News Around the League 2016-17 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Continue from the previous thread

Or my fantasy team...I never ever get a high pick and this year I get the 3rd overall pick, I took Crosby and he is out with a concussion already.

I think it is my fault.

I'm not gonna lie, one of my first thoughts was thank goodness my fantasy draft's tonight after this came out, since I was in a spot (4) where it was possible I'd wind up with Crosby too. Not likely but possible.

But yeah as much as we bag on Crosby you hate to see something like this accumulate.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
http://www.startribune.com/ryan-car...areer-threatening-shoulder-surgery/396465261/

Even in the worst of times, Ryan Carter finds a way to keep his sense of humor.

The White Bear Lake native joked that he planned to eat Lean Cuisine’s Chicken With Almonds Sunday night now that he was no longer invited to the Wild’s team dinner.

Carter, who spent the past two seasons with his hometown Wild but attended training camp on a tryout, tells the Star Tribune that he was delivered the difficult news Sunday that he had been anticipating.

The Wild won’t be offering him a contract, thus making him unemployed for the first time in his professional career.

What’s worse? Carter, a 10-year NHL veteran, tells me he now plans to undergo surgery on a torn labrum in his right shoulder that threatens to effectively end his career.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I can't believe some of the guys that have jobs in the league and he doesn't.

Well now it seems like injury's going to end Carter's career as much as anything else.

Wonder if we'll find something for him to do post-career?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well now it seems like injury's going to end Carter's career as much as anything else.

Wonder if we'll find something for him to do post-career?

I would think if Lou was here the chances would be better.

Maybe he becomes a developmental coach like Clemmensen or Weinrich?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Paulie Thompson on waivers too

He's one of the biggest scrubs going.

I remember one of his NHL games last year, he made Gionta and O'Neill look like good players.

There were a couple people enamored with him because of his AHL all star season, where he scored all those points at age 27 or something. Despite being an average AHL player before this. He wasn't quite as good last year and hardly produced jack in the playoffs for Albany, from what I remember.

Don't wanna claim any of these guys.

I would be alright with claiming Pulkinnen or maybe even PAP though.

Kucherov going to sign for 6.5 a year tomorrow.
That's too bad. I was hoping to offer sheet!:sarcasm:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Think of us claiming Sislo or Thompson.

I'd barf. It would be such a terrible way to start my afternoon.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Great deal for Tampa. Man is going to get PAID in three years though.
That's not a great deal. That's a steal of unparalleled proportions. That's an absurd deal. That's an almost incomprehensibly good deal. That's a Steve Yzerman is a black wizard deal. That's a "had to sell my soul to the Devil but in the end I think it was worth it" deal.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That's not a great deal. That's a steal of unparalleled proportions. That's an absurd deal. That's an almost incomprehensibly good deal. That's a Steve Yzerman is a black wizard deal. That's a "had to sell my soul to the Devil but in the end I think it was worth it" deal.

At the same time, I would say that is also a "Kucherov is almost certainly gone in three years" deal.

If they win the cup in the next three years, Yzerman will look like a genius. If they don't, he can pretty much kiss Kucherov goodbye at the end of that deal. They're eventually going to have to re-up Johnson and Palat next off-season and Namestnikov in two. No way Yzerman gets them all under the cap.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
At the same time, I would say that is also a "Kucherov is almost certainly gone in three years" deal.

If they win the cup in the next three years, Yzerman will look like a genius. If they don't, he can pretty much kiss Kucherov goodbye at the end of that deal. They're eventually going to have to re-up Johnson and Palat next off-season and Namestnikov in two. No way Yzerman gets them all under the cap.
Kucherov is a RFA at deal's end, and this buys three years to clear cap.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Kucherov is a RFA at deal's end, and this buys three years to clear cap.

After looking at their cap situation, they might be able to pull this off.

Still very risky although it is worthwhile given they are contending for the cup. If they win at any point, this deal makes it worth it, even if you lose Kucherov in the process.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see a 4.667 Kucherov be a very hot commodity in the final year as a trade candidate.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
After looking at their cap situation, they might be able to pull this off.

Still very risky although it is worthwhile given they are contending for the cup. If they win at any point, this deal makes it worth it, even if you lose Kucherov in the process.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see a 4.667 Kucherov be a very hot commodity in the final year as a trade candidate.
This was the only way to get under the cap this year, and it gives them time to negotiate trade deals without the exigencies of impending contract doom. Any way you look at it, this is good for Tampa compared to where they were yesterday.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This was the only way to get under the cap this year, and it gives them time to negotiate trade deals without the exigencies of impending contract doom. Any way you look at it, this is good for Tampa compared to where they were yesterday.

I also did not realize that Kucherov's deal brings him to when Coburn and Stralman are UFAs and a year after Filppula and Garrison's deals are done.

So it definitely gives them some flexibility although they are going to have another tumultuous off-season next year when Palat, Johnson, Drouin, Sustr, Koekkoek, and Nesterov all need to be re-upped with around 15 million likely to spare.

By that time though, they may be able to offload Filppula and have Namestnikov assume his role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad