News Article: News and Notes XXXIV - is it time for us to make panic trades yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
By definition, isn't a rumor not credible?
Not necessarily. If Bob, LeBrun, or one of the few people that actually does coverage for the Canes comes out and starts talking about the team looking at doing something, post away.

If the rumor is from something calling itself HockeyTradeRumors, NHL Rumors, or Hockey Insiderrrrrrr don't post it.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Not necessarily. If Bob, LeBrun, or one of the few people that actually does coverage for the Canes comes out and starts talking about the team looking at doing something, post away.

If the rumor is from something calling itself HockeyTradeRumors, NHL Rumors, or Hockey Insiderrrrrrr don't post it.
At the same time, I don't think speculation is necessarily bad if it helps drive discussion on here, just as long as it doesn't become completely toxic.

With that being said, to continue how the last thread ended, I would be particularly amused if we had a tandem of Freddie Anderson and James Reimer going forward so that we could really test the theory on whether or not Toronto's goalies were truly that bad. I mean heck, we already won with their zamboni driver, taking their 2-deep from a couple years ago just seems like the next logical step.

Plus, it would be nice to see what they could do with an honest to goodness living breathing defense in front of them.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, I know. I was just kidding (in the way Joe mentioned) that the true definition of a rumor is
1: talk or opinion widely disseminated with no discernible source
2: a statement or report current without known authority for its truth

I get that on HF, we mean it to be something different. BTW, is there an HF list of who is and isn't a credible source? I know LeBrun, Friedman, McKenzie, etc...but when you get beyond the big names, I have no clue.

Reminds me of that guy on a different forum that was telling everyone the Flyers were moving on from Richards and Carter and nobody believed him at first. He clearly was an insider as he had all the details before anything was public. Always cool that happens and wish I still had a link to it, but I think he later deleted it all, probably to keep from getting in trouble.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The account above does have nearly 25k followers. It they were always or often wrong - not sure that would be the case.

if you can get some player signed gear from being a STH, you can give it away to people who will follow and retweet. You do it enough, you can easily get 10,000 followers if its a big market team. Not many people will un-follow afterwards. That person has become an influencer, and in turn creditable on Twitter, while having no knowledge or inside information. The best part is when someone challenges that "blue check" on that information but are immediately smacked down because they only have 10 followers and they have 10000. The hypocrisy of the situation is hilarious.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
But he’s already a known entity- an up and comer doesn’t get the same benefit of the doubt normally.

I guess time will tell.

NHLRumors has been around for years, it's not an up and comer.

EDIT: Looked at his twitter account and it's been around for 8 years.

After reading the tweet, it's not really breaking much at all. We've already been linked to Andersen from other "credible" sources so he's not breaking that info. If we were to acquire Andersen (or any goalie), one of Reimer or Mrazek has to be moved so it's common sense and a 50/50 chance.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
NHLRumors has been around for years, it's not an up and comer.

EDIT: Looked at his twitter account and it's been around for 8 years.

After reading the tweet, it's not really breaking much at all. We've already been linked to Andersen from other "credible" sources so he's not breaking that info. If we were to acquire Andersen (or any goalie), one of Reimer or Mrazek has to be moved so it's common sense and a 50/50 chance.
And its not like the account was saying an Andersen for Reimer trade was in the works, just that we were interested in Andersen, which would create a 3 man logjam, which would likely need to be fixed, with their thinking Reimer would be a welcome fit in a place like Ottawa.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I tend to look at who else follows them as well when it comes to credibility.

Still found this more thought provoking than the mumbo jumbo about the Canes from Scott Burnsides today on The Athletic.

Reactions: emptyNedder

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Still found this more thought provoking than the mumbo jumbo about the Canes from Scott Burnsides today on The Athletic.
that whole article was bad. Saying NYI had to replace Greiss. They just got the Russain wonder kid. Other things were wrong too.

Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I just read that from Burnsie.

Meh. Typed a lot of words to say absolutely nothing at all. What he said about us could literally be said for most, if not all of the rest of the teams in the league going into this offseason.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I get that on HF, we mean it to be something different. BTW, is there an HF list of who is and isn't a credible source? I know LeBrun, Friedman, McKenzie, etc...but when you get beyond the big names, I have no clue.

Unfortunately not that I know of on the whole. Generally I lean on two criteria for quoting outside sources:

1 - are they local or national media?
2 - do they have a history of credibility or are there issues there?

Something from Portzline or Dater or Sara is credible since they are or have been media covering a team
The insiderrrrr type accounts that posted the Andersen rumor fail both, hard
Eklund fails criteria 2 so spectacularly that it negates the entirety of criteria 1 even if he does qualify as a national fugue.

Doesn't even necessarily eliminate the potential that they're full of shit. Georges Laraque on the relocation rumors shortly before the sale to Dundon qualifies as a potentially credible source (well, credible as far as Quebec media goes) that bought in to and spread a completely bunk rumor. Stuff like that which had a thread of credibility is fine by me more often than not, it'll be scrutinized and analyzed and when there's no truth to it we'll roundly mock it because this is the Canes board after all. Forum 26 suffers no fools.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
And its not like the account was saying an Andersen for Reimer trade was in the works, just that we were interested in Andersen, which would create a 3 man logjam, which would likely need to be fixed, with their thinking Reimer would be a welcome fit in a place like Ottawa.

Yep, that's what I was saying.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

OTOH, Bob was the one who was spitballing the "Zaitsev+Johnsson for Pesce, would the Canes accept that?" on Toronto media about 1.5 years ago that became such a huge thing with Leaf fans.

And he's semi-retiring after this season.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Well, I was only commenting on your first post that said he must have some credibility because of 25K followers. I don't think number of followers has anything to do with credibility.

I have no problem with the tweet though, just doubt the credibility of that tweeter. Like I said, we were already reported to be interested in Andersen and if so, one of our goalies has to move. Reimer seems logical.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
OTOH, Bob was the one who was spitballing the "Zaitsev+Johnsson for Pesce, would the Canes accept that?" on Toronto media about 1.5 years ago that became such a huge thing with Leaf fans.

And he's semi-retiring after this season.
True... and we mocked it when it happened because no f***ing way do we ever say yes to that deal even if Pesce was demanding a trade. Because we'd have made that public and within hours have 29 better offers on the table for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad