NHL 1st Overall slogan

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Wasn't Hall and RNH not consensus #1s? As in throughout the season no one knew who was #1? So you can add "Don't win for Seguin" and "Lose games in a Hurry for Murray"? Or Stop trying for Ryan works for both RNH and Ryan Murray.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Wasn't Hall and RNH not consensus #1s? As in throughout the season no one knew who was #1? So you can add "Don't win for Seguin" and "Lose games in a Hurry for Murray"? Or Stop trying for Ryan works for both RNH and Ryan Murray.

Murray was 2012, not 2011.

I don’t remember there being any tank slogans in the NHL before Fail for Nail, although I could be wrong. The first one in sports that I remember was Suck for Luck during the 2011 NFL season for the 2012 NFL Draft, and then shortly after that one started being used, NHL fans started using Fail for Nail during the 2011-12 season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I really dont get why people say that. Sam Constantino, for example, is already flagging Holtz and Raymond as challengers for number 1 overall. Both of them play in the two clubs that met in the SHL playoffs finals last year, so if they make their pro rosters it means they will have beaten out some pretty skilled players for roster spots.

I think people are definitely sleeping on the European's in this draft. Lafreniere - while being a great prospect - is not seen as a McDavid/Crosby or even Matthews/Tavares level home run out of the park, must draft number 1 overall.
I think he's viewed similarly to guys like Matthews/Hall/Stamkos/JT entering his draft season. The key will be maintaining his stock. He'll probably end up viewed similarly to how Taylor Hall was viewed at the day of his draft, although, they are very different players in regards to skill-set and play-style. It is becoming rare for wingers to go 1OA, with only 2 drafted there since 2010 (Hall and Yakupov). That is one reason Byfield is just as big a threat as the two Swedish wingers. While 2020 looks deep, only Byfield and Lundell are consensus top 10 guys right now who play center.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Been plenty of 1st overall euros lately. Just no finnish ones :)
Did you even see what I was talking about...?

Only Rasmus Dahlin recently was a #1OA from Europe. The last one before him was Alex Ovechkin, but that was over Malkin - there was no NA competition. As I said, "clearly better". But heck, I was not even referring to actual NHL drafts, but the draft rankings by media outlets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad