NHL Backup Goaltenders, (nearly all) 1963 to present (and a call for help)

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Alright, here comes the fun and the (mostly) culmination of a hell of a lot of work. As many of you know, one of my goals the past two decades has been cataloging every backup appearance in the NHL. This has been a wild goose chase for the most part, even though the NHL does have this information on media.nhl.com (for which I cannot get access as I do not work for a publication). Games from 1999-2000 to the present are (nearly all) available on the NHL's fan-facing site (if you know how to find the right game sheet data). For games prior to that, the closest we've come is the Penguins' handwritten box summaries that were published as a weird but welcome one-off a few years ago.

Anyhow, thanks to a mysterious benefactor (who I won't name here in case they don't want to be known, but I encourage them to speak up because they're awesome, and you all probably know who it is anyhow), I was able to gain access to the media site's data here. And I've parsed it into my dataset - harder than it sounds - back to 1963:

Click on year, click on a team, see the list - similar format to what I've always published but with fleshed out backups. Similar to this:

1692323821074.png

Some notes that are important:

The dataset that I've been using is nearly complete but not entirely complete. For one, a few teams seem to have not published backup goaltender data. For instance, you'll notice that 1987-88 Edmonton Oiler home games appear to be missing data:

For two (and more interesting), back beyond a certain point the league only seems to have published a goaltender's backup information if they were also in the dataset for that year as someone that appeared on the ice. For instance, Michel Larocque and Ken Dryden appear in the dataset above, but not Dave Elenbaas (more on that next). Or Ed Johnston appears for the 1977-78 Blackhawks, but Randy Ireland does not:

This presents a problem and an opportunity - there are clear gaps in the data, but it's also kind of easy now to see where to look. For instance, I was able to track down Randy Ireland in this example because otherwise I had four games without a Chicago backup, and I knew it wasn't Mike Veisor (season ending injury but also his backup data ends on January 14) or Ed Johnston (backup data begins January 26 when acquired). So I knew where to look.

With that as help, I incorporated what I could from the various threads on HFBoards (primarily the "Backup Goaltenders" thread and the "That Goalie Played for That Team?" thread). I have not cross-checked against @Benchwarmers' site (but need to) and my guess is that it will uncover some more that I've missed.

The data I received actually goes back to 1917-18, but I stopped (here) at 1963 because prior to that, it gets weird - you know why. But moreover, I want to hand-inspect any of the data there before entering them into the dataset.

In nearly all cases (one exception so far) I trusted the NHL's source data over anything I could find first-hand in contemporary media. For instance, I have this article from the New York Daily News of January 29, 1970:

1692324337287.png

Oh, that's interesting - Bruce Landon dressed for the Kings on January 29, 1970! But the NHL site says that Desjardins actually backed up Rutledge. Note that the Daily News article speaks prospectively about the events ("taking his place was to be..."). So I'm willing to believe that Desjardins sucked it up and dressed that night after all. Yes, I'm keeping receipts and notes - a lot of them will be here in this thread.

Here's the asterisk from above - start of the Canadiens' 1975-76 season:

1692324437090.png

All of the reports from the media here insist that Bunny broke his damn ankle at home before the start of the season (including a media report on October 9) and that Ed Walsh backed up. But the official NHL data says that Larocque backed up Dryden on October 9 (but not October 8, October 11, or any other game until October). That's suspicious to me and likely to you, so I overwrote it and "gave it" to Walsh.

Anyhow, this is a solicitation for anyone who's sufficiently bored to help fill in these gaps - they're relatively easy to spot in how I publish them. If you can find documentation, please post it here. If you have theories that I can run down, please post them here.

This gives something still to do which is nice (although I'd like to finish up the entire catalog back to 1917-18) but this also gives an entry point to finding injuries that have heretofore been unpublished (if a goaltender can't dress, then he was either injured or sent down).

Thanks, enjoy, and happy hunting! Questions, comments, complaints below, please.

If you don't want to read all of that and just want the data, here's the link:

I'll be using the errata thread for random shit that I uncover (like Chico Resch in a towel).

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
All of the backup goaltender enthusiasts are taking the summer off, I see.

Anyhow, Rogie Vachon was hospitalized in late October 1977, and I was able to track down Mario Lessard being recalled as Gary Simmons' backup. Notable enough to add here because apparently a wire photo went out for the October 30 game that mis-attributed Simmons (clearly him from the mask) as Lessard:

1692393664038.png

Also found out that Terry Sawchuk missed a game in April of 1970 for the Rangers when his dad was critically injured in a car accident. This guy can't catch a break.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
This is great research! Did anything come up that you found surprising/unexpected?

As an FYI, the link to the discrepancies in the data appears to be broken- link

• Love
Reactions: Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Thanks - you're too kind (especially given the level of research you do around here, this is a high compliment).

Overall so far, I think I'm mainly still annoyed that backup goaltenders aren't typically seen as valuable in North American hockey - in Europe, they catalog "Games Dressed" along with "Games Played" so recognize the distinction. (Part of this is selfish in that I topped out as a mediocre goaltender in college, and I know how much work it was to do that and I think I was still valuable to the team.)

A lot of the nuggets have come out in the other threads where we've been researching off/on the variety of unusual backups. I was surprised that Dave Reece was Cheevers' backup in the game after the "Sittler game" (many reported that Reece was sent back because of the game, but we know that he knew about the demotion prior to the game as Cheevers had returned from the WHA).

I was surprised that Bouchard and Myre not only were the only two goaltenders to play in Atlanta for their first many years, but that both *dressed* every game until November 5, 1976 when Bouchard was injured in practice. That's more than three straight seasons where Bouchard and Myre were it.

I've been aware of this three-goalie pattern by the Leafs in 1972-73, and I actually kind of assumed that Johnston would get more non-backup games because of age (and need to recover?) but he roughly got an equal share of those too:

Actually, the most surprising thing is that I've been talking with Duane Derksen on Twitter on a semi-daily basis for the last few years, and he never told me that he dressed for a game in 1992-93. He'd mentioned preseason Capitals games before but never this.

Similarly, I think Shawn Simpson's story is a fun one although I've had that documented orally for awhile on my site: Quoting Christine Brennan's Washington Post article of April 24, 1990: "Radio color commentator Shawn Simpson was halfway through a broadcast of last night's (4/23/1990) Baltimore Skipjacks game at Baltimore Arena when a breathless man came up to him and said, "Pack your gear, hop in the car and get down to Washington right away." Simpson's night as a broadcaster was over. He was about to become the Washington Capitals' backup goaltender. When Don Beaupre went out with a groin injury in the opening minutes of last night's playoff game, the Capitals quickly called their farm team in Baltimore and asked for an available goaltender. Simpson, 21, Baltimore's third-string goaltender - who is so available he sits in the broadcast booth - was ready and willing. He arrived at Capital Centre between the second and third periods. He found a jersey waiting for him - No. 30, with his last name on the back. "You always dream about something like this happening," said Simpson, who has spent six years in the minors [sic]. "Does this count toward my pension?"

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I was surprised that Bouchard and Myre not only were the only two goaltenders to play in Atlanta for their first many years, but that both *dressed* every game until November 5, 1976 when Bouchard was injured in practice. That's more than three straight seasons where Bouchard and Myre were it.

Here's what finally felled a Flames goaltender:

The_Atlanta_Journal_Sat__Nov_6__1976_.jpg

I'm picturing one of those street Mylec balls that would leave a good welt.

Reactions: kaiser matias

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Trying to find who played the rest of the backup games for Detroit after Ed Giacomin got injured in February 1977, and man, Larry Wilson is not a popular coach.

"British bulldog drill" described here:

1692718370567.png

1692718394955.png

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Died of a heart attack a few years later. Dude seemed intense.

Richardson's definitely the #3 (1976-1977 Detroit Red Wings Goaltender Game-by-Game Performance) but if I'm right on how the league includes or does not include backup goaltenders in their media site, they should be including Richardson (and do in February for a few games):

1692719693320.png

I see evidence that Richardson was up and down in March in the press but can't pin him to a game other than the two where he started. I'm also not sure that it's McDuffe since I think he was sent down after March 3. And Mike Frawley's situation was just weird all around.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Richardson for at least part of that gap - right now, I don't have backups for March 5, or March 10-20 (and it's certainly interesting that the two gaps were Richardson starts). Could be Richardson and the league's just inconsistent on what they omit on their site.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Confirming you are 100% correct regarding Ed Walsh as backup to Dryden in
Oct. 9, 1975 Montreal at Boston match.

In the Oct 10, 1975 edition of the Boston Herald-American, article by D. Leo Monahan:
"Les Canadiens had lanky Ken Dryden in goal and had a veteran lineup except for
Somerville's Ed Walsh (Boston Univ./Arlington High School) as backup. Walsh was
up from AHL Nova Scotia. Walsh was also backup to Dryden in Wednesday night's opener
against Los Angeles at the Forum."

Regarding Bruce Landon and his status with L-A Kings during the last week of January, 1970:
Bruce was not recalled by L-A since he was busy playing for their farm club Springfield that
week on a road trip through Quebec, according to the Springfield Union newspaper.

On Tuesday night, Jan. 27, 1970, in Quebec City, Landon started in net against the Quebec
Aces but was replaced by Sneddon at 4:02 of the 2nd period, after giving up 4 goals.
Then on Friday night, Jan. 30 in Montreal, Landon was shelled for all 7 goals in a 7-2 loss to
the Montreal Voyageurs at the Forum.

Also, in the Long Beach Independent/Press-Telegram from Dec. 8, 1973:
"Kings goalie Gary Edwards was suspended for tonight's (Sat. Oct. 8) game
with Atlanta and fined $200 for a stick-swinging incident with Vancouver's
Bobby Schmautz on Tuesday night. With Edwards suspended by NHL president
Clarence Campbell for one game, the Kings called up 31-year-old goalie
Rick Charron from Portland of the WHL to back up Rogie Vachon."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sanf and Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
This is fantastic - thank you @svetovy poharu!

I was wondering about Charron but hadn't found the evidence - I now see your source, and match against the "Capital Journal" (Salem, Oregon, and Charron was playing with Portland as you note). Both prospective mentions but in this case, we know that Edwards sat (suspension, and otherwise the media site would have Edwards listed).

And good call on Landon comparing the Springfield dailies, too - I was rooting for Landon to have a dressed game, just because he was so interesting in the WHA.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Confirming you are 100% correct regarding Ed Walsh as backup to Dryden in
Oct. 9, 1975 Montreal at Boston match.

In the Oct 10, 1975 edition of the Boston Herald-American, article by D. Leo Monahan:
"Les Canadiens had lanky Ken Dryden in goal and had a veteran lineup except for
Somerville's Ed Walsh (Boston Univ./Arlington High School) as backup. Walsh was
up from AHL Nova Scotia. Walsh was also backup to Dryden in Wednesday night's opener
against Los Angeles at the Forum."

Regarding Bruce Landon and his status with L-A Kings during the last week of January, 1970:
Bruce was not recalled by L-A since he was busy playing for their farm club Springfield that
week on a road trip through Quebec, according to the Springfield Union newspaper.

On Tuesday night, Jan. 27, 1970, in Quebec City, Landon started in net against the Quebec
Aces but was replaced by Sneddon at 4:02 of the 2nd period, after giving up 4 goals.
Then on Friday night, Jan. 30 in Montreal, Landon was shelled for all 7 goals in a 7-2 loss to
the Montreal Voyageurs at the Forum.

Also, in the Long Beach Independent/Press-Telegram from Dec. 8, 1973:
"Kings goalie Gary Edwards was suspended for tonight's (Sat. Dec. 8) game
with Atlanta and fined $200 for a stick-swinging incident with Vancouver's
Bobby Schmautz on Tuesday night. With Edwards suspended by NHL president
Clarence Campbell for one game, the Kings called up 31-year-old goalie
Rick Charron from Portland of the WHL to back up Rogie Vachon."

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Adding to my list - Bruce Gamble was traded from the Leafs to the Flyers for Bernie Parent on January 31, 1971. If I search the press on February 3, I get reports that both are working out with their new teams.

Yet the official media summaries evidently list Gamble backing up for the Leafs on February 3 against St. Louis. (They do also list Parent backing up 1/31 for the Flyers, which could be possible if the trade was consummated late enough).

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I do believe that the National Hockey League likes to do things specifically as a giant "f*** you" to me personally. Depeche Mode once opined that God has a sick sense of humor...apparently the NHL gods have been taking notes.

Specifically today, they've redesigned the site and it appears that they have (*) backup goaltenders now listed for older games:

Rendering my efforts moot (although I still personally think that my presentation is better).

The dreaded asterisk above... (*) however...the ones that I was missing from this pull are still missing...for instance, Ed Walsh should be the backup here:

And he's not listed.

So I'm still marginally ahead of the NHL somehow based on the manual efforts described here up-thread...

I do eventually want to be able to rigorously scrape the goaltender numbers on there now - time on ice and shots/saves. Shots/goals by period would be even better although it's not shown on this new site formation (and when I try to reconcile to published contemporary media totals where shots by period are shown, I typically end up trying to squeeze 25 total shots (per the NHL) against 9+11+8=28 shots (per media sources)).

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Haven´t really been here much lately so this was the first time I had time to look at these. Fantastic work again. Shame that NHL did that now, but I prefer your site. NHLs history sites are clonky, slow and hard to search. I tried to check few things now but it just gave me errors.

If the source is same as the on pnep presented with the backup info few months ago I am fairly sure NHL still has lot of errors or/and missing info. Many of backup goalies that should have been there were missing. And I have researched those myself so I am sure that they were the backups.

• Love

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Now that I managed to understand how you search NHL database it is totally missing the long stint of Bob Vroman and one shorter after that from Steve Rexe. Just for example. Vachon has no backup. So it seems that if the goalie is not in database they are leaving it as blank? So if the backup spot in there is empty you can assume that the backup never played in NHL?

• Love

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Now that I managed to understand how you search NHL database it is totally missing the long stint of Bob Vroman and one shorter after that from Steve Rexe. Just for example. Vachon has no backup. So it seems that if the goalie is not in database they are leaving it as blank? So if the backup spot in there is empty you can assume that the backup never played in NHL?

I believe that (and have found no counterexamples to) a backup is not listed if they did not also play on-ice in a game for the same season.

Randy Ireland (January 1978) is a good example:

Obviously played for the Sabres the next season. One interesting item that's on my list - obviously the rules were different in the 1970s, but Ireland was drafted by the Black Hawks. Backed up four games in Chicago that very season. Re-entered the draft, drafted by the Sabres. Ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on. Shouldn't be too hard to track down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanf

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I believe that (and have found no counterexamples to) a backup is not listed if they did not also play on-ice in a game for the same season.

Randy Ireland (January 1978) is a good example:

Obviously played for the Sabres the next season. One interesting item that's on my list - obviously the rules were different in the 1970s, but Ireland was drafted by the Black Hawks. Backed up four games in Chicago that very season. Re-entered the draft, drafted by the Sabres. Ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on. Shouldn't be too hard to track down.
Yeah I think you are right! I checked one that I rememberer and that was Dave Reeces stint in 74-75 with Bruins. I remember reading that because he was even suppose to start and his feelings about for the debut was even interviewed for papers.

Boston Globe Jan 23. 1975
Reece is the fourth goalminder of the year for the Bruins, and his is getting his chance now, because of Ross Brook´s broken finger and the continuing discomfort in Gilles Gilbert´s back.

He was suppose to be start another game too, but Cherry went rather with injured Gilbert. So that was well recorded on papers.

You have the first backup game of January 18. but he was there actually until they swapped him back with Broderick who was in Rochester. NHL have blanks on those games.

Boston Globe Feb 1. 1975
Gilles Gilbert will be in goal again, with Ken Broderick returning from Rochester as back-up. Dave Reece, in turn, goes back to the Americans.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Similarly Ken Ellacott was Canucks backup early in 1980-1981 when Hanlon was out.

October 20. The Vancouver Sun
Ken Ellacott, summoned Sunday from Dallas for games in New York Tuesday against the Islanders and Wednesday against the Rangers.

With the brittle Glen Hanlon shelved for four to six weeks with suspected stretched ligaments in his left knee, Brodeur will be No. 1 indefinitely, at least until veteran Gary Bromley is able to return.

November 6. 1980
Meanwhile, goakeeper Gary Bromley was recalled by the Canucks from Dallas Black Hawks of the Central League. Ken Ellacott replaced Bromley in Dallas.

I did stumble to some of these when I was searching "backup only" and "that goalie dressed for that team" goalies. But sadly I never made any notes because it wasn´t what I was looking for.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Also I think Jay has Andre LePages game wrong on his page which probably is your source too. He was Islander backup on Detroit game, but not on October 22. 1976. Correct game was 3. of March 1977.

I did check and the circumstances on that callup was same that LaPage described when Jay asked him about it (Smith was attending funeral). You have both of the games on your DB, but there is double backup in October 22.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Spamming these now :D

I believe that 1985-1986 Oilers blank stint was filled with Ron Low. I do remember the story going something like Low signed as player-assistant coach on Oilers minor league team. But then he was called up Oilers and Flyers use that and took him from waivers. And then he was traded back to Oilers for future consideration.

Edmonton Journal November 14, 1985
Ron Low was happily waxing his armpit with one of those stick deodorant bars in the visitor's dressing room after Edmonton's 3-2 overtime win over the Rangers Sunday night. Low, whose career stops have included some of the all-time worst teams in National Hockey League history, is happy as a pig in a poke to be the backup goalie for the world champion Oilers

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I love this - thank you, @Sanf! Reading on my work machine (and 25 miles away from my dataset). I'll corroborate the other three tonight, but I'm 100% sure you're right on Lepage - I'm sure I added the October date back when we were on the other thread, couldn't make it work and found March but forgot to remove the October instance.

1694460755640.png

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
There is great amount of satisfaction going through these. But I feel slightl disapointment too because I have hunch or memories almost every gap that I have found to this point. Years ago I went through so many transaction columns and seeked for goalie injuries that almost every time there is a gap it rings a bell in my head. That means that there probably aren´t many "backup onlys" to discover.

Few Kings ones. (Now these don´t automatically mean that they were backups in every game but the odds are that they did. Needs bit of checking up)

Mario Lessard started the 76-77 as Kings backup

The Los Angeles Times 6. Oct 1976
Vachon and rookie Mario Lessard, who will remain with the club until Gary Edwards broken hand mends.

The Voncouver Sun 19. Oct 1976
The Kings also announced that defenceman Larry Brown and goalie Mario Lessard
were sent to Kings´ Fort Worth farm team.

Gary Simmons had his last NHL time as Kings backup in 78-79

The Los Angeles Times 12. Nov 1978
Mario Lessard, with a bruised right shoulder was given the night off and Gary Simmons suited Grahame´s backup.

Paul Pageau had one game stint as backup in 82-83

The Los Angeles Times 25. Mar 1983
Laskoski went all the way in goal since Markus Mattsson twisted his left knee in Tuesday's loss to Montreal Mattsson didn't suit up Thursday so the Kings brought up minor-leaguer Paul Pageau to back up Laskoski

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Yeah I think you are right! I checked one that I rememberer and that was Dave Reeces stint in 74-75 with Bruins. I remember reading that because he was even suppose to start and his feelings about for the debut was even interviewed for papers.

Boston Globe Jan 23. 1975
Reece is the fourth goalminder of the year for the Bruins, and his is getting his chance now, because of Ross Brook´s broken finger and the continuing discomfort in Gilles Gilbert´s back.

He was suppose to be start another game too, but Cherry went rather with injured Gilbert. So that was well recorded on papers.

You have the first backup game of January 18. but he was there actually until they swapped him back with Broderick who was in Rochester. NHL have blanks on those games.

Boston Globe Feb 1. 1975
Gilles Gilbert will be in goal again, with Ken Broderick returning from Rochester as back-up. Dave Reece, in turn, goes back to the Americans.

A few more pieces of documentation - Democrat and Chronicle (1/18/75), Times Record (1/24/75), Democrat and Chronicle (1/28).

I'm going to credit Reece for all six games.

Democrat_and_Chronicle_Sat__Jan_18__1975_.jpg

The_Times_Record_Fri__Jan_24__1975_.jpg

Democrat_and_Chronicle_Tue__Jan_28__1975_.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad