Confirmed with Link: News Release: The #Sens have signed defenceman Jake Sanderson to an eight-year ($8.050M AAV) contract extension

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
pd.jpg

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Contract extensions have easily been the best part of Dorion's tenure.

With the cap going up we're super well set for the future, we'll liikely still have enough cap space to trade/sign for another high end forward if needed.

Reactions: gab6511 and DrEasy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Sure but that's not the point. He definitely got more than he should have at the time by sitting out of training camp and to start the season.

An RFA with 3 seasons of production stagnating around 50P/82GP typically doesn't command anywhere close to a salary of 8.2M, not to mention only getting him locked up for 6 years at that price.

Good on Brady for later justifying that expensive contract, but there's no question that he extracted every last dollar he could from this team on that contract, while most RFAs that don't have the same family pressure to do so would have settled for a contract considered more reasonable at the time.
7 years

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I’m so happy he’s locked up for 9 years. No insecurity, this kid is with us for the long haul.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Even if the price is high, it's nice to have him "locked up" but these "Dorion is the best" comments... damn, like if any GM would fail by throwing $64,400,000 at a player who has 77 NHL games. No wonder why we have a contingent who thinks Dorion should still be the GM of this team... Settle for less I guess

It's kinda crazy when you compare it to what Fox, Makar, Heiskanen, MacAvoy and Quinn Hughes got after their ELCs (except MacAvoy who had a bridge)

Sanderson needs to be in that tier as soon as 2024-25. No pressure kid!

I'm pretty high on Sandy. I think he will have some struggles this year (sophomore slump + a target on his back with the new contract), but he's smart enough and has the high hockey IQ to work past it. I do think 24-25 is going to be a golden year for him.

But, he isn't a Karlsson or the type of player we should pencil in as a 70+ point guy. That is an incredibly lofty goal. I know folks here are excited (and we all have a right to be excited), but we have to keep things realistic. Putting that kind of expectations on him is just too much.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm pretty high on Sandy. I think he will have some struggles this year (sophomore slump + a target on his back with the new contract), but he's smart enough and has the high hockey IQ to work past it. I do think 24-25 is going to be a golden year for him.

But, he isn't a Karlsson or the type of player we should pencil in as a 70+ point guy. That is an incredibly lofty goal. I know folks here are excited (and we all have a right to be excited), but we have to keep things realistic. Putting that kind of expectations on him is just too much.
At his peak, Erik Karlsson was in the conversation for being a top 3 player in the league and arguably the best offensive defenceman in the history of the NHL. Nobody should expect that, and certainly not for only 8 mil.

Last edited:

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020

Victor Hedman has been around 60 points for a 82 game season.
Duncan Keith around 50 points an 62 game season

This kid will most likely be a complete player, offense/defense.

Keith 3 cups, Hedman 2 cups, 3 finals.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
70 points is different now than when Karlsson was hitting them.

Sanderson can definitely hit 70 points in today's NHL.

Reactions: KingAlfie11

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sandy makes it crystal clear how important Brady, Norris, Stu, and Chabby singing long term was to him. He flat out says that the commitment from those guys to win here is what drive him to want to do the same long term.

Lots of talk about the room, lots of lip service too, but Sandy is yet another player who cites how close the guys all are on and off the ice as part of what makes wanting to spend the next 9 years here a priority.

We seriously have something special here with this team in my opinion. Once again I’m pumped to get the season started no matter what happens!

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
Sandy makes it crystal clear how important Brady, Norris, Stu, and Chabby singing long term was to him. He flat out says that the commitment from those guys to win here is what drive him to want to do the same long term.

Lots of talk about the room, lots of lip service too, but Sandy is yet another player who cites how close the guys all are on and off the ice as part of what makes wanting to spend the next 9 years here a priority.

We seriously have something special here with this team in my opinion. Once again I’m pumped to get the season started no matter what happens!
you beat me to it...

having a good locker room and no drama or issues relating to it is something this franchise has been lacking for some time now.... gotta give credit to the front office and the coaching staff

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The struggle to not give Dorion credit is real. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Credit to Dorion, portion of the fansbase still has PTSD a from his management of the rebuild and doesn’t trust him.

Don’t know where Pierre Dorion’s girlfriend fits into all of this but il excited to find out

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sandy's offensive side of his game has been developing so well since his draft year. By the end of his time at UND, you could see some of that creative offense breaking through.

He already had the skating and hockey IQ.

But the hands and confidence have started to catch up. Like Karl, I think there's a lot of confidence that comes with knowing you've got the speed and skill to correct any turnovers you might make.

No low-confidence hand grenade stuff like Cowen/Phaneuf/JBD. And no high-confidence low-urgency stuff like what's been plaguing Chabot's game.

Get a new defensive coach and tell Jake to play at tempo, to lead the rush more, to take more chances and to make more mistakes. Tell him to play like Karl for a bit and see what happens.

Tell Chabot to play with some f***ing urgency too while we're at it.

All that talent but he's become one of the most predictable players to defend against. He takes fancy risks with the puck and then immediately dishes it to a teammate in some low-impact area. He never actually challenges the other team.

Just does a little unnecessary pirouette on the blue line and then dishes back to another player standing flatfooted against the boards. Opens up a lane and then immediately relieves the pressure for the other team to close it.

Momentum dies on his stick. And the too many minutes excuse only goes so far.

Gotta make sure we steer Jake away from whatever dipshit coached that into Tommy Boy's game (or failed to coach it out of his game).

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Sandy's offensive side of his game has been developing so well since his draft year. By the end of his time at UND, you could see some of that creative offense breaking through.

He already had the skating and hockey IQ.

But the hands and confidence have started to catch up. Like Karl, I think there's a lot of confidence that comes with knowing you've got the speed and skill to correct any turnovers you might make.

No low-confidence hand grenade stuff like Cowen/Phaneuf/JBD. And no high-confidence low-urgency stuff like what's been plaguing Chabot's game.

Get a new defensive coach and tell Jake to play at tempo, to lead the rush more, to take more chances and to make more mistakes. Tell him to play like Karl for a bit and see what happens.

Tell Chabot to play with some f***ing urgency too while we're at it.

All that talent but he's become one of the most predictable players to defend against. He takes fancy risks with the puck and then immediately dishes it to a teammate in some low-impact area. He never actually challenges the other team.

Just does a little unnecessary pirouette on the blue line and then dishes back to another player standing flatfooted against the boards. Opens up a lane and then immediately relieves the pressure for the other team to close it.

Momentum dies on his stick. And the too many minutes excuse only goes so far.

Gotta make sure we steer Jake away from whatever dipshit coached that into Tommy Boy's game (or failed to coach it out of his game).
You know that DJ is still our coach right?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Was thinking he would come in the 7mill range but 8mill is acceptable.

Its a fair contract with both sides taking on risk

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
One good thing about core long term lockup is as the cap rises, it can all be allocated to improving the quality of the bottom six and attract free agents.
Sens and a couple other teams (buffalo njd) got really lucky with the flat cap. Pretty much teams that signed guys long term before the pandemic have been getting squeezed out ie Toronto and Tampa

The sens players really need to start taking advantage and make the playoffs.

Reactions: NyQuil

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I've said this a few times, but when I saw Sanderson in his sophomore, I couldn't believe it was the same guy from his freshman season.

I swear it was like he matured 3-4 years in his game. In his offense, his timing, his hands etc.

I cannot wait to see him next year. I wouldn't be least bit surprised to see him having a Doughty like sophomore season. Similarly, I can also see him having a Lindell or Brodin type season as one of the best defensive defenders in the league with 30+ points before his eventual breakout.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The only downside to Sanderson's deal is how will it affect Chychrun's next deal. He's going to want 8 too (depending how he plays the next two seasons).

If he stays healthy and plays like a stud, then that will be a good problem to deal with when the time comes.

Claude Giroux's $6.5M will be coming off that books in two seasons as well, and the cap is predicted to go up $8.5M or so by that time (to around $92M).

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Not that we'll ever know, but I'd be curious of the unvarnished opinion of opposing coaches and forwards, especially those on teams that played Sanderson in the second half of the year. I guess some might say, "who?". But I have a feeling some of them are nodding, "yes, smart move ". Especially those who kept seeing their zone entries turned around with efficient zone exits, as smooth as silk.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not that we'll ever know, but I'd be curious of the unvarnished opinion of opposing coaches and forwards, especially those on teams that played Sanderson in the second half of the year. I guess some might say, "who?". But I have a feeling some of them are nodding, "yes, smart move ". Especially those who kept seeing their zone entries turned around with efficient zone exits, as smooth as silk.

He's going to have a gigantic magnifying glass focused on him now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad