NHL: Around the League 45

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
As the playoffs unwind, no matter what happens this week Gary Bettman and all involved deserve a huge applause for not only salvaging this NHL season but for making it a resounding success story and most importantly for protecting everyone in the NHL bubble.
I certainly would have bet against this going as well as it has. One rare instance where I think Garry deserves credit.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
DeBrincat showed the fire one game these playoffs (game Hawks won against Vegas, I believe.) That’s the DeBrincat the Hawks need, but we saw it once in nine games?

Sorry to say it but most Smurfs on the soft side especially are limited when it comes to playing at crunch time..... without the puck in particular.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Sorry to say it but most Smurfs on the soft side especially are limited when it comes to playing at crunch time..... without the puck in particular.

Point, Johnson, and Gourde are doing it this series. Marchessault does it for vegas. Caggiula was doing it for the Hawks. Also, what about Marchand?

It’s a mentality, not all about just being big. Strome is big and plays much smaller and less aggressively than all the guys I listed.

Whether you’re DeBrincat’s size, or or Strome’s size, you have the ability to play hard and aggressively while still being skilled. You just need to make the choice to do it, and some guys are content choosing not to do it.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I have no idea how the NHL is going to have a season with the following:
1. No bubble
2. US-Canadian border closure

The only viable way to have a season is to have a bubble in Canada again. Since the NHLPA won't agree to it, it looks like the NHL is on hold until Covid is under control, whenever that may be.

This is your opinion, right? I have heard the concept of having 8 bubbles.

The NHL proved it's possible but I do think the NHLPA will have something to say about it happening for a full season. I haven't heard anything negative so far but once the PO's end I'm sure we will hear plenty before a decision is made. A season start on December 1st may be a tad optimistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Point, Johnson, and Gourde are doing it this series. Marchessault does it for vegas. Caggiula was doing it for the Hawks. Also, what about Marchand?

It’s a mentality, not all about just being big. Strome is big and plays much smaller and less aggressively than all the guys I listed.

Whether you’re DeBrincat’s size, or or Strome’s size, you have the ability to play hard and aggressively while still being skilled. You just need to make the choice to do it, and some guys are content choosing not to do it.
Agreed, however (like many smurfs) Cat isn't in the same category when it comes to grit in his game.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Very true....Strome plays small because he's slow and can get caught out of position though. Cat plays small because he is, but then again Theo Fleury was small and feisty in an era where size ruled.

Unless DeBrincat suddenly becomes Theo Fleury without the puck, what I said earlier regarding Cat.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
This is your opinion, right? I have heard the concept of having 8 bubbles.

The NHL proved it's possible but I do think the NHLPA will have something to say about it happening for a full season. I haven't heard anything negative so far but once the PO's end I'm sure we will hear plenty before a decision is made.
No. The NHLPA rejected regular season bubbles. They won't agree to it.

Maybe they'll reconsider if it leads to the season being cancelled. Without the players agreeing to a bubble in Canada I don't see how they can have a season. Not to mention the financial ramifications of not being able to have fans for the foreseeable future.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Agreed, however (like many smurfs) Cat isn't in the same category when it comes to grit in his game.

Ya, because he’s choosing not to be imo. If he’s going to make an impact as a playoff player, he needs to be that aggressive guy we saw once.

I think he’s capable of doing it, just has to want to do it. Gourde, Johnson, and Point are not significantly bigger or heavier, but have made the decision to play hard and aggressively even though they’re small guys with skill.

Reactions: BobbyJet

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I haven't read anything about it, but I'm not surprised that players (of any league) would be against a bubble situation for a whole season. It's one thing to do playoffs, but 6 months or whatever is a long time. That said, I don't know what the solution is.

Reactions: JaegerDice

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
No. The NHLPA rejected regular season bubbles. They won't agree to it.

Maybe they'll reconsider if it leads to the season being cancelled. Without the players agreeing to a bubble in Canada I don't see how they can have a season. Not to mention the financial ramifications of not being able to have fans for the foreseeable future.
No doubt that Bettman has his work cut out for him. I can see him negotiating for a shortened season with the hope that an antidote for this Virus is on the horizon. Possibly delaying the start date to 2021.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The Tampa Bay Lightning are the 2020 Stanley Cup Champions

2-0 win in game 6

Pretty happy for TB fans

Team is likeable and there was no animosity from 2015 series... Infact I enjoyed the 2004 TB win back in day

Reactions: Muffinalt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad