OT: NHL 15 & General Video Game Discussion Part Six

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
So I've got a question for anyone with an Xbone.

How's the D-Pad compared to the 360?

And does anyone know if there are plans to market an adapter to let people use Xbone controllers on Windows?

Okay two questions.

I do not own a 360, but I do own a 360 wireless controller with the windows adapter because the controller is pretty much the best wireless controller ever....except for the D-Pad.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
So I've got a question for anyone with an Xbone.

How's the D-Pad compared to the 360?

And does anyone know if there are plans to market an adapter to let people use Xbone controllers on Windows?

Okay two questions.

I do not own a 360, but I do own a 360 wireless controller with the windows adapter because the controller is pretty much the best wireless controller ever....except for the D-Pad.

Don't have one but here's what I've heard. Apparently the D-Pad is a huge improvement. I don't know if the drivers have been released yet but the Micro USB port will eventually enable it to be used as a wired controller on PC.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Don't have one but here's what I've heard. Apparently the D-Pad is a huge improvement. I don't know if the drivers have been released yet but the Micro USB port will eventually enable it to be used as a wired controller on PC.

Eh...wireless capability is what I want. Wired controllers are so two generations ago.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I have two players in Live the Life that I'm switching depending on my mood. My primary character is modeled after myself, 6'1" 220lbs power forward center. Played a full season in CHL, got drafted 1st overall to the Jets but sent down after pre-season. I simply destroyed the AHL for about 7-8 games, got called up, worked my way to the 1st line and after about 35 games I have something like 60 or so points (can't check for sure right now).

Second player is a 6'6" enforcer D-man from Latvia. Went straight to NHL since I wanted to play for the Wild. Not many points but a killer slapper and will destroy any opposing forward who wants to cross the blue line.

OpRedDawn*

xbone should've just re-released the 360 one with better dpad

i hear the ps4 controller is the "best" so far, but the battery life suffers because of that stupid giant flashlight attached to it

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
xbone should've just re-released the 360 one with better dpad

i hear the ps4 controller is the "best" so far, but the battery life suffers because of that stupid giant flashlight attached to it

That light confuses me.
I've heard that the touchpad actually is pretty nice though.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The touchpad on the ps4 controller looks like it could be the most useful addition to a controller since handles and analog sticks.

I hope they make that controller fully functional with a computer too.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
The touchpad on the ps4 controller looks like it could be the most useful addition to a controller since handles and analog sticks.

I hope they make that controller fully functional with a computer too.

I tried one at Best Buy and honestly it seems a lot like the rear touchpad on the Vita, which is incredibly clumsy and wasn't at all dictated by what developers wanted to put in their games. There are almost no games that use the Vita pad, and I kind of dread when they do, because it's really awkward to shift my hands over to use it, and also really imprecise in the absence of either a cursor or a screen underneath to serve as a reference. Everything new that Sony comes up with seems to mostly be to get bullet points on the box and not actually because there's any obvious use for it. (Exception: adding a second joystick when they revised the original PS1 controller to stay competitive--2 joysticks actually turned out to be super useful).

All that said, stupid gimmicks aside, I will give Sony credit that they finally made a controller that's comfortable to hold and use. Actually shaped like human hands, joysticks aren't crap, triggers are correctly shaped (though still a little mushy). This is far and away the best controller they've ever made, and unless the Xbone controller feels dramatically different from the 360 (unlikely) I think it's safe to say Sony finally closed the controller gap.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Tried doing HUT. It feels extremely saturated with player cards and stuff. Not to mention the whole Bronze, Silver, Gold thing is confusing as ****.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
and unless the Xbone controller feels dramatically different from the 360 (unlikely) I think it's safe to say Sony finally closed the controller gap.

I've held it, and maybe it was just my hands, but the Xbox One controller fit perfectly, almost form fittingly in my hands. I haven't held the PS4 controller yet, but if it's anything like the PS3's controller I won't be impressed.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I've held it, and maybe it was just my hands, but the Xbox One controller fit perfectly, almost form fittingly in my hands. I haven't held the PS4 controller yet, but if it's anything like the PS3's controller I won't be impressed.

It's nothing like the PS3 controller, actually. Huge improvement and Sony is finally shipping a controller that isn't fundamentally the same template as the friggin' SNES controller.

I'm guessing I'll still slightly prefer the Xbone controller, but I don't think it'll be like last gen where the controller alone was enough of a difference to make up my mind on which one to make my primary.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
One thing gamers lost when consoles got hard drives was the assurance that the game they were getting was fully functional. Now they all release early cause they know they can just patch things.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
one thing gamers lost when consoles got hard drives was the assurance that the game they were getting was fully functional. Now they all release as unfinished cluster****s cause they know they can just charge you for "dlc" to fix things.

ftfy.

Nope, not bitter with gaming at all. :laugh:

This is why I'm moving to PC. Easier to patch things through Steam or directly.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Good developments this generation:
HD
Patches with new features and bugfixes
DLC that adds features or new content to an aging game
Fully-fleshed-out online multiplayer
Convenient digital downloads
Ability for indie developers to self-publish
Detailed open worlds
Achievements

Bad developments this generation:
Releasing games unfinished because "you can just fix it later"
"Microtransactions" and pay-to-win
DLC that removes features and sells them back to you
Digital downloads with anti-consumer DRM
Killing local multiplayer to sell more copies for online
More obnoxious collectibles in games where they don't add anything
Death of backwards compatibility
Installations and software updates
Online passes
Skyrocketing budgets (and by extension, more sequels)

...what'd I forget?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Remember when the only achievement you got from a game was beating it?

I'm sure I'll think of something to add to those lists.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Remember when the only achievement you got from a game was beating it?

I'm sure I'll think of something to add to those lists.

I dunno, I put them under good for a reason. I think they're a fun way to see how far you are into a game, and to make bragging rights with friends a little more tangible. The coolest part is when they get you to try playing a game in a completely different way or mess around or look in places you normally wouldn't. In Mirror's Edge, for example, getting the achievement for completing the game without shooting a gun was one of my favorite moments of the generation. Completely optional, but completely changes the game in a cool and unique way. Similarly they can get you to try weapons you might normally not use, or try for crazy trick shots in multiplayer or the like.

There are definitely some that are stupid ("Buy enough EA Sports consumable packs!" or "Find 150 meaningless glowing orbs scattered haphazardly around the game map!" or the like) but there are some really cool uses of it too.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I dunno, I put them under good for a reason. I think they're a fun way to see how far you are into a game, and to make bragging rights with friends a little more tangible. The coolest part is when they get you to try playing a game in a completely different way or mess around or look in places you normally wouldn't. In Mirror's Edge, for example, getting the achievement for completing the game without shooting a gun was one of my favorite moments of the generation. Completely optional, but completely changes the game in a cool and unique way. Similarly they can get you to try weapons you might normally not use, or try for crazy trick shots in multiplayer or the like.

There are definitely some that are stupid ("Buy enough EA Sports consumable packs!" or "Find 150 meaningless glowing orbs scattered haphazardly around the game map!" or the like) but there are some really cool uses of it too.

Those kinds of achievements are cool I suppose, but I just get anooyed by the endless numbers of games that have "beat level 1, beat level 2, beat level 3" as achievements. The way I see it, if you're gonna do achievements, start with "beat the damn game" and then add in cool stuff like "Killed a mutant monkey with a booger" and "used sharks as waterskis".

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
My HUT team

Zajac(C)-Lecavalier-Havlat(All SJS)
Tlusty-Ruutu(A)-Okposo(A) (All CAR)
Boedker-Gagner-Vrbata (All PHX)
random lw-Smith (NSH)-Hornqvist(NSH)

Enstrom-Bogosian (2XWPG)
Sbisa-Wisinewski (Both ANA)
Daley-Wideman (DAL-CGY)

Goalie tandem of Dubnyuk and Pavelec.

Basically the underpriced players galore.

+Everybody who plays different position IRL has been trained.

Edit: Does anybody else have huge connectivity issues with players allegedly on the other continent?

Last edited:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
My HUT team

Zajac-Lecavalier-Halvat (All SJS)
Tlusty-Ruutu-Okposo (All CAR)
Boedker-Gagner-Vrbata (All PHX)
random lw-Smith (NSH)-Hornqvist(NSH)

Enstrom-Bogosian (2XWPG)
Sbisa-Wisinewski (Both ANA)
Daley-Wideman (DAL-CGY)

Goalie tandem of Dubnyuk and Pavelec.

Basically the underpriced players galore.

Edit: Does anybody else have huge connectivity issues with players allegedly on the other continent?

Really like your middle six there. I also have Lecavalier on my team. Really good player.

And I had one game playing against the Bruins online that had input lag of a good 3-4 seconds every time I pressed a button. It was absolutely brutal. I have no idea where they were from, though.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Tried doing HUT. It feels extremely saturated with player cards and stuff. Not to mention the whole Bronze, Silver, Gold thing is confusing as ****.

I felt the same way. Whenever I play NHL, I stick to my Be A Pro profile.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
Really like your middle six there. I also have Lecavalier on my team. Really good player.

And I had one game playing against the Bruins online that had input lag of a good 3-4 seconds every time I pressed a button. It was absolutely brutal. I have no idea where they were from, though.

Mine always loads really long and when the EA Sports presentation thing comes it says "You have lost your connection to the other player(s)."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad