Next Seasons Calder Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
ice berg slim said:
Now assuming the top rated prospects are indeed in the league next season(Ovechkin,Crosby,Malkin,Carter,Richards etc.) Could this potentially be the best calder race we have seen in recent memory?

Ovechkin is likely staying in Russia. Malkin too.

That should help right off the bat.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Theres not going to be a race, theres going to be a ceremony at the end of the year to give Crosby the award.

Ovechkin and Carter will be the main competition and Ovechkin may stay in Russia.

The Joker*

But a new CBA is almost done, doesn't that mean Ovechkin will be coming over?

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
flambers said:
Phaneuf.... :D

It looks like Phaneuf, Coburn, and Suter will all be in the NHL. And possibly Seabrooke, Barker, Belle, Stuart, Klein, Weber and more (I only mentioned Preds more often because of my higher level of familiarity with them than other prospects around the league). It could be a fun year for young D prospects.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
SmokeyClause said:
It looks like Phaneuf, Coburn, and Suter will all be in the NHL. And possibly Seabrooke, Barker, Belle, Stuart, Klein, Weber and more (I only mentioned Preds more often because of my higher level of familiarity with them than other prospects around the league). It could be a fun year for young D prospects.

I dont expect Barker or Seabrook to get more than 10 call up games each next year unless they knock Hawks management and coaching staff on their asses in training camp. I think Duncan Keith will surprise a lot of people as he will likely make the team.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Oil3rs said:
But a new CBA is almost done, doesn't that mean Ovechkin will be coming over?

Maybe. Latest heard from Ovechkin's agent Meehan on TSN was that Ovechkin was torn and needed to make his decision quick as Russian clubs begin preparation in couple weeks.

It doesn't sound good.

But yeah, if he plays he's my favorite with Lehtonen.

Last edited:

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
sevenSteen said:
Ovechkin will be here, and Ovechkin will win the Calder. You can book it right now.
Agreed i think people are overrating Crosby's first year Ovekchin is only one year older but that could mean a lot and he is used to playing with bigger people. I think it will be between Ovekchin and Lehtonen if he starts there are several possibilities - Crosby, Malkin (If he comes), Carter (Everyone listing him i think no chance), Phaneuf, Suter, etc....

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
AnThGrt said:
Agreed i think people are overrating Crosby's first year Ovekchin is only one year older but that could mean a lot and he is used to playing with bigger people.

I agree with this logic and add that Ovechkin is almost two years older than Crosby. That, along with several years of pro play, is a major advantage for Ovechkin. It wouldn't suprise me to see Crosby win it. But if Ovechkin is over, I don't think Crosby would be considered a failure if Ovechkin edged him out.

NewHabsEra*

Perezhogin will be a serious candidate for the calder be sure, especially if Ovechkin stays in Russia.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I still like my darkhorse pick. Niklas Kronwall. He's quite a bit older/more mature than most of the others but still qualifies for the Calder. He made the Wings in '03-'04 after being an injury call up but broke his leg in a rut after 20 games, had an amazing year in the AHL and then had a great run at the World Championships being named to the All Tournament team. He might not end up being the best, but he'll likely have one of the steadier seasons of all the rookies.

Liquidrage*

Lindros didn't win the Calder..just remember that. And I would say he was more NHL ready. Even if they open the game up, Crosby is going to get pushed around a lot.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Henrik Lundqvist? If he can continue the domination he has shown in the SEL over the past couple of seasons he would be hard to overlook. Doubt he will be impressive enough to overshadow the likes of Crosby, Ovechkin, Lehtonen though.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Liquidrage said:
Lindros didn't win the Calder..just remember that. And I would say he was more NHL ready. Even if they open the game up, Crosby is going to get pushed around a lot.
You never seen Crosby play then, his legs are stronger then most NHL'ers. He "will not" be pushed around.

Liquidrage*

Jason MacIsaac said:
You never seen Crosby play then, his legs are stronger then most NHL'ers. He "will not" be pushed around.

No, actually I have. Normally I can't say that about prospects playing in Canadian juniors, but this year his games were on INHD in the states several times. And basically only his games.

You acted like I called him weak. There's a HUGE jump from Canadian juniors to the NHL. It's not like he's a young Lindros that came into the league and in a preseason game beat the crap out of Stevens (who did get the last laugh easily so don't turn this into a Devils vs Flyers thing).

Sorry, you can claim "he's so stong" all you want. He's not strong like a LeClair in his prime was or like a Lindros was. He's stong for his age and especially his skill evel. But he's not some physical freak. And at his age, he IS going to get pushed around. If he goes to the right team that protects the crap out of him, that will help. But it's not enough to save him as a rookie from a nice physical hockey he's going to see night in and night out. And that will effect his stats most likely.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Liquidrage said:
No, actually I have. Normally I can't say that about prospects playing in Canadian juniors, but this year his games were on INHD in the states several times. And basically only his games.

You acted like I called him weak. There's a HUGE jump from Canadian juniors to the NHL. It's not like he's a young Lindros that came into the league and in a preseason game beat the crap out of Stevens (who did get the last laugh easily so don't turn this into a Devils vs Flyers thing).

Sorry, you can claim "he's so stong" all you want. He's not strong like a LeClair in his prime was or like a Lindros was. He's stong for his age and especially his skill evel. But he's not some physical freak. And at his age, he IS going to get pushed around. If he goes to the right team that protects the crap out of him, that will help. But it's not enough to save him as a rookie from a nice physical hockey he's going to see night in and night out. And that will effect his stats most likely.
I'm not going to debate on this issue with you especially when I seen Crosby play plenty more times then you have. Crosby is the strongest forward leg wise to come from the Q in long long time. Bergeron wasn't pushed around in his rookie year and Crosby is much stronger then him.

Liquidrage*

Jason MacIsaac said:
I'm not going to debate on this issue with you especially when I seen Crosby play plenty more times then you have. Crosby is the strongest forward leg wise to come from the Q in long long time. Bergeron wasn't pushed around in his rookie year and Crosby is much stronger then him.

You are debating this issue with me. You've done it twice now. You're just trying to pretend you are not.

Bergeron certainly was pushed around. Hell, Gagne was pushed around at times last year. There are players in the NHL that are strong enough to push other players around. Once players like Crosby learn who he can push back and who he just needs to skate around, he'll be better off. But it's going to take a little feeling out. Especially to get the stats for a Calder. He could win it. And Lindros, a much more NHL ready player for his age, was able to put up a GREAT rookie year. But Crosby is just not some huge physical stud no matter how much you claim his leg strength is legendary.

Chevs

Jun 7, 2003
Québec
www.angelfire.com
Kari Lehtonen
Jeff Carter
Dion Phaneuf
Alexander Ovenchkin
Sydney Crosby
Antero Nittymaki
Ryan Suter
Tomas Vanek