Speculation: Next captain ?

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
I've been looking for a thread on that subject but found nothing...

With Gionta probably on his final year in Montreal, who do you think is more likely to become Habs' next captain ? Do you guys think Brandon Prust could/should be considered ? Looks like he has become a leader on that team.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Gorges, fortunately.

The idea of Gorges being a bad idea is beyond me.

It should be who the players trust. The team has a very good captain right now. If the team trusts Gorges to keep it together like Gionta did, then it isn't a bad choice.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
My money is on Gorges, Markov or Pleky. That being said, I'll offer an outside-the-box suggestion: Pacioretty. He's mature, our best offensive player, leads by example and works hard. He's not as vocal as Gorges or as senior as Markov, but he has a lot of the qualities Gionta has.

ROSSter

Jul 5, 2011
Prust4Captain , Georges is on the down swing of his performance. Our team is small, we need a captain that will stand up for them.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't think Gorges is a good choice anymore. Don't get me wrong hes got tons of leadership but its more in his effort level and while your captain doesn't have to be your best player, I want a guy who can take things over and put the team on their back.

Guys like Gorges should be what you use to surround your captain; a group of vets who are heart and soul guys whose work ethic is infectious.

We're caught in a weird spot because we have tons of captain material in our roster but alot of guys are too young.

Id say go with 3 As after Gio leaves and check the progression of some options after a year.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
If it's a coach's decision, gotta think it's Prust.
Even if it's a players decision. I think it's Prust.

Watching 24/7, he's the most vocal guy in the room and probably the most liked.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Subban should be the Captain.
Says all the right thing in the media, isn't afraid to call himself or the whole team out, has a Norris, plays hard every night, is filled with passion. He's young, so he could be captain for a very long time, and he's still improving.

Gorges said some stupid crap in the media during lockout.
Prust is someone I see losing efficiency sooner rather than later due to the nature of his game.
Plekanec and Markov might be on their way out and always were comfortable in the back seats.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Who do you want to have the puck when you're down by a goal?
Who do you want to have the puck when you're up by a goal?

Subban, that's who. Proven leader. Proven results. World class player. World class talker.

Gorges. Pffft. Subban leaks more leadership into his underwear in one game than Gorges has in his entire being.

CarrePrisme

Feb 7, 2009
Subban looks like the obvious choice, though I have trouble seeing anyone else than Koivu as captain. I just look at the Habs as a team without a captain since he left, even though Gionta has the position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad