News and Notes Part 11: Where we find out how many goals Malone can score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
just in that they are both big bodied, bottom pair guys.

bellemore was obviously more physical and biega does some other things better than brett, but by in large, just in what they both are. ie big bodied, bottom pair guys.

Ok, I guess I just don't see it, other than the "bottom pairing" part. Even size wise, Bellemore would be considered a big body as he is 6'4" 225 vs. 6'0" 205 for Biega which is probably kind of average for an NHL defenseman. And as I listed in my previous post, their skill sets aren't really comparable IMO.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Ok, I guess I just don't see it, other than the "bottom pairing" part. Even size wise, Bellemore would be considered a big body as he is 6'4" 225 vs. 6'0" 205 for Biega which is probably kind of average for an NHL defenseman. And as I listed in my previous post, their skill sets aren't really comparable IMO.

I know it's not exactly apples, to apples, but I just view the two of them as big-ish, bottom pair guys w/ marginal differences in play style.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Other than make good decisions with the puck and, you know, play defense, not much....

Over 10 NHL games and two pretty meh AHL seasons?

I can't remember a single aspect that was overtly noticeable about Biega. He was the blueberry poptarts of prospects during his 10 games called up. I have trouble remembering a single thing about him; and if his name were not constantly mentioned because he is currently 4th by default on the Hurricanes' depth chart at right handed defensemen, I would likely have forgotten he even existed.

At least with Murphy, I can tell you the good and bad aspects of his current NHL game. Which have been widely discussed on these boards.

But whatever. The grass is always greener?

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Biega reminds me more of Casey Borer than anything we currently have on the roster. I'm sure there's some upside remaining with Biega. I've been a fan for a while.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Over 10 NHL games and two pretty meh AHL seasons?

I can't remember a single aspect that was overtly noticeable about Biega. He was the blueberry poptarts of prospects during his 10 games called up. I have trouble remembering a single thing about him; and if his name were not constantly mentioned because he is currently 4th by default on the Hurricanes' depth chart at right handed defensemen, I would likely have forgotten he even existed.

At least with Murphy, I can tell you the good and bad aspects of his current NHL game. Which have been widely discussed on these boards.

But whatever. The grass is always greener?

Not so much "...the grass is always greener" as it is he was very, very solid in his own zone. I do not remember his getting outmuscled or out-played a single time....and yes it was only a 10 game call up. All in all he played quite well this year in Charlotte on a very bad team. His pervious year was marred by a concussion-inducing hit his first shift of his first game with the Checkers.

The other thing that I noticed was that he had very crisp, accurate passes to get the puck out of his own zone. Look, I'm not trying to pump this guy's tires, nor am I trying to denegrate Murphy. I really hope Ryan continues his progression. But right now he's a borderline 3rd pairing guy, even with the great strides he made at the end of last year. I'd love to see him take the next step, but maybe that will entail a little more time in Charlotte. In the meantime, I'm very comfortable with what I saw from Biega.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Borderline 3rd pairing guy with 3rd pairing potential who is safe in his own end
vs.
Borderline 3rd pairing guy with solid top-4 potential who brings a skill-set that nobody else in the system can touch and can also provide a needed boost to the PP

It's not even close for me. If the Canes were hurting on the defensive end I could see the argument for Biega, but they are running a very defense-oriented system as-is. They need all the PMD they can get.

On top of that the Canes desperately need some flair. They run a defensive system and their group of forwards are also probably bottom-5 in the league. I just don't see the casual fan getting excited by the promise of 1-0 or 2-1 games every night. Murphy has the talent to make those "WOW" type of plays that get people out of their seats.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Oh, he sure does.

"Wow, that was an awful pinch. Wooooooow."

(Not saying you're wrong, but those wows go both ways.)

Sure they do. Faulk has made some terrible defensive plays, particularly noticeable ones misplaying breakaways, in the past couple years as well. The hope is that the player is smart enough to learn when to pick their spots. Murphy doesn't seem like a low IQ player to me and recent reports from the team state that he is working hard this summer. I have hope that he can learn from his mistakes, while not overcompensating and diminishing his positive "WOW" moments.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Borderline 3rd pairing guy with 3rd pairing potential who is safe in his own end
vs.
Borderline 3rd pairing guy with solid top-4 potential who brings a skill-set that nobody else in the system can touch and can also provide a needed boost to the PP.

It's not even close for me. If the Canes were hurting on the defensive end I could see the argument for Biega, but they are running a very defense-oriented system as-is. They need all the PMD they can get.

On top of that the Canes desperately need some flair. They run a defensive system and their group of forwards are also probably bottom-5 in the league. I just don't see the casual fan getting excited by the promise of 1-0 or 2-1 games every night. Murphy has the talent to make those "WOW" type of plays that get people out of their seats.
Agreed for the most part on Murphy, as I already shared in another thread.

Not to single you out, because I've read the same thing here several times, but this is not a defensive system that BP runs. Yes, he stresses accountability and solid play in all 3 zones but it is a puck possession system pure and simple, with an emphasis on skating and playing a heavy forecheck (not unlike Babcock's). With the lack of scoring last season and the more wide-open styles of the past with plenty of cheating the other way, it sometimes feels like it's a D-first system but that is not its design.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
My biggest concern about Biega was his skating. He isn't slow, he's just a little awkward and doesn't have very smooth transitions. He seemed a half second behind a lot of quick changing playa that I'm sure he can adapt to in time as he gains experience. For a strong guy, I'm not sure how strong on his skates he is. I liked him though. I don't see him higher than Jordan coming into camp.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Sure they do. Faulk has made some terrible defensive plays, particularly noticeable ones misplaying breakaways, in the past couple years as well. The hope is that the player is smart enough to learn when to pick their spots. Murphy doesn't seem like a low IQ player to me and recent reports from the team state that he is working hard this summer. I have hope that he can learn from his mistakes, while not overcompensating and diminishing his positive "WOW" moments.

The issue for me isn't who has the higher potential upside, it's who is the better defenseman today, right now. The answer to that, for me, is Biega AINEC.

Sure Danny Biega only had 10 games so the sample size is tiny. But he looked like he belonged...from his first shift. Ryan Murphy still looks tentative, unsure...and he continues to use his raw but incredible talents to....well not do much at all. Hence my point about Murphy being the odd man out, the guy who needs more seasoning in the AHL. We all agree that his stint down there last year did wonders for him. He came back and was improved. I've said as much and will say it again....his last 20 games he was a much better player....but he still wasn't very good at all in his own zone. He still had his defensive partners having to cover for him.

While that's fine and expected of a young defenseman, it is even more fine if he hones his skills in Charlotte until those type of mistakes and that type of weak defensive performance improves.

Ryan Murphy is going to be good I believe, perhaps even very good. But today I'd much rather have Danny Biega as a part of my defensive group.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
For me, aside from small sample size of Biega, I won't base who's the better defenseman today based on what happened last year. These guys will fight it out in camp to determine who's better. They are both at an age still where a lot of development can happen from one season to the next. Even just from the end of last season to the beginning of this coming season any number of factors such as training, maturing, studying the game harder, and I'm sure other things could see either of these guys take their game to another level from where it has been so far. We won't know until they get some game action under their belts starting in preseason. Murphy being a bit younger may be even more likely to have that light come on in a big leap starting in camp and moving forward.

As for where they were at the end of last season, Biega was pretty forgettable to me, but not necessarily in a bad way. I do personally think that with some of the improvement Murphy had made both offensively and defensively by the end of the year, I'd have him higher on the depth chart, but like I said, that doesn't mean much come camp and preseason. I could certainly see a scenario where both are up and rotate in and out based on style of play and match ups. With as weak as our forwards are currently, might not even be a bad idea to throw 7 dmen out occasionally. Still think both could have a future with us, which is nice to see.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Ryan Murphy has one exceptional end of the ice, which is more than I can say for Danny Biega. I'm a fan of Biega. I think an organization needs depth like him. But he's certainly a jack-of-all-trades type.... which in scouting vernacular means he's mediocre at everything. It's a tough truth. NHL clubs want players to be exceptional at one end of the ice. Offense from the defense position is crucial and it's why almost every top prospect is expected to have it.

Murphy needs sink or swim NHL time, and I think he'll get it. Some players can only do so much in the AHL to improve themselves. He's such a talented skater that it's a walk in the park for him down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad