News Article: NHL 30 in 30: Winnipeg Jets

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
*sigh* having most of it hang on the goaltending makes me incredibly uneasy.

Pavelec is Pavelec and Hutch the jury is still out on. We need a bona-fide #1 and we need him now. Hellebuyck has a very good chance of being that guy, but as mentioned before the only real chance we see him in the NHL is if both Pavs and Hutch are ******** the bed big time or injuries. Also, who knows by that point where we are in the standings.

Bleh.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
From everything I heard a deal was there to be had with Fro all along but we (not necessarily Chevy) overplayed their hand. See Tanner Glass as exhibit A (thank god that didn't work out). A situation where TNSE met the offer that would have got the deal done but they waited until they were on the courthouse steps to get there and the player decided to try free agency? My source could be wrong but even as a non gambler I would bet the house on its accuracy.

Hey its negotiations sometimes you get it right sometimes you chunk it.

News flash most of the wives would rather be in another city during the winter but they get the drill. On the bright side the players really like playing here for this organization.

I like this post except for the bolded. Everytime something that is clearly the job of the GM goes badly, or wrong or whatever some people immediately pop up with this 'maybe it wasn't Chevy' stuff. Well maybe it was Santa Claus but it is Chevy's department and he gets to carry the can for it. This is the inverse of the 'Chevy doesn't get credit for drafting. That is the scouts' thing. Drafting is also Chevy's department and he gets the credit. :rant:

To the 30 in 30 topic in hand I get why Calgary is the new bright shinny object to the press.....they had a great run last year (against the odds). But since the playoffs they have added a full time Bennett, Frolik, Hamilton, and Gio is back.

Honestly I think they overachieved last season but they have got some nice new pieces added to the mix this season.

The Jets lost Fro, traded Kane, and if we flip Buff (who knows) that is allot of possession lost. We get back Burmi we add Stafford and we have a boat load of young guys knocking at the door. As usual most of it is going to come down to goaltending again for us.

I like this post too, no caveats.

Calgary overachieved last year. They could get a similar result this year and be able to live up to it.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
From everything I heard a deal was there to be had with Fro all along but we (not necessarily Chevy) overplayed their hand. See Tanner Glass as exhibit A (thank god that didn't work out). A situation where TNSE met the offer that would have got the deal done but they waited until they were on the courthouse steps to get there and the player decided to try free agency? My source could be wrong but even as a non gambler I would bet the house on its accuracy.

Hey its negotiations sometimes you get it right sometimes you chunk it.

News flash most of the wives would rather be in another city during the winter but they get the drill. On the bright side the players really like playing here for this organization.

That's pretty much the way I see it too -- can't win them all. But I agree with Mort that Chevy gets the credit for the good deals, trades & making the final decision on draft, but he need to take the rap for the bad contracts as well. I'll include Pavs "big mistake", Fro's "1 year & you're home free" contract, & Thorburn's "lets reward you for being such a great guy" contract.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
That's pretty much the way I see it too -- can't win them all. But I agree with Mort that Chevy gets the credit for the good deals, trades & making the final decision on draft, but he need to take the rap for the bad contracts as well. I'll include Pavs "big mistake", Fro's "1 year & you're home free" contract, & Thorburn's "lets reward you for being such a great guy" contract.

I agree on those three (and would personally add Stu), albeit there is some method to the madness... even if we disagree with the madness (and perhaps the method).

Pavs - At the time and given what Pavs had done, it was not market value.
Why - There was the KHL risk.
Although - There is the argument that if the Jets let Pavelec walk they would have been able to replace him at low cost and have 2/3 seasons with likely similar or better results.

Frolik - They had the 4x4 and went for short term.
Why - Frolik had lower scoring numbers in Chicago. He might not repeat.
Although - Underlying suggested Frolik was a legitimate second line player and his scoring level was similar to his top6 days in Florida.

Thorburn - They signed Thorburn to 1.2 when similar players statistically tend to make ~900k.
Why - A) Thorburn provides intangibles, is a nice guy, and loyalty. B) He is also still a bonafide statistical 4th liner in scoring.
Although - A) 30% nice guy bonus is pretty substantial. B) He has spent a significant non-zero TOI with skilled players. In fact, he spent more time with Lowry than Slater last season.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like this post except for the bolded. Everytime something that is clearly the job of the GM goes badly, or wrong or whatever some people immediately pop up with this 'maybe it wasn't Chevy' stuff. Well maybe it was Santa Claus but it is Chevy's department and he gets to carry the can for it. This is the inverse of the 'Chevy doesn't get credit for drafting. That is the scouts' thing. Drafting is also Chevy's department and he gets the credit. :rant:

I like this post too, no caveats.

Calgary overachieved last year. They could get a similar result this year and be able to live up to it.

To be clear I 100% agree with you accept if in this case it is his boss. I am not saying it is but I am saying that would be the case I would say it might be a bit more out of his hands.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

IMO Chevy owns these.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
To be clear I 100% agree with you accept if in this case it is his boss. I am not saying it is but I am saying that would be the case I would say it might be a bit more out of his hands.

Except that is just the pattern I'm complaining about. We have no reason to even remotely suspect it might be his boss but somebody brings that up every time there is the remotest possibility of criticizing Chevy. 'It might have been Chipman.' Not impossible but it is in Chevy's job description not Chipman's. There is nothing but speculation to suggest it might have been Chipman. There is no evidence that Chipman is an interfering owner. Maybe we should credit Chipman with the Jets' successful drafting too if we are going to assume that he is pulling the strings for Chevy.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
You have no idea what he was offered by the Jets. That isn't information that is made available to the general public, so people should stop acting like they "know" this. My personal unverifiable speculative opinion is that he and his SO didn't want to remain in Winnipeg (the city) for personal reasons.

Dear nobody important,

We have a pretty good idea, there was lots of reporting and media conversation about it.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Goaltending could sink the ship, as many are pointing out, but that holds true for any team in the league. There is an old saying: "Goaltending is 50% of the game, except when you have bad goaltending it's 80% of the game". The Jets are not the worst in this category. I would take Pav-Hutch over the other west Canadian clubs goalies based on last years performance.

Talbot - Scrivens
Miller - I don't even know who Vans backup is now (some plug)
Hiller - Ramo

The worst case scenario is disastrous goaltending or injury, in which case the silver lining will be getting to see Hellebyuck (still can't spell that I think). Every team is a torn groin away from missing their starting goaltender for months. If we can get average goaltending again, I see the team making a big step forward.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Goaltending could sink the ship, as many are pointing out, but that holds true for any team in the league. There is an old saying: "Goaltending is 50% of the game, except when you have bad goaltending it's 80% of the game". The Jets are not the worst in this category. I would take Pav-Hutch over the other west Canadian clubs goalies based on last years performance.

Talbot - Scrivens
Hiller - Ramo

The worst case scenario is disastrous goaltending or injury, in which case the silver lining will be getting to see Hellebyuck (still can't spell that I think). Every team is a torn groin away from missing their starting goaltender for months. If we can get average goaltending again, I see the team making a big step forward.

Fortunately Pavs is immune from those sort of injuries:cry:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Talbot - Scrivens
Hiller - Ramo

The bold is the whole point. The uncertainty surrounding our goaltending is very high. If you look at the range of possibilities last year's results are not in the middle. They are at the very top of the range. What are the odds of getting the best possible result 2 years running?

jetman

May 21, 2015
Pavelec in all likelihood won't be as good this year, but he usually starts the year off doing pretty good before he falters a month or so into the season.

Hutchinson has a least a decent chance at being better than last year. We will also be a lot quicker this year to give him starts than last year as well.

I'm pretty sure the Jets aren't blind to just how good Hellebuyck is looking right now either. Unless Pavs and Hutch are absolutely killing it, he will get a chance with the Jets sometime this year.

I think we will get around average goaltending next year.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada

Talbot - Scrivens
Hiller - Ramo

Markstrom is their backup and according to THN he is not plug but in fact the best goalie prospect currently.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad