OT: NHL All-Time Draft

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Morenz

Shore
Kelly (And an insanely useful ability to play both C and D very well)

Clarke
Fetisov

Your value in these things is almost always going to be in very old players or Euros whether Clarke wore a Flyers jersey or not. Morenz is the original generational talent. When adjusted for era, his 7 year scoring peak is right up there with Crosby and Richard, just short of Beliveau. He's in a completely different conversation than everyone else here unless you're putting a huge emphasis on Shore's Harts.

Brodeur's bad, but Francis is even worse. Is there even an argument he should be a 2nd rounder let alone a 1st? Off the top of my head, he's not a top 100 player.

Viachaslav Fetisov is my round 2 pick

<3

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Morenz

Shore
Kelly (And an insanely useful ability to play both C and D very well)

Clarke
Fetisov

Your value in these things is almost always going to be in very old players or Euros whether Clarke wore a Flyers jersey or not. Morenz is the original generational talent. When adjusted for era, his 7 year scoring peak is right up there with Crosby and Richard, just short of Beliveau. He's in a completely different conversation than everyone else here unless you're putting a huge emphasis on Shore's Harts.

Brodeur's bad, but Francis is even worse. Is there even an argument he should be a 2nd rounder let alone a 1st? Off the top of my head, he's not a top 100 player.

<3
Fetisov is my jam. A heart from JoJo will not be forgotten

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Feel like the Rangers got a steal here with Richard.

A lot of great defensemen on the board, but you know the Flyers are going with Clarke.

@JojoTheWhale Francis was voted in the NHL's top 100 a couple of years ago and the the list is objectively perfect, so of course he is a top 100 player. :sarcasm:

Edit: never officially voted, I guess. My pick here would be Kelly (why go just D when you can pick a D who was also an all time great forward?), but I understand the Clarke vote.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Gonna copy Jo cause I have little knowledge of the game’s history and Clarke needs some punishment for forgetting the Captain’s name

Morenz

The History of Hockey board here is really excellent. They're even collaborating with the Society for International Hockey Research now.

For some reference, here's their last top 100 list with the discussions linked at the end of the post. It's not gospel, but it's made by people who at least try to contextualize the older eras and non-NHLers. Lists were vetted to ensure this. Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time (Part 2)

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Dudes I'm gonna be honest with you I have no idea who Morenz is and the fella didn't even put up a point per game in the NHL. Why is he the original great one? First to score on a (very close to) nightly basis?

What I do know is he's listed as 5'9 165. f***ing shrimp. He has no place on my team. He probably didn't even play heavy

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Dudes I'm gonna be honest with you I have no idea who Morenz is and the fella didn't even put up a point per game in the NHL. Why is he the original great one? First to score on a (very close to) nightly basis?

What I do know is he's listed as 5'9 165. f***ing shrimp. He has no place on my team. He probably didn't even play heavy

You have no reason to know who Morenz is unless you've looked into the era. Nothing wrong with that at all.

His first 6 years (most of his prime) were played with forward passes being illegal in the offensive zone. At no point in his career could you make a pass that crossed a blue line. Yes, seriously.

He's generally credited as being the first player to transcend hockey circles and put the game on the map. I could write up something ham-fisted or I could just link you to this post: Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 3. That's way better than I'll ever be able to do.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
You have no reason to know who Morenz is unless you've looked into the era. Nothing wrong with that at all.

His first 6 years (most of his prime) were played with forward passes being illegal in the offensive zone. At no point in his career could you make a pass that crossed a blue line. Yes, seriously.

He's generally credited as being the first player to transcend hockey circles and put the game on the map. I could write up something ham-fisted or I could just link you to this post: Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 3. That's way better than I'll ever be able to do.
No kidding. So he essentially did all of that literally himself. Wow

I'll be sure to take a look at that link

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

There are also posts with a slew of newspaper clips pondering if Gordie Howe was better than Morenz or not. He's the forgotten great one.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No kidding. So he essentially did all of that literally himself. Wow

I'll be sure to take a look at that link

Yeah, his skating was on a different level than everyone else which gave him a huge advantage. Even with the garbage skates that were being used then there are scattered film clips of him soaring past everyone. I recall one where he was moving with speed that would be quick today.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
We are actually probably doing this wrong. Most people will probably have ignored Morenz for ages, we probably should get Clarke now and Morenz after.

We should get Clarke now because it's a great pick. The elite two-way skills, the leadership - those things actually matter, particularly when you are starting a franchise. He's a tone-setter, and not necessarily limited to "Broad Street Bully" tones. I like Jojo's pick as well, but there's nothing wrong with Clarke here whatsoever. There would be if it were massively influenced by homerism, and while some votes are effected by that, mine certainly wasn't - if anything I would go the other way, because I hate that shit as much as @FLYguy3911 does.

This reminds me of the Ricci pick in 1990. We were in basically the same position, building a team from scratch. He was the right pick at #4, and would have been the right pick at #1, for us in the context of our individual situation. Clarkie is a great pick here for the same reasons that Ricci was then.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
We should get Clarke now because it's a great pick. The elite two-way skills, the leadership - those things actually matter, particularly when you are starting a franchise. He's a tone-setter, and not necessarily limited to "Broad Street Bully" tones. I like Jojo's pick as well, but there's nothing wrong with Clarke here whatsoever. There would be if it were massively influenced by homerism, and while some votes are effected by that, mine certainly wasn't - if anything I would go the other way, because I hate that shit as much as @FLYguy3911 does.

This reminds me of the Ricci pick in 1990. We were in basically the same position, building a team from scratch. He was the right pick at #4, and would have been the right pick at #1, for us in the context of our individual situation. Clarkie is a great pick here for the same reasons that Ricci was then.

Great post.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
We are actually probably doing this wrong. Most people will probably have ignored Morenz for ages, we probably should get Clarke now and Morenz after.

I'm looking at Dallas taking Harvey and thinking someone there won't let it happen.

Also, how the hell did I miss Hawerchuk going 17? Hahahahahaha. At least Lindros was just people going full galaxy brain. I can't fathom a justification for that.

My votes are going to look like a Vaudevillian Speed Skating act plus Al MacInnis. I stick to my brand, @Captain Dave Poulin

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'm looking at Dallas taking Harvey and thinking someone there won't let it happen.

Also, how the hell did I miss Hawerchuk going 17? Hahahahahaha. At least Lindros was just people going full galaxy brain. I can't fathom a justification for that.

My votes are going to look like a Vaudevillian Speed Skating act plus Al MacInnis. I stick to my brand, @Captain Dave Poulin

Shore not being gone by this point is equally mystifying to me

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

"With their pick in the third round of the NHL All-Time Draft, the Philadelphia Flyers select chain-smoking bald bastard Al Iafrate."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad