OT: NFL Playoffs Thread

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Comment made by someone else that I wish I could take credit for:

"I hope Pete Carroll runs out of the tunnel with a big bicycle pump, just to mess with them."

:biglaugh:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Comment made by someone else that I wish I could take credit for:

"I hope Pete Carroll runs out of the tunnel with a big bicycle pump, just to mess with them."

:biglaugh:

Pete Carroll has his own skeletons in his coaching closet.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Pete Carroll has his own skeletons in his coaching closet.

True. There are a lot of dirty hands in the league. But if players get caught under the rules they get punished. Or at least they're supposed to. The NFL has a bit of a problem with that and their image right now. Which is why this can't be just swept under the rug.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Tell that to politicians who have lost their jobs due to scandals, companies who lost value due to misdeeds, and pro athletes who have lost sponsorships.

I can't stand the "no such thing as bad press" trope. It's completely false. And just because something gets attention for the league doesn't mean it's good. The Super Bowl doesn't need additional hype centered on the integrity of the league and the game itself. That's how you get into situations like the post-MLB strike years where fans turned away from baseball. Their faith in the league was severely damaged.

Look at what happened with Duck Dynasty. People tried to say all the bad press from controversial quotes was a ratings ploy, and would only help future ratings. There was no need for that as the show was already one of the highest rated cable programs out there, if not tops. After the scandals the ratings started to fall.

The NFL is at the top of the sports heap in America. It just came off of multiple criminal scandals, complete with cover ups that threaten the Commissioner's position, and already has a problem with declining ticket sales due to prices and HD tv. It doesn't need to sell the SB with another black eye to its integrity.

The fallout from this only benefits the media.

You are way too worked up about this. It's not going to become a big deal to the casual sports fan, and true NFL fans will hate the Pats, but they won't stop coming. The MLB analogy does not hold water either. They cancelled a championship. So not the same.

NFL is like the stock market. People pay attention and root for stuff no matter what happens.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You are way too worked up about this. It's not going to become a big deal to the casual sports fan, and true NFL fans will hate the Pats, but they won't stop coming. The MLB analogy does not hold water either. They cancelled a championship. So not the same.

NFL is like the stock market. People pay attention and root for stuff no matter what happens.

My facebook feed is full of people who either hate sports or who rarely ever talk about it going off about this. Some of the other sports discussion forums I visit are blowing up over it. I'm already seeing these casual fans citing the other NFL scandals and indicting the entire league. And the attendance issues are a real problem. Nevermind what happens when/if they get real HGH testing.

I'm not on an island here. It's a big deal.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
True. There are a lot of dirty hands in the league. But if players get caught under the rules they get punished. Or at least they're supposed to. The NFL has a bit of a problem with that and their image right now. Which is why this can't be just swept under the rug.

I agree, the NFL's credibility is at its lowest point since I have been a fan, but it is also important to keep this infraction in its proper context. People are calling for the Pats to forefit their win over the Colts and/or Belichick and Brady should be suspended for the SB. This isn't anywhere close to that level. This is like a NASCAR team getting busted for having their race winning car a couple millimeters below the mandatory height requirement. That team gets points deducted, and the Crew Chief will get a fine and/or probation, but the win isn't taken away.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I agree, the NFL's credibility is at its lowest point since I have been a fan, but it is also important to keep this infraction in its proper context. People are calling for the Pats to forefit their win over the Colts and/or Belichick and Brady should be suspended for the SB. This isn't anywhere close to that level. This is like a NASCAR team getting busted for having their race winning car a couple millimeters below the mandatory height requirement. That team gets points deducted, and the Crew Chief will get a fine and/or probation, but the win isn't taken away.

People making those extreme arguments are just howling at the moon. They're like the guy who makes a scene in McDonalds and demands the cashier be fired because his fries are cold and he specifically said he wanted a Big Mac with "NO ONIONS".

Nobody is taking the forfeit/suspension claims seriously, I would hope. But something does have to be done.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
People making those extreme arguments are just howling at the moon. They're like the guy who makes a scene in McDonalds and demands the cashier be fired because his fries are cold and he specifically said he wanted a Big Mac with "NO ONIONS".

Nobody is taking the forfeit/suspension claims seriously, I would hope. But something does have to be done.

I've heard the minimum is a 25k fine, but draft picks could be in play at the higher end of the penalty spectrum. Definetly more than a 25k fine, but I don't see a first round pick getting taken away. 250k fine and 3rd round or higher draft pick loss seems right. And if Kraft fired Belichick I wouldn't be surprised.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Just look at the Caps and their overall performance when they score the first goal as opposed to not.

a 10pt halftime lead changes how teams play for sure and there is absolutely a psychological element even if it impacted Brady alone.

My take is the by BB deflecting it to Brady nothing will be done. Maybe Brady gets fined but the organization will likely not have to forfeit a draft pick or be forced to pay a huge fine.

You know the Colts and Ravens aren't taking this lightly and they should be upset. The Patriots intentionally broke the rules to gain a competitive advantage and won't get punished for it in any meaningful way if it goes down like this.

Earlier this year I watched Luck drive the Colts 99 yards for the game winning TD with less than 4 min in the game at CLE after having a very poor game for the first 3 quarters. Very impressive drive. A 10 point halftime lead is nothing with Luck at QB.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I've heard the minimum is a 25k fine, but draft picks could be in play at the higher end of the penalty spectrum. Definetly more than a 25k fine, but I don't see a first round pick getting taken away. 250k fine and 3rd round or higher draft pick loss seems right. And if Kraft fired Belichick I wouldn't be surprised.

Why do you say that? I think BB has the most job security in the entire NFL. I don't know if any other active coaches have as many SB wins or appearances, and he's going to another this year, cheating or not.

Like I said earlier, it will end up being put on some low-level employee and the punishment will seem appropriate to that level. And they will hope it blows over.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
There's somebody out there in the press or some other are who just has a big vendetta against the Patriots for some reason (who knows maybe its Victor Kiam jealous of Bob Kraft's success). That's why we keep getting stories like this.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There's somebody out there in the press or some other are who just has a big vendetta against the Patriots for some reason (who knows maybe its Victor Kiam jealous of Bob Kraft's success). That's why we keep getting stories like this.

So blame the media? When the Colts and other NFL teams are the ones pointing the finger, the officials note the problem, and the league investigates? What do you want the media to do, ignore that?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
My facebook feed is full of people who either hate sports or who rarely ever talk about it going off about this. Some of the other sports discussion forums I visit are blowing up over it. I'm already seeing these casual fans citing the other NFL scandals and indicting the entire league. And the attendance issues are a real problem. Nevermind what happens when/if they get real HGH testing.

I'm not on an island here. It's a big deal.

Yes, as it's the current "thing to get upset about" for the masses. Which means they will certainly watch the Super Bowl. And then forget about it during the summer months, as everyone finds something else to have an opinion about that will soon be forgotten.

This won't matter to the NFL.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yes, as it's the current "thing to get upset about" for the masses. Which means they will certainly watch the Super Bowl. And then forget about it during the summer months, as everyone finds something else to have an opinion about that will soon be forgotten.

This won't matter to the NFL.

Everything fits the profile of lack of permanence. News cycles are 1-2 weeks long naturally. But fewer headlines doesn't mean everyone involved in something just stops being involved. People still bring up Spygate. It didn't flush from memory. This won't, either. Because it's a pattern.

The risk-reward in making this another issue for the league is heavily slanted in the wrong direction. Other QBs and players weighing in. Madden said the same thing Aikman said on Wednesday:

http://nypost.com/2015/01/22/ex-players-react-bradys-cluelessness-unbelievable/

I guess these guys are just hyping the Super Bowl for ratings?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/most-t...ts--league-hasn-t-talked-to-qb-234447768.html

And here Brady is saying he likes his footballs at exactly 12.5psi, picks them all by hand, and doesn't want anyone touching them afterward. BUT, he apparently didn't notice the balls he was using weren't at that spec. Also claims he couldn't tell the difference in the first and second half (regarding which, there's still no confirmation from the league that the balls were inflated at halftime, just media guessing). And he says the league hasn't contacted him.

Strange. Seems like the predicted "low level staffer" is going to get blamed for acting solo, despite almost every industry person saying that's incredibly unlikely. I'm sure the excuse will be a faulty gauge, so everyone can play dumb.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't know. Personally, I'm losing interest in the NFL. It's a crooked organization ripe with nepotism and hypocrisy. I love the sport but no longer will give any money towards it.

This deflate thing is a big deal. 11 out of 12 balls. Wake up. That is cheating, that is not a coincidence. This is one of the pillars of success for the past decade plus. The Patriots also happen to be an organization that always seems to be in the news for cheating. The NFL has to send a message here. They are repeat offenders and will continue to be until the NFL shows them they have to play within the same rules as everyone else.

The Redskins cap penalty (and Bruce Allen's ineptitude) cost this team years of competitiveness. The Saints started their downturn when the NFL threw the book at them. It's time for Goddell to actually send the right message. BB needs to be suspended for next season. They should lose their 1st round pick as well. It is absurd that we're talking about the Patriots and cheating again.

All we've talked about this post season is the garbage officiating and now deflate gate. Gets old, quick.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Athletes, teams, coaches, equipment managers, crew chiefs, caddies, everyone has been finding ways to manipulate equipment from the beginning of sports as we know it.

This is nothing new.

Curved sticks, corked and superball bats, spitballs and emory boards, racing and the multiple ways you can modify a racecar, sticky gloves, scuffing tennis balls, the list goes on.

Now...its a huge deal and "OMG....fine and suspend them all for eternity!". Please.

They got caught (maybe...Im still waiting for actual proof)...fine them, take a draft pick or something...move on.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I don't know. Personally, I'm losing interest in the NFL. It's a crooked organization ripe with nepotism and hypocrisy. I love the sport but no longer will give any money towards it.

This deflate thing is a big deal. 11 out of 12 balls. Wake up. That is cheating, that is not a coincidence. This is one of the pillars of success for the past decade plus. The Patriots also happen to be an organization that always seems to be in the news for cheating. The NFL has to send a message here. They are repeat offenders and will continue to be until the NFL shows them they have to play within the same rules as everyone else.

The Redskins cap penalty (and Bruce Allen's ineptitude) cost this team years of competitiveness. The Saints started their downturn when the NFL threw the book at them. It's time for Goddell to actually send the right message. BB needs to be suspended for next season. They should lose their 1st round pick as well. It is absurd that we're talking about the Patriots and cheating again.

All we've talked about this post season is the garbage officiating and now deflate gate. Gets old, quick.

You better not watch at home. They make most of their money because people watch on TV.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Athletes, teams, coaches, equipment managers, crew chiefs, caddies, everyone has been finding ways to manipulate equipment from the beginning of sports as we know it.

This is nothing new.

Curved sticks, corked and superball bats, spitballs and emory boards, racing and the multiple ways you can modify a racecar, sticky gloves, scuffing tennis balls, the list goes on.

Now...its a huge deal and "OMG....fine and suspend them all for eternity!". Please.

They got caught (maybe...Im still waiting for actual proof)...fine them, take a draft pick or something...move on.

It's a big deal because they constantly get caught. And there's a big difference between manipulating equipment and blatantly breaking the rules. 11 out of 12 balls is proof enough. Not sure how you don't see that.

And all of your other examples, people and teams get punished. Race crews get suspended, fined, and forfeit standings points. Baseball players get ejected and suspended. Equipment managers get fired.

Pretty terrible post all around, to be honest.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
It's a big deal because they constantly get caught. And there's a big difference between manipulating equipment and blatantly breaking the rules. 11 out of 12 balls is proof enough. Not sure how you don't see that.

And all of your other examples, people and teams get punished. Race crews get suspended, fined, and forfeit standings points. Baseball players get ejected and suspended. Equipment managers get fired.

Pretty terrible post all around, to be honest.
Ok then Mr Proof...who deflated the balls? Who exactly did it? Oh...you dont know...is it someone on the Patriots payroll? Maybe? You dont know who?

The linebacker from the Colts already said he didn't say anything. The Ravens deny saying anything to the Colts. The NFL isnt saying anything to Brady.

Until you can give me an answer based on actual evidence that has been presented to the general public...I dont see why anyone is even wasting time on this story. When someone can find the proof...then someone will get fined or fired. Until then....stop wasting keystrokes.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am going all in made in China defect fail.

Like those few years when hockey sticks broke left and right, on simple wrist shots. Every slash was a penalty when a stick broke.

Maybe its some group of punks affiliated with the ball boy who have been going around letting air out of opposition fans tires in the parking lots

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad