Next Captain of the Calgary Flames? (Updated post-Huberdeau signing)

Next Captain for Calgary?

• Lindholm

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Huberdeau

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Tanev

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Backlund

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Nobody

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other (add name in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Worked out reasonably well not to have a Captain for the team in the 2021-22 season but kind of seems like that's not something you do two years in a row.

Obviously a lot depends on what happens with Gaudreau and Tkachuk but who do you think gets the C for next year? Or do we run it back with no C? If Tkachuk is willing to commit long term I could see them going with him. Personally might prefer Backlund, Lindy, or Tanev but I don't think Matty would be a terrible choice. Johnny they finally stuck a letter on for all of two games despite carrying us for years so you never know, outside chance. Lindholm could be a good choice in the Zetterberg, Alfredsson, Sundin kind of mold.

Who do you think gets it?
Who would be your choice?

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Honestly, Lindholm might be the guy. Though I wouldn't hate Tanev. Gaudreau should definitely get an A (assuming he re-signs), and Chucky if he signs long-term should get some serious consideration as well.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Johnny Captain has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Tkachucky C does as well.

Reactions: Tofveve

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Yup. Backlund. Lindholm should get some consideration though. I would prefer Lindy because we still need to sign him somehow and he's younger. Hopefully get a Landeskog contract from him. Backs has earned it though 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
I think most locker rooms have groups of players that tend to hang together, and while I think Backlund isn't a terrible choice, I've always felt that he and Tckachuk were / are at odds for Mathew's extra curricular activities, taking games into WWIII etc.

If we are re-signing Gaudreau and giving him the franchise, he certainly has to get a letter - I don't know if the "C" is his desire.

For me, I think its safer to go with Tanev, I don't think he is part of any one group and is just one of those guys who puts his head down and plays hard (hurt if needed) game after game.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Backlund 100%, no one else on the team has the tenure and exhibited leadership

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
My heart wants Tkachuk, head says Tanev. It’s pretty clear to me he’s the leader of that room.

Would actually love Lindholm to get it. If Johnny signs here, he will get a letter. Sutter has also said he doesn’t care who wears it, but that’s probably Sutter saying Sutterisms.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
The Cale Makar thing going on here and on Flames social media is so cringe. He ain't coming y'alls.
Brayden Point is also going to ask for a trade to Cgy, handcuffing the Lightning to get a weak package for him. Forever a flame.

Reactions: Kapteeni

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Brayden Point is also going to ask for a trade to Cgy, handcuffing the Lightning to get a weak package for him. Forever a flame.

You either die Leafs fan or you live long enough to see yourself become a Leafs-like fan.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
You either die Leafs fan or you live long enough to see yourself become a Leafs-like fan.
Flames basically won the cup this year, as they took the defending finalists, Dallas to 7 games, and also took a win against Edmonton, who put up several goals against this year's conference champion Avalanche.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
For me it would be Backlund. That said, I wouldn't be upset if it was Lindholm or Tanev either. Tkachuk would be a terrible choice. I'd give it to impending UFA Carpenter before him. Tkachuk is a player I'm trading this offseason. His value will never be this high again.

Edit: If Johnny comes back I'd strongly consider him too. The way he changed his game this season was spectacular. Granted, he's never going to take hits to make plays, nor should he. But he didn't have nearly as many turn overs and was great on the back track this year. He bought into the system as much as a player with his frame can.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad