NHL 13 Dynasty Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1SensFan

Jun 26, 2012
it was a tough offseason for me. the draft was weak, I had Malkin drop to a 91, Crosby to a 95, Letang to a 90, William Karlsson to a 81, Gaborik to an 89, Giordano to a 84 so I basically had the majority of my team drop. Fleury went up to a 87, Despres to a 81 but those were the only big one's.

What was Crosby rated before?

Number1SensFan

Jun 26, 2012
no idea, I've never gotten him to a 99 but im guessing he would need to have at least 100pts a season.

Has someone else gotten him to a 99? In my GM Connected League I'm absolutely destroying with him, 74 pts in 43 games played. Hopefully that raises his overall.

Lehnerd Skinnerd

Sponsor
Feb 10, 2008
Thunder Bay, ON
Started a new GM mode with the Oilers and it's nice to have Justin Schultz on the roster now, but where the hell is Yakupov? He was on the roster in my previous GM mode, but he's nowhere to be found now.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Does someone here know how the development of prospects works?

I mean not in particular, but i need to figure out why the overall of certain players goes trough the roof while others improve by like 1 point.

For example, i had huge lottery luck in my first season with the Bruins: Traded Thomas in the pre season and the first round pick from that trade ended up as 2nd overall, which i used on Reinhardt.
During the draft i was also able to get Niederreiter from NYI, i dont remember his numbers, but at the start of the second season he was still a 4 star (or is it 3.5?) with a 68 overall. Reinhardt was already a monster at that time, 4.5 stars and 77 overall.

Now, after 1 season in Juniors, the monster turned into a beast, 20 years old with a 86 overall, almost ready to replace an aging Chara.

Niederreiter however, while playing the entire season in the NHL (and winning the cup in that process) on the 3rd line together with O.Jokinen and Peverley made it to 69 overall. He wasn't bad, ended the season with 11g and 23 points and even a gamewinner in the Conference Finals.

So what i ask myself is: Was the competition too hard and he should've played the entire season in the AHL (as he will next season)? Do they have to dominate to make jumps like Reinhardt did? Do i just need more patience?

Not that i expect everyone to become a star after a single year, but i have a lot of unsigned players now i really don't know what to do with. They are too bad for my AHL team so i thought it might be a good idea to leave them where they are, but that way they progress like Niederreiter, which means they are blocked by Providence's AHL players until the age of 25 or smth.

Yeah I'm really confused with player development too. I had B. Schenn and Burmistrov on my 3rd line en route to a Cup win and both of them posted 30 points with a 15-20+ plus/minus but neither made any progress. Right now I have Burmi tearing up the AHL and Schenn still in the NHL so I'll see whether if the whole AHL/NHL thing really makes a difference, but it's definitively frustrating that development doesn't make much sense.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
Started a new GM mode with the Oilers and it's nice to have Justin Schultz on the roster now, but where the hell is Yakupov? He was on the roster in my previous GM mode, but he's nowhere to be found now.

Not in the game right now since he's playing in the KHL.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB

You're pretty much faced with the decision of choosing either an old update with Yakupov and creating Schultz or a new update with Schultz and creating Yakupov. I personally choose the first option, since Yakupov has a scanned face model which cannot be recreated as easily as it is to choose a model which looks like Schultz in character creation.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
So I'm guessing that's why nicklas jensen isn't in the game anymore?

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
:habs

Ovi and the Caps Swept by Montreal

Carey+Price+Max+Pacioretty+Washington+Capitals+y37Z97-O1UMl.jpg

Max Pacioretty and Troy Brouwer battle for the puck in front of the Canadiens goal, but they both lose sight of it.

The play of Carey Price was the biggest story of round one for the Montreal Canadiens. The star netminder posted three shutouts in four games as the Canadiens swept the Capitals. All of the games were fairly close with the exception of game two, where the Habs were able to pot five goals. The final two games of the series were especially close, with the Habs coming out on top in overtime both times. Gustav Nyquist scored the game winning goal in game three, and Max Pacioretty broke a scoreless tie in overtime to win game four and close the series.

Carey Price only allowed one goal in the whole series - he had a save percentage of 0.989% and a 0.24 GAA.

Game 1: 2-0 Win
Game 2: 5-0 Win

Game 3: 2-1 OT Win
Game 4: 1-0 OT Win

The Habs will face the New York Islanders in round two.​

Aug 6, 2012

Ovi and the Caps Swept by Montreal

Carey+Price+Max+Pacioretty+Washington+Capitals+y37Z97-O1UMl.jpg

Max Pacioretty and Troy Brouwer battle for the puck in front of the Canadiens goal, but they both lose sight of it.

The play of Carey Price was the biggest story of round one for the Montreal Canadiens. The star netminder posted three shutouts in four games as the Canadiens swept the Capitals. All of the games were fairly close with the exception of game two, where the Habs were able to pot five goals. The final two games of the series were especially close, with the Habs coming out on top in overtime both times. Gustav Nyquist scored the game winning goal in game three, and Max Pacioretty broke a scoreless tie in overtime to win game four and close the series.

Carey Price only allowed one goal in the whole series - he had a save percentage of 0.989% and a 0.24 GAA.

Game 1: 2-0 Win
Game 2: 5-0 Win

Game 3: 2-1 OT Win
Game 4: 1-0 OT Win

The Habs will face the New York Islanders in round two.​

I can't stand facing 90OVR+ goalies in the playoffs because for some reason they are literally impossible to score on. I'm happy when I get 2GPG when I face one. The playoff sim engine is weird IMO

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I can't stand facing 90OVR+ goalies in the playoffs because for some reason they are literally impossible to score on. I'm happy when I get 2GPG when I face one. The playoff sim engine is weird IMO

I get shut out by the other team's backup in the playoffs all the time. :laugh:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm a little confused. I drafted Hunter Shinkaruk in 2013. He played 1 season in the CHL, and 2 in the AHL. I put him on the top line in the A, and he's had seasons of 58 points and one of 65 points, yet he's still only a 73 overall. Does he make a drastic jump at some point, or should I consider trading him while his value is still reasonably high?

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I'm a little confused. I drafted Hunter Shinkaruk in 2013. He played 1 season in the CHL, and 2 in the AHL. I put him on the top line in the A, and he's had seasons of 58 points and one of 65 points, yet he's still only a 73 overall. Does he make a drastic jump at some point, or should I consider trading him while his value is still reasonably high?
He got to an 88 in mine, took a while though.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

The engine is also super biased towards the goalie when it comes to the playoffs MVP... I won with Pavelec posting a .919 SV% and he won the Conn Smythe instead of awarding it to Zajac who went 9-16-25 in 26 games and had like 6 GWG.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

Underdog Habs Defeated by the Islanders

Carey+Price+Frans+Nielsen+Montreal+Canadiens+vpB53PjDE8tl.jpg

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price shakes his head in disgust as the Isles troops celebrate a late second period tally in game one.

A dream season has come to an end for the Canadiens - it wasn't picture perfect, but they were an underdog all year. It was a very successful season; no one expected the Habs to make the playoffs or to upset the second-seeded Washington Capitals in only four games. However, they weren't good enough to beat John Tavares and third-seeded New York. The Habs were able to win two games, a shutout in game two and an overtime victory courtesy of Jarred Tinordi in game five, but they fell to the Isles in six games.

Game 1: 5-1 Loss
Game 2: 2-0 Win
Game 3: 2-1 Loss
Game 4: 3-2 2OT Loss

Game 5: 2-1 OT Win
Game 6: 3-2 Loss

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
The engine is also super biased towards the goalie when it comes to the playoffs MVP... I won with Pavelec posting a .919 SV% and he won the Conn Smythe instead of awarding it to Zajac who went 9-16-25 in 26 games and had like 6 GWG.
At least it's not as bad as in past NHL games. I remember my team had just awful goaltending one year but was able to overcome it with offense. My leading scorer (a former 210th overall pick, I miss steals in the draft :() had like 38 points in 27 games and most of them were goals while my goaltender had like an 89.7% SV% and he still won the Conn Smythe ...

IIRC, that was NHL 10, but it may have been NHL 11.

Aug 6, 2012
I get shut out by the other team's backup in the playoffs all the time. :laugh:

THIS. I can't remember the last time I've beaten a backup in the playoffs. It's crazy how many times I've been shutdown by the opposing teams' backup goalie. I thought I was the only one:amazed:... I really hate the playoffs sim engine.

pensrule2011

Apr 5, 2012
Started a Be-A-GM with my favorite team the Penguins (hence my username) and I wasn't expecting to do that well but in an attempt to bring up scoring on the team, I brought back Jaromir Jagr. Florida waived Keaton Ellerby and the only reason I took it was because I needed a Left defensman on my third-pairing.

So I exceeded my expectations and won the President's Trophy, and the Stanley Cup, thanks to one guy who finally earned his 1st overall pick status, Marc-Andre Fleury (my favorite goaltender in the entire league) who, in 67 games posted a 2.07 GAA, .930 Save Percentage, 6 shutouts and 46 frickin wins! He walked out of the awards show with the Vezina, the Jennings, AND the Ted Lindsay. Great job Fleury who I now know is my career goaltender.

Sid and Malkin both weren't point-per-game but I really didn't mind. Both had 30-goal season so thats okay. Niskanen and Letang both had 40-point seasons which makes me very happy.

So here's your 2012-2013 Stanley Cup Champion roster:

Pascal Dupuis (81) - Sidney Crosby (95) - Jaromir Jagr (81)
Chris Kunitz (83) - Evgeni Malkin (91) - James Neal (84)
Matt Cooke (79) - Brandon Sutter (82) - Tyler Kennedy (81)
Dustin Jeffrey (74) - Trevor Smith (76) - Craig Adams (74)

Brooks Orpik (84) - Kris Letang (90)
Paul Martin (85) - Matt Niskanen (82)
Keaton Ellerby (77) - Deryk Engelland (75)

Marc-Andre Fleury (87)
Tomas Vokoun (87)

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

Habs Fill Depth Holes in Free Agency

roope_talaja_blues.jpg
jarret-stoll-hottest-hockey-players-nhl.jpg

Above are the newest members of the Montreal Canadiens - Roope Talaja (top) and Jarret Stoll (bottom).

One of the Habs' biggest issues last year was their penalty kill - despite making the playoffs, it was bottom-15 in the league. GM Deku Scrub made two moves this offseason to address this issues, by signing two forwards: Roope Talaja and Jarret Stoll. Both forwards are under contract with the Habs for three years, Roope will earn $2.9 million per year, while Jarret will earn $2.5 per year. 26 year old Roope only has 45 points in 134 games in the SM-Liiga, but has been praised for his outstanding defensive play and is expected to be a top penalty killer for the Habs. Jarret Stoll will play alongside Roope on the Canadiens' third line and on the penalty kill. Jarret was a member of the 2012 Los Angeles Kings' Stanley Cup championship team. His specialty is faceoffs - in fact, he is one of the best draw-takers in the league.

Here is how the Habs' lineup will look for the 2014-15 season:

Pacioretty (84) - Galchenyuk (88) - Kessel (89)
Nyquist (83) - Eller (84) - Plekanec (85)
Cole (84) - Stoll (80) - Talaja (81)
Moen (77) - White (75) - Bourque (82)

Y. Weber (84) - Subban (87)
Greene (83) - Gorges (83)
Barrie (78) - Tinordi (78)

Price (90)
Budaj (75)

(Talaja's defensive stats are actually amazing though! 99 body checking, 91 defensive awareness, 90 shot blocking, 93 stick checking, and also 81 discipline!)​

The Right Price

May 9, 2010
So after starting BaGM previously with Columbus, Phoenix and the Canadiens I have know started managing the Islanders since I wanted to try the latest roster update. First, I was a bit disturbed that the likes of Yakupov and Baertschi were missing but I guess I'll start a new BaGM once the NHL has begun and EA (hopefully) does another roster update.

The season went generally well for the Isles. At the start of the season I signed Frolov and Brunnstrom since I needed some depth guys. Especially Frolov proved to be quite a good deal for under 1 M since he put up 30 points in the regular season while playing on the 3rd line and had a solid post season run as well. Brunnstrom was pretty meh.

Islanders finished the season with 100 points exactly, beating Penguins for the division title because of more ROW's. Boston won the president's trophy, Canucks were second and won the Western conference honors. Bottom three were Winnipeg, Calgary and Dallas. Flyers missed post season play by the virtue of ROW's (to the Rangers).

Evgeni Malkin won the league scoring and Ovechkin won the Richard award. My player, Grabner, scored 45 goals, finishing a distant second the Ovechkin's 56 goals. Quick won the Vezina.

In the playoffs Isles first defeated the Senators 4-0 and then in the second round the Hurricanes 4-1 before losing to the Sabres 1-4 (that damn Miller guy). Sabres eventually won the Stanley Cup by beating Kings in the finals (4-2). The Kings had defeated Wild in the conference finals in six games. Anze Kopitar won the playoff scoring race and Miller was named MVP. On their way to the cup the Sabres beat Penguins 4-0 (a series where Crosby and Malkin combined for 1 frickin point :laugh:), Bruins 4-2, Islanders 4-1 and Kings 4-2.

On our roster John Tavares went PPG and lead the team. The most improved player in the post season was Swede David Ullstrom who posted 7 points in the 13 games he laced his skates for. Another good young player for the season was backup goalie Kevin Poulin who performed more then well while DiPietro was injured at certain points in the season. Nabokov played absolutely horrid at the beginning of the season and he soon found himself being claimed by Phoenix of the waivers and then placed in their AHL affiliate in Portland :laugh:

Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins won the Calder Cup.

It will be an interesting off season for my team because both Visnovsky and Streit's contracts are up (the #3 and #4 D's on my team after Hamonic and MacDonald).. I think I'll renew Streit's contract since he has the C but I'll let Visnovsky walk. Poulin has become 80 Ovr to challenge DiPietro (81) for #1 status.

In the draft I will try to get a deal done with Phoenix for their no. 1 pick (they're drafting 9th) and one of their top 5 dman (Yandle, OEL, Summers, Rundblad, Michalek). I want to ship out Nelson and Niederreiter.

The Reaper

Men of Mayhem
Dec 29, 2010
Canada
Doing a Leafs BAGM

Fantasy draft

here are my lines

J.Lupul - D.Gilmour - D.Briere
B.Morrow - M.Grabovski - M.Ryder
J.Crabb - D.Steckel - J.Ward
M.Mueller - J.Colborne - C.Ashton

M.Staal - D.Boyle
T.Kaberle - J.Morrow
S.Percy - D.Gunnarsson

T.Thomas
J.Reimer

InTheCreaseDallas

Dec 25, 2012
Dallas, TX
Just traded for the number one overall pick in the draft. I have the default rosters so who should I take, Yakupov or Murray? What do you guys think based on what you've seen or experienced or your BAGM modes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad