Rosters and Ratings: NHL 13 player growth

Troller1988

Feb 8, 2013
There's always a 5 star goalie in 2014. Never seen 5 star green but I drafted a 5 star yellow in 3 different be a gms

Billy Mays Here*

Anyone tell me how Dumba, Brodin, Coyle and Zucker develop? The last time I did a Wild Be a GM the only prospect that really developed nicely was Granlund, although his face-off and poise ratings never got better. The ones I mentioned were only increasing their overalls by 1 or 2 each year which is BS, especially in the case of Brodin and Coyle since they were 4 and 4 1/2 gold stars respectively.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
People need to realize player growth is not the same every time. Its different in every game...

Troller1988

Feb 8, 2013
Who are some of the best centres to take in the first round of 2013 draft? And any can't miss players?

Fin9*

I got a player whose 75 ovr (listed as top 2 D in the AHL). Hes got 4.5 green star potential. Should i play him in the NHL or AHL? Whats the best way to develop him? THx :)

Use the Schwartz*

Who are some of the best centres to take in the first round of 2013 draft? And any can't miss players?

That draft is so deep IRL, but in the game, I find only a few players pan out to be impact players.

Mackinnon is usually mid to high 80's by the time he's 20
Drouin is the same (will consistently lead your team in goals)
Shinirauk(sp) develops to be pretty beastly as well.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I got a player whose 75 ovr (listed as top 2 D in the AHL). Hes got 4.5 green star potential. Should i play him in the NHL or AHL? Whats the best way to develop him? THx :)

AHL with as much minutes as possible. Put him on all defensive lines.

ZziRapiidShotszZ

May 19, 2013
Ok if I told you I had drouin,mantha,shinkaruk,Nathan mackinn,ikonen,connelly,jones,pulock,and McCue,all just recently drafted,how do I make them grow,do I put them on my nhl team or leave them below? FYI I'm in a gm connected league online.

Troller1988

Feb 8, 2013
Ok if I told you I had drouin,mantha,shinkaruk,Nathan mackinn,ikonen,connelly,jones,pulock,and McCue,all just recently drafted,how do I make them grow,do I put them on my nhl team or leave them below? FYI I'm in a gm connected league online.

Gm connected is a lot more random, and it takes forever for prospects to develop. But I would leave them down

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
That draft is so deep IRL, but in the game, I find only a few players pan out to be impact players.

Mackinnon is usually mid to high 80's by the time he's 20
Drouin is the same (will consistently lead your team in goals)
Shinirauk(sp) develops to be pretty beastly as well.

In my BeaGM, Shinkaruk hasn't progressed at all, he's a 69ovr in the 5th year.

Also, what is more important for prospects? Getting AHL top line ice time and getting dominated and missing the playoffs or playing him on the AHL 2nd line and making the playoffs?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I got a 5 star goalie by the name of Jesper Tedenby in 2018

67OVr > 85OVR > 89OVR > 93OVR

over the past 4 years. trade value is nearly a full bar, Crosby style.

however, the development of players is annoying me, specifically with forwards. no matter what I do, NHL AHL minors for any length, noone gets good. in my first Be a GM I traded for 1sts took MacKinnon Drouin and Monahan all 4.5 star potential. after 4 years they were all still in the 60s and 70s. however in my next BEGM, i let other teams take them and they were high 80s after a couple of seasons.

also happens with players already on my roster. 1st time round my Henrique went fro 82 to 87 after year 1, but second time round went from 82 to 81!! and Larsson went 84 to 88 then 84 to 83 next time. with very similar stats.

ive been luckier with defensemen. I made moves to get Ekblad and Murray and they were both 88OVR after 2 years hehe

ive read that if you put your new drafts on all 4 lines of your AHL team and every special team, the AHL season will tank but they will develop by alot. any truth to this?

TLDR? player development seems random and biased towards CPU teams

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Which players from rounds 2-> usually get good fast in year one? I've heard Andrighetto gets quite good. And I've seen Lipon get alright. Any others? And how good does Andrighetto get then?

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
How is ekblads potential? Is it green? How many stars?

From my experience its 4 1/2 yellow stars. He usually develops into a 88-90 overall however in a few of my gm modes he has been ruined by the team that drafts him and ends up as a top two minor league d man at a 77ish overall. With this game it really depends where the player is put for how they develop

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I have a 4.5 (yellow) * goalie who is stuck in the 50s after like 4 years :rant:

I also have Drouin stuck at like 70 after about 3 years :rant:

Last edited:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
i've simmed about 6-8 years in 4 or 5 times now and i've determined one thing.

the development in this game is awful.

best thing to do is to try and trade picks for good young players. also just go ahead and accept that even a lot of the good prospects don't turn into anything until they're 24-26.

it's also really annoying that things like faceoff ability, strength, poise, speed, which are all pretty critical stats never seem to get better.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
i've simmed about 6-8 years in 4 or 5 times now and i've determined one thing.

the development in this game is awful.

best thing to do is to try and trade picks for good young players. also just go ahead and accept that even a lot of the good prospects don't turn into anything until they're 24-26.

it's also really annoying that things like faceoff ability, strength, poise, speed, which are all pretty critical stats never seem to get better.

I hate that. I mean durability is one thing (though it should go up at least a little as the player gets bigger and stronger, right?) but those others are just ridiculous.

I'd like to see the whole system revamped. There's not enough user control, and really the base stats are kind of strange to begin with. I would do a more RPG-like system, with base physical stats and hockey skills, while keeping the rating categories and expanding the potential system to each separate rating category.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
EA needs to take a lot of notes from EHM/FHM

Agree, how hard can it be to create a growth system were players grow 1-2 inches, and some weight from 16years old to 20 years old, physical attributes could increase drastically over the off-season, mental attributes like awareness and poise increases slowly and more often after 25. Physical attributes often drops at 35, and more attributes ofc, like important games, agitation and teamwork

And FFS fix the european rosters, the only reason why i stopped playing this game was the total ignorance of the european leagues. Last game i bought was the one with the CHL. After that nothing basicly happened, in talks of depth of this game.

Aswell the International part of this game is horrendously awful, the OG roster from 2010, got to be kidding me. Atleast have a list of all the players from the country to choose from.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Sounds like for NHL 14 prospects in the AHL will grow even if they are scratched for every single game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad