News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2023-24

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
well...seemingly the league IS done with Arizona, at least for the next 3-5 years. Sure looks like a move to Salt Lake will be done for next season.

Coyotes’ potential Salt Lake City relocation, sale gaining traction

I get the impression that they'll jump on the Salt Lake City deal if it's too good to pass up. The Coyotes need to win the bid for the land in June in order to have any chance to stay in Arizona and that's just the first hurdle. That auction isn't going to be handed to them either so it's really risky to put all your eggs in that basket.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I get the impression that they'll jump on the Salt Lake City deal if it's too good to pass up.
Problem is that the Salt Lake deal doesn't look amazing, but you're up against the reality of Arizona, which is terrible.

It's completely unrealistic, because the league would never accept the appearance of defeat after futilely propping up this franchise for so long, but just folding the team seems like the best option. Make a dispersal draft based on last Cup win.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Thinking about Quebec, with an arena ready to go, and how if the city can't get a team even as a rescue from a place like AZ type of situation, I can't imagine a return there is in the cards.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Thinking about Quebec, with an arena ready to go, and how if the city can't get a team even as a rescue from a place like AZ type of situation, I can't imagine a return there is in the cards.
I'm guessing the league would rather stay in the US. There'd have to be some kinda unbelievable bid for a Canadian team.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
Geez Hanifin.

I am glad that we did not get on that train. Not that I wouldn't take him, but not at that price.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Good thing we grabbed those two points because the outta town scoreboard was fairly disadvantageous.

Worst case scenario with DET vs PIT.
PHI wins against the Rag$
Heck, even the Make Beliefs are useless, losing 6-5 at home because they have nothing resembling goaltending.

Thankfully, the Caps didn't gain any ground, even if Buffalo did.

Just gotta keep winning baby.

Take 2 of the last 3 and we're fairly golden.

I think 1 W is enough to wrap up the final wild card spot, right?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Quebec City has a smaller population so there's less revenue opportunities there, and the Canadian dollar is weaker than the USD so they don't want to place teams in Canada right now.

It's so sad in many ways because it doesn't necessarily "have" to be this way.

If they were even just Massachussetts-like in the financial structures of their politics, there'd be more financial power available in the free market sector.

It's also just a damn shame because if the only question were "Where can we put a team that sells out a modern 17,000 arena basically every night?", then QBC city is at the top of that list. One of the most surefire attendance magnets out there.

Yes, yes, yes, I'm aware of population density and the TV market and marketing issues, etc.

The issues keeping Quebec (and Hamilton as well, albeit their woes are more complicated) out of the NHL in favor of a few of the less supportive markets are just plain sad.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
What has happened to Detroits Debrincat? Demoted to 4th line? Healthy scratch? Dude seems to have like 3 points in last 15 games. Didn’t he score 40 last year?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Good thing we grabbed those two points because the outta town scoreboard was fairly disadvantageous.

Worst case scenario with DET vs PIT.
PHI wins against the Rag$
Heck, even the Make Beliefs are useless, losing 6-5 at home because they have nothing resembling goaltending.

Thankfully, the Caps didn't gain any ground, even if Buffalo did.

Just gotta keep winning baby.

Take 2 of the last 3 and we're fairly golden.

I think 1 W is enough to wrap up the final wild card spot, right?

The magic number for a spot is 3 so we'll see after Saturday what has to happen in the last two games. There is a clinching scenario for Saturday.

It's so sad in many ways because it doesn't necessarily "have" to be this way.

If they were even just Massachussetts-like in the financial structures of their politics, there'd be more financial power available in the free market sector.

It's also just a damn shame because if the only question were "Where can we put a team that sells out a modern 17,000 arena basically every night?", then QBC city is at the top of that list. One of the most surefire attendance magnets out there.

Yes, yes, yes, I'm aware of population density and the TV market and marketing issues, etc.

The issues keeping Quebec (and Hamilton as well, albeit their woes are more complicated) out of the NHL in favor of a few of the less supportive markets are just plain sad.

Absolutely, and I wish that was the way it was. Quebec would pack the house, similar to Winnipeg when they first returned. I love seeing the raucous atmosphere with die-hard fans.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Another hurdle that seems like it's probably becoming insurmountable for a place like Quebec is the relocation or expansion fees. I believe they're going to be pretty hefty, and along with the rapidly inflating franchise values, that likely makes things prohibitive.

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Why so? I’d imagine Canadians would love and roundly support another team.
The point is to stay in the west to balance divisions, but mainly another US market they can tap into. Expansion is coming and it is not for the sentimental, but to tap into more US markets.
Problem is that the Salt Lake deal doesn't look amazing, but you're up against the reality of Arizona, which is terrible.

It's completely unrealistic, because the league would never accept the appearance of defeat after futilely propping up this franchise for so long, but just folding the team seems like the best option. Make a dispersal draft based on last Cup win.
Why doesn't it look amazing? Interested to hear the reason?

The rumoured # is 1B + 200 m relocation fee.
Arizona group pushes for a new arena and if they get the land and arena built - expansion in Arizona.

Ryan Smith and the ownership group is strong and there are plans for a new arena... Coyotes purchase will help in that venture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad