Confirmed with Link: News Release: The #Sens have signed defenceman Jake Sanderson to an eight-year ($8.050M AAV) contract extension

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Having two of the best young players of the next generation locked up for just over $16m/yr is almost too good to be true. Assuming Stu and Jake are top 10-15ish players at their positions for thr majority of their deals, then their salary numbers are 10yrs outdated.....

Our highest paid player for the better part of the next decade won't make over $8.2/yr, and we could see the salary cap rise by upwards $10-15m over that same period of time.

That's a bonkers amount of flexibility for what should be a contending team in a league where the very top players are likely making $13 million per or more.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I was ready to do 9mx8 so to me this a steal.

Kid is a gamer. Not gonna lie there are some Jared Cowen memories coming back with the high draft pick having a good first year then getting a gamble contract but I think Sanderson is going to be ok. When DJ said the kid doesn’t even drink that’s all I needed to know about how serious he takes his health and career

BradyTkachucky

Jul 31, 2005
Ottawa
I was ready to do 9mx8 so to me this a steal.

Kid is a gamer. Not gonna lie there are some Jared Cowen memories coming back with the high draft pick having a good first year then getting a gamble contract but I think Sanderson is going to be ok. When DJ said the kid doesn’t even drink that’s all I needed to know about how serious he takes his health and career
I think any fan who watched them both play know Sanderson is nothing like Cowen. Cowen had nothing between the ears, and Sandman has so much his ears are spread out further to fit all that hockey IQ in there. Sanderson will be a top 5 defenseman in the league, we know it, the boys in the locker room know it.

R2010

May 23, 2011
That guy is literally the worst evaluator in the world that's employed to cover the sport. He's a massive leaf fan that panders to their fanbase. 'His model' picks the leafs to win the cup every year.

It's moreso just making a point that even those who are 100% on board with analytics (like Dom) can't really find major fault in it. Only those who are purely looking at counting stats. Personally, I'm not a fan of Dom's work but I always find it interesting when multiple sides agree that this is not a reckless move.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think any fan who watched them both play know Sanderson is nothing like Cowen. Cowen had nothing between the ears, and Sandman has so much his ears are spread out further to fit all that hockey IQ in there. Sanderson will be a top 5 defenseman in the league, we know it, the boys in the locker room know it.
Spat my water out at that lol

Sanderseason 2.0 incoming

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
After letting the news kick in, I feel this move is a gamble considering Sanderson had a good rookie season, especially as he got more ice time. If he doesn't keep up the same play as his rookie season, the deal won't look good but everything about Sandy that makes him good isn't something that'll decline as he enters his prime (hockey IQ and skating). Things like offense will come and he'll out perform the deal within year 2.

Another good side effect is, when it comes to extending Chychrun and Chabot, unless they outperform Sanderson, they aren't getting another $8 million deal. Sanderson will most likely surpass both of those guys in ice time and play, and unless he's outscored by them by a wide margin, keeping Chychrun and Chabot as the cap goes up won't cost too much.

Can't wait for Sanderseason 2.0

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dorion made the deal so good on him. but it seems more likely to me that Stutzle and Sanderson signed these bargain contracts because they like Ottawa and their desire to win and to be the first to bring the Cup here. They aren't about maximizing the money like most other players. They are still rich with more money than they will be able to spend and they get to make the team more competitive.

They would have signed these contracts with anyone negotiating not because Dorion specifically convinced them when he won't even be the manager going forward.

Also they didn't sign these because of Brady example either lol, Brady literally sat out for the contract off a 50 point season. it was a circus, and then Brady was tweeting dollar signs on Norris twitter goal highlights lol. if they followed Brady example they would have been 9-10m players and they would not have signed early.

Stutzle and Sandy built different. Similar to Alfie and Karlsson.

Well I'll admit when I'm wrong.

Turns out you were right and Stutzle did knowingly take a discount, or at least signed early knowing he could probably could have made a lot more.

That's captain-esque stuff right there from Timmy.

Reactions: OD99

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Well I'll admit when I'm wrong.

Turns out you were right and Stutzle did knowingly take a discount, or at least signed early knowing he could probably could have made a lot more.

That's captain-esque stuff right there from Timmy.

I was going off his character and his passion for the game and winning.

Is there a new interview where he gets into it?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
  • Love
Reactions: Agent Zub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad