NHL 21 (Part 2)

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Does it filter players for the coach's system? If I'm looking for a 3rd line 3RW, I'd like to be able to put that in a filter to search instead of having to view each player and page over to what role they'll fit on my team. I know I'm asking alot.

I think you can filter by role, although it's something I don't really use. I generally do position, age and player type.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I look for the same things but a deciding factor is if they'll fit the system.

It'll only tell you their role, to get an idea of their system fit you have to scout them, you should have the option after you open their profile.

It's a bit more accurate than scouting prospects, but it still ends up being wrong a lot. Although, if it tells you they don't fit on any line it's correct almost every time.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
I can't believe EA can't (off course they can they refuse to do it to sell refurbish last year games) add GM online and fans made rosters/draftbases like they have in Madden. What a shit company.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I can't believe EA can't (off course they can they refuse to do it to sell refurbish last year games) add GM online and fans made rosters/draftbases like they have in Madden. What a shit company.
That would take resources away from figuring out what people actually liked from the previous year that they need to break/remove during dev.

Reactions: CapSpace

Browntrout

Apr 2, 2018
I like having an A rated scout that's an A+ in the region they're assigned to and having them give me the wrong system fit for the player I'm drafting.

The information is supposedly 100% accurate, the scouts are supposedly great but when I sign the player and put them into the lineup they don't fit at all.

It's gotten to the point where if my scout is telling me a defenseman is Cycle Pinch I'm assuming they're Pinch Shoot and vice versa.

Scouting needs overhauled, I know it's know it's not realistic for them to be totally accurate every time but some of the time would be nice. Especially when I've manually scouted a player 3 or 4 times.

The whole chemistry mechanic is kneecapped by AI generated players not fitting into any systems. Franchise snipers like strategies meant for grinders and even if they fit on the regular lines they probably won't fit in the power play.

It sucks because chemistry is a lot of fun when it works right.

Totally agree about the bolded. The recent one I saw was a franchise playmaker, who’s comparable was Gretzky, had a preference to dump the puck, block shots, and crash the net. Basically unusable with an offensive type roster.

Reactions: Zen Arcade

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Totally agree about the bolded. The recent one I saw was a franchise playmaker, who’s comparable was Gretzky, had a preference to dump the puck, block shots, and crash the net. Basically unusable with an offensive type roster.

They should go back to the old chemistry format. Maybe coaches give a boost across the board to certain attributes whether they're offensive or defensive minded, but chemistry should stick between lines and pairings and not coaching schemes.

The way it's done now simply doesn't work. I draft my players given their position and player type in hopes of pairing them together, but it always seems to happen where my top-line guys never fit the coach's scheme, so they end up having no chemistry and I have to go through a ton of coaches in order to find a fit where my line-up gets a small boost.

Browntrout

Apr 2, 2018
They should go back to the old chemistry format. Maybe coaches give a boost across the board to certain attributes whether they're offensive or defensive minded, but chemistry should stick between lines and pairings and not coaching schemes.

The way it's done now simply doesn't work. I draft my players given their position and player type in hopes of pairing them together, but it always seems to happen where my top-line guys never fit the coach's scheme, so they end up having no chemistry and I have to go through a ton of coaches in order to find a fit where my line-up gets a small boost.

Yep. It’s just overdone. It’s too complicated and random.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Played my first games in HUT since mid-December tonight. I was finally able to access HUT long enough to redeem my Master Icons for an 88 player, alas, no Lafleur but I selected Béliveau over Gordie as the "experts" say he is better within the game (better speed and offensive prowess). Only one network error all night. I hope this means EA has made improvements. Riddle with network errors and crashes previously.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
This game is on sale, is it worth picking up to play online? I've never played HUT, I enjoy vs mode. Probably won't dig into the offline modes too much. Trying to decide between this and Fifa, need a sports fix while I wait for the next generation sports games to come out (though I doubt there will be a huge improvement).

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This game is on sale, is it worth picking up to play online? I've never played HUT, I enjoy vs mode. Probably won't dig into the offline modes too much. Trying to decide between this and Fifa, need a sports fix while I wait for the next generation sports games to come out (though I doubt there will be a huge improvement).
It's just barely worth it at half price if you want to play online with friends.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
So I bought it, and man I can tell it's gonna be a struggle. I haven't had an NHL game since 13, and the one timers are just so annoying, especially when you're starting out in HUT with a weaker team than anyone else. The goalies just move completely out of position on any pass across the front of the net, and I don't have the defencemen with good enough skating to always get in the right spots to cut off passes. And it sucks that everyone I've played against so far just goes for one timers, and that I feel like I have to go for them to score any goals. This one seems like kind of a waste of money for someone who wanted to get into the online modes.

Edit: After playing a bit more, I think it's just HUT that sucks for me right now, due to my underpowered team.

Last edited:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Every Ones match is either me destroying people... or one person about my skill level or abusing the shit out of the game, and the other person deciding the match by how "in the way" they can get.

(Usually in MY way because I'm not the type of person...)

If you're the type of person to dipsy doodle for 2 minutes waiting for the non-useless person on the ice to overcommit, or spend your life practicing to find the one spot on the ice where you can exploit top shelf wristers going in 100% of the time, please step in front of a bus. Line up big hits, make some cool dekes, do something other than one of those two first things, something, anything, for the love of God please.

The mode was a lot of fun at first but I'd be lying if I said it isn't completely overrun with this crap now. I'm not sure what the answer is, I don't think there is one... but I'd love if next gen EA can focus on rewarding creative play instead of relentlessly punishing it in favor of those who have made a career out of abusing its weak spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
They just need to make the goalies better, and maybe let you get away with a few more pokes. If the goalies could stop one timers, then players would try other things. Or at least you wouldn't feel like you have to go for one timers to keep up. Pretty much every goal scored in the games I played this morning were one timers, which just kinda sucks.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
They must have figured the game isn't fun if yo can stick check the same way you can hit guys off the puck.
The whole defence aspect of the game is lining people up for huge hits. If they swapped that out for more realistic stick-checking that didn't draw a tripping penalty every time, this would be better.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Am I the only one who sucks at getting the puck out of the zone on PK's? I don't know what i'm doing wrong. Every clearing attempt ends up getting batted out of the air by some ops at my blueline or scooped up deep in the neutral zone by some ops using his hands. Holding RB + Up is all i use. Not sure what the hell else i'm supposed to be doing but getting height and distance has been way too rare.

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
They must have figured the game isn't fun if yo can stick check the same way you can hit guys off the puck.
The whole defence aspect of the game is lining people up for huge hits. If they swapped that out for more realistic stick-checking that didn't draw a tripping penalty every time, this would be better.

I actually think it's the opposite at least in online modes. If you look at any of the top players in versus or teams in EASHL stick checking is pretty much all they do. You just have to get the timing right and manually guide it to the puck. I play as a defenceman in EASHL and I find it almost overpowered especially when crossing the blue line.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I actually think it's the opposite at least in online modes. If you look at any of the top players in versus or teams in EASHL stick checking is pretty much all they do. You just have to get the timing right and manually guide it to the puck. I play as a defenceman in EASHL and I find it almost overpowered especially when crossing the blue line.
The computer does that to me too. Just scoops the puck away perfectly all the time. Feels a bit cheap when they do it after I've powered past the D-man on the wing and he scoops the puck away from behind me

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
This is the best AI generated player name I've had in a while.
Screenshot-20210413-041219.png

Tastes miraculous!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad