out the team name. Wasps, Bees, (though a team name of Utah Bees is so short), Yellow Jackets.

I have a feeling that Yeti, ala Kraken probably to take it.

Just hope they opt for a different color scheme than blue, red, black. Seen some mocks with purple for Yeti and yellow as base for "bee" themed.

Just throwing a bunch of names out there at the top of my head.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just throwing a bunch of names out there at the top of my head.
Just for branding purposes best to use something unique. Those other nicknames have been around 2 decades plus.

Plus any bee themed nickname, be careful with color scheme as the hornets are teal and purple. Heard jazz owner likes keeping something similar to jazz colors which if it’s the updated ones from Malone and Stockton ear that was purple and light blue it may be too close to the hornets colors.

Seems some people mock up a double purple color scheme. That could work. Just do not want both colors to be the same as charlotte.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
IMG_1666.jpeg

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Len Barrie played for Florida (amongst others), but he was a co-owner of Tampa Bay.

Sorry--My bad.

I have been looking at his history and while there is no doubting him and his family are very smart and business savvy. It is some of the things he says and the way he says it just causes me to have flashbacks to Barrie and the more I think about it Bruce McNall of LAK fame

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Utah Grizzlies is still the best imo. Just buy the ECHL team and rename them the Cubs

Reactions: 1909

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This is probably European bias, but I really don't see anything wrong with Utah Hockey Club as a permanent name. That would actually feel unique in North American big-4 sports, as opposed to the usual gimmick names.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
This is probably European bias, but I really don't see anything wrong with Utah Hockey Club as a permanent name. That would actually feel unique in North American big-4 sports, as opposed to the usual gimmick names.

I think this would work if the league can get to 36 teams and adopt a promotion/relegation model.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
"Yetis" is really stupid and childish, so not surprised a bunch of children are chanting it.

Anything else. Something with some even vaguely local tie. Canyons. Scorpions. Bees. I hate Outlaws, but it's at least a state where old west stuff happened. No Yeti myth has ever been set in Utah.
These are the 8 names that are trademarked right now

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
These are the 8 names that are trademarked right now

And more potential names will be trademarked in the coming days and weeks because that's how this works.

But Ice, Yeti, Fury, and Blizzard are just shit tier terrible names. Venom can work with the right branding (Scorpions would be a great identity to base a team around, though "Scorpions" would be the better name), Outlaws is lame as hell middle school level branding but at least has local ties, Mammoth/s is actually a half decent one that also has some real relationship to Utah.

They really need to do what they originally proposed of playing the first season without a name to give themselves some time, aka the Utah Hockey Club option. Better to do one season as a blank slate than be stuck with utter garbage branding.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
And more potential names will be trademarked in the coming days and weeks because that's how this works.

But Ice, Yeti, Fury, and Blizzard are just shit tier terrible names. Venom can work with the right branding (Scorpions would be a great identity to base a team around, though "Scorpions" would be the better name), Outlaws is lame as hell middle school level branding but at least has local ties, Mammoth/s is actually a half decent one that also has some real relationship to Utah.

They really need to do what they originally proposed of playing the first season without a name to give themselves some time, aka the Utah Hockey Club option. Better to do one season as a blank slate than be stuck with utter garbage branding.
Smith is planning to have 8 names in a bracket format to narrow it down to 1. These could be the names that they use especially if they want to have a name, logo and jersey before the start of next season.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Of the 8 shit names they've trademarked, blizzard sounds the best when said out loud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad