News Article: NHL 30 in 30: Winnipeg Jets

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The NHL is doing a series of 30 teams in 30 days, highlighting their strengths, weaknesses, pipelines, off-season, and likelihood of a playoff berth next season. Monday is supposed to be when they release the Jets' report, but the YouTube video is available now.

I can't really say that I disagree with his assessment. The Jets will once again be in tough to make the playoffs, and are more reliant on prospect and young core maturation than last season. Coupled with as many question marks in net as ever, and we have a recipe for a 20-10 place finish in the league.

Ah, the bubble team life. -_-

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
If we're putting stock into what analysts think of the Jets in the pre-season, why don't we rewind to last year and count how many had us making the playoffs. I doubt any analysts thought the Jets were even a bubble team.

I think things are only going to improve...

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If Hellebuyck plays over 20 games, the Jets are in the playoffs.

Also, there is virtually no chance Patrick Kane will play the whole year. If Kane is suspended for most of the season, the Jets will make the playoffs.

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg

Also, there is virtually no chance Patrick Kane will play the whole year. If Kane is suspended for most of the season, the Jets will make the playoffs.

I have a hard time seeing one player on an other team being the reason Jets are out or in. Losing Kane for a chunk of the season makes the Blackhawks a non playoff team and that puts Jets in?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

That's a pretty bizarre proclamation.

I think there's a better chance we don't make the playoffs than we do. However, I don't necessarily think that means we've taken a step back. Rather, I think last year we probably did a bit better than we should have. I think we're moving to a place where we have what it takes to be a consistent playoff team and we'll likely be close again this year but we're not quite there yet...

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
That's a pretty bizarre proclamation.

I think there's a better chance we don't make the playoffs than we do. However, I don't necessarily think that means we've taken a step back. Rather, I think last year we probably did a bit better than we should have. I think we're moving to a place where we have what it takes to be a consistent playoff team and we'll likely be close again this year but we're not quite there yet...

Why? We were a top 10 possession team last year, and at times, nearing a top 5 possession team. That correlates very nicely to a strong team that wins games. If the Jets can continue that, and get reasonable goaltending, I don't think there's any reason for them to not make the playoffs again next year.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Oh yeah I mean we're right around that line and certainly can do it. We'll see. But we certainly weren't "comfortably" in a playoff spot last year. It was a war to get in. If a couple of our young guys make the team and contribute in a meaningful way though and if we get the goaltending from whoever we may be just fine.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Oh yeah I mean we're right around that line and certainly can do it. We'll see. But we certainly weren't "comfortably" in a playoff spot last year. It was a war to get in. If a couple of our young guys make the team and contribute in a meaningful way though and if we get the goaltending from whoever we may be just fine.

Playoffs are always a war to get in. NHL teams play the most grueing season out of any sport.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Why? We were a top 10 possession team last year, and at times, nearing a top 5 possession team. That correlates very nicely to a strong team that wins games. If the Jets can continue that, and get reasonable goaltending, I don't think there's any reason for them to not make the playoffs again next year.

Precisely. People often claim the reason the Jets made the playoffs is because Pavelec played better at times last year. The reality is the reason that the Jets made the playoffs last year (and also the reason that Pavelec's numbers improved a bit) is due that they committed from day one to playing better team-defense in front of their goalies, and didn't give the puck away as often via improved possession play.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

If Helle plays 20 games it probably means the other 2 were so bad we were out of PO contention before he even got called up.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Playoffs are always a war to get in. NHL teams play the most grueing season out of any sport.

Of course.

However, some teams are able to survive that war and still have something in the tank for the post season. The Jets were pretty worn out by the time they got there. We can certainly make it in again this season. I just think that we still need to add a few pieces before we'll be able to do much more than squeak in and make an early exit...and we haven't really added much this off season. Like I said though if a couple of the young guys get in and contribute who knows??

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Of course.

However, some teams are able to survive that war and still have something in the tank for the post season. The Jets were pretty worn out by the time they got there. We can certainly make it in again this season. I just think that we still need to add a few pieces before we'll be able to do much more than squeak in and make an early exit...and we haven't really added much this off season. Like I said though if a couple of the young guys get in and contribute who knows??

I don't think we added this off season because our prospects are ready to make the jump. Ehlers is going to be very exciting to watch this year, I hope he sticks with the team and tears it up.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

We had 99 points last year despite NOT playing in the same division as Edm & Ari or any other tanking team. We were only 3 pts out of 7th in the league, the Hawks. That in spite of a nearly disastrous run of injuries to our D.

We will miss Frolik this year but all indications are that we should be a better team over all. If we match last year's goaltending we should be in and a little more comfortably than last year. If we get Pavelecian goaltending we will not make it. Pretty much that simple.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Precisely. People often claim the reason the Jets made the playoffs is because Pavelec played better at times last year. The reality is the reason that the Jets made the playoffs last year (and also the reason that Pavelec's numbers improved a bit) is due that they committed from day one to playing better team-defense in front of their goalies, and didn't give the puck away as often via improved possession play.

I agree with the above analyse ...
Of the Jets for the whole year defence dedication which gave them a franchise best goals against record. Paul Maurice put in a new system with an emphasis on fitness and Defence and the whole team bought in........

In a more isolated view ....Pavelacs NHL star of the week in the last week of the season with 3 shutouts also saved the Jets from just coming up short of the post season. Giving Pavelac credit(when it's due) is hard for me as I am not a big fan. I would also add the whole team played out of their mind in the last 10 days of the season and those final games against St Louis Minny and Avalance were some of the most entertaining games I have seen the Jets play.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
saying Mo brought in a system that emphasized defence is akin to saying Mo brought in a system that emphasized scoring more goals than the other team.

it's almost, but not quite, meaningless hockey patter

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The Hawks aren't as good a team WITH Kane in the lineup as last year. If Kane is out of the lineup for an extended period of time (40 games), they will be in trouble to make the playoffs. We'll make the playoffs but not sure if we got out of the first round. We won't if we face the Ducks again.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
saying Mo brought in a system that emphasized defence is akin to saying Mo brought in a system that emphasized scoring more goals than the other team.

Maurice is the single biggest reason the Jets made the playoffs.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I agree with 30 in 30 that the Jets are on the bible due to being in the strongest division in hockey. I predict..... That the 3 rd place team in the Pacific division will have less points than the 6 th place team in the central that does not make the playoffs.

I believe all 7 teams in the Central have the ability to be in the Top 5 in the central and make the playoffs. The 2 teams that do not will go through internal adversity that they do not overcome throughout the season.
Ie) Nashville losing Pekke Rinne to injury 2 years ago.
- Possibly Chicago this year with Kane in Court all year and with all the changes they were forced into from the Salary Cap and having the Stanley Cup Hangover....

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Jets went from bottom third of the league in GA/GP to top third (10th) under Maurice.
That is very meaningful.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Of course.

They may have been worn out. The tank may have been empty. But they were playing quite badly injured. That is a little different. And keep in mind that they lead, what 3 in 4 or all 4 going into the 3rd period. The overall play they matched the Ducks. They didn't get the goaltending. The point is that they were competitive. They were better than 0 and 4 would lead you to believe.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Another 30 in 30 linked in ICDave's Jets Headlines, from CSN Washington. Says some of the same but with a snarky tone. See the quotes below.

"Outlook: What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over again and expecting different results. That's what seems to be going on on Winnipeg after the team was swept in the first round of the playoffs and made no moves in the offseason to get better.

There are some teams out there bursting with young talent. Those teams don't have to do much in the offseason, they simply need to wait for their players to develop into young stars. That's not the case with the Jets."

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-washington-capitals/talk/season-preview-winnipeg-jets

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Alright. Who are these other teams that are bursting with young talent and how is it better than the Jets? Edmonton? Well when you have McDavid that does help you a bit.

Ehlers, Armia, Petan, Morrissey, and Copp all stand to make pushes onto the roster this year. Add Hellebuyck to that list, too. Plus we can hope for more improvements from Scheifele, Trouba, and Lowry. And there are no veterans that I can see taking significant steps backwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad