OT: NHL All-Time Draft

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Hello from the NYR Boards. Life without hockey's been somewhat boring lately, as I'm sure you're all aware, so I decided to do something to pass the time. Namely, an All-Time draft. The rules of such a draft are as follows:

1. Every team gets a single pick, and the draft order follows the standings as of 3/20/2020 (the first day of the draft), which will be posted in a follow-up post in the thread below. So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible
3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr
4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant)
6. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
7. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll
8. I won't set up a starting poll (if one is requested) until sufficient votes have been cast, so as not to prematurely restrict choices

Nashville, you are now on the clock with the 13th pick in the 2020 NHL All-Time Draft!

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
1. Detroit Red Wings- Wayne Gretzky
2. Ottawa Senators- Mario Lemieux
3. San Jose Sharks- Bobby Orr
4. Los Angeles Kings- Gordie Howe
5. Anaheim Ducks- Jaromir Jagr
6. New Jersey Devils- Nicklas Lidstrom
7. Buffalo Sabres- Dominik Hasek
8. Montreal Canadiens- Jean Beliveau
9. Chicago Blackhawks- Mark Messier
10. Arizona Coyotes- Eric Lindros
11. Minnesota Wild- Joe Sakic
12. Vancouver Canucks- Steve Yzerman
13. Nashville Predators- On the Clock
14. Florida Panthers-
15. Calgary Flames-
16. New York Rangers-
17. Winnipeg Jets-
18. New York Islanders-
19. Columbus Blue Jackets-
20. Toronto Maple Leafs-
21. Carolina Hurricanes-
22. Dallas Stars-
23. Edmonton Oilers-
24. Vegas Golden Knights-
25. Pittsburgh Penguins-
26. Philadelphia Flyers-
27. Washington Capitals-
28. Tampa Bay Lightning-
29. Colorado Avalanche-
30. St Louis Blues-
31. Boston Bruins-

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This isn't a vote yet... just listing some options for folks to mull over... Sidney Crosby? Maurice Richard? Ovechkin? Go ultra young and bet on McDavid? I don't think we want to go goalie yet, but are Roy and Brodeur next up? On D there's Harvey, Bourque, Potvin maybe but seems a little early given Crosby and Ovechkin are on the board.

I don't think we have to worry about making a homer pick yet... all our guys would still be on the board in the 2nd round, probably even 3rd or 4th. Even PForsberg and Kariya.

We probably have to take Crosby don't we? :dunno:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
This isn't a vote yet... just listing some options for folks to mull over... Sidney Crosby? Maurice Richard? Ovechkin? Go ultra young and bet on McDavid? I don't think we want to go goalie yet, but are Roy and Brodeur next up? On D there's Harvey, Bourque, Potvin maybe but seems a little early given Crosby and Ovechkin are on the board.

I don't think we have to worry about making a homer pick yet... all our guys would still be on the board in the 2nd round, probably even 3rd or 4th. Even PForsberg and Kariya.

We probably have to take Crosby don't we? :dunno:

(Read point #2 again. And don't worry, every team since LA has had at least one person saying something like this)

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Admittedly just my opinions, but I feel the best players still on the board are (in no particular order):

F: Forsberg, Richard, Bossy, Hull
D: Shore, Bourque, Harvey, Potvin
G: Roy, Sawchuk

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm just going to go ahead and vote: Peter Forsberg

Small homerism... he didn't get much time with us, but it was an exciting season and exciting acquisition at the time. So all else being "in the ballpark", I can let a little homerism tip the balance. It probably wouldn't have been too bad a trade either if we just had let Philly keep the Blum 1st. I guess the GMs must have schemed it that way, I don't even remember, but losing Hartnell and Timonen before the draft to get the pick back is what ultimately hurt more.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
This is not OT....

It is ATD.

As in the all-time draft board here at HfBoards I have been participating in for over 15 years.

OF COURSE the next name is Doug Harvey or Bobby Hull.

EDIT: this draft went to pot after the top 4.

EDIT2: The first Preds off the board will be Forsberg (about 50th all time), Kariya (100ish) and Weber (140ish - Suter a couple of dozen picks back). In a sane universe.

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
This is not OT....

It is ATD.

As in the all-time draft board here at HfBoards I have been participating in for over 15 years.

OF COURSE the next name is Doug Harvey or Bobby Hull.

EDIT: this draft went to pot after the top 4.

EDIT2: The first Preds off the board will be Forsberg (about 50th all time), Kariya (100ish) and Weber (140ish - Suter a couple of dozen picks back). In a sane universe.

Ngl, I didn't even know there was an all time board, so I figured OT was an acceptable prefix. Fortunately thus far I've gotten no pushback from any mods or anything, so I figured it was all fine & dandy

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ngl, I didn't even know there was an all time board, so I figured OT was an acceptable prefix. Fortunately thus far I've gotten no pushback from any mods or anything, so I figured it was all fine & dandy
Oh, it is okay.

Not fine or dandy.

But okay.

It's just my post (which informed YOU of our HfBoards board - which you and others are welcome to join) is also okay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad