New York Rangers represented by small group of prospects at CHL level

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

For the first time in many years, the New York Rangers have fewer junior players in their system than almost any other NHL team. There are only four New York prospects skating in the CHL this season, two in the WHL, and one in each of the QMJHL and OHL. Although this is partly the result of the team moving toward drafting players headed to college, it also can be explained by the small number of selections that New York has had in recent drafts. In the last three years, the Rangers have only drafted 16 players, including four in the 2012 NHL Draft.… read more

More...

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Can you do us a favor and instead of giving the same scouting report of the player, focus on what happened since your last review?

We all know that McColgan is a smallish winger who works hard in the corners and has average skating ability. Those of us who don't know it, can read this on his profile or in many other articles, including your past ones and what was coming out when he was drafted.

It would be better to focus on how his season has gone. Did he grow bigger? Improve his skating? Worked on his defense?

Dec 13, 2010
Can you do us a favor and instead of giving the same scouting report of the player, focus on what happened since your last review?

We all know that McColgan is a smallish winger who works hard in the corners and has average skating ability. Those of us who don't know it, can read this on his profile or in many other articles, including your past ones and what was coming out when he was drafted.

It would be better to focus on how his season has gone. Did he grow bigger? Improve his skating? Worked on his defense?

:handclap: thank you. sick of reading the same crap, specifically about mccolgan.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York

No, no, and if he has worked on it, the change is incremental rather than something worthy of mention. As I said, he has gotten more responsibility since the trade (which BTW, happened since the last update). The most important thing for McColgan moving forward is to increase the speed of his decision-making. If you are not the best skater, then speed of decisionmaking is extremely important. McColgan knows this and is working on this area, specifically.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hey Leslie, thanks for the updates, what about Noreau. I would have thought he would be a lock for an ELC from the Rangers. He looks like he has a legit NHL future with his "keep-it-simple" style, toughness and newfound offensive skills.

SupersonicMonkey*

Thanks for the updates Leslie.

Its better to see updates on actual hockey rather then this CBA mess.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Hey Leslie, thanks for the updates, what about Noreau. I would have thought he would be a lock for an ELC from the Rangers. He looks like he has a legit NHL future with his "keep-it-simple" style, toughness and newfound offensive skills.

I believe that the Rangers will most likely sign him, but it is not a sure thing. He always had a really good shot from the point, it has been getting there that has been the issue. Footwork and positioning have gone from disaster to not so bad, but Noreau still has quite a bit of work ahead of him. He has very good hockey sense, but feet and positioning remain an issue.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If those are the biggest weaknesses in his game, that's encouraging. Those are two things that can be addressed through practice and coaching.

Gotta be pleased with how Noreau has progressed. Most guys picked that late never develop into anything. Sammy looks like he has a chance to be a good pro.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Positioning is the easiest thing to fix. Skating can also be helped to a large degree (see: Brian Boyle). You can't rhythm Momesso into Bure, but you can make someone good enough for the NHL. I think Noreau can be a player if he works hard enough.

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
Hey Leslie,

Thank you for the report...I have really been trying to focus on our current group of prospects, our cup looks rather bare. Gordie and Gorton really need to knock it out of the park this next draft. All of our forwards are small, outside of Miller, Kreider, Boo and Fogarty. The Islanders are drafting tree trunk defensemen...Reinhart, Mayfield, Hamonic, Pedan, Pelech, will all play in Brooklyn and God help us if either of these two develop...Leduc or Somerby.

Their forwards outside of Strome are all big...we can't take chances on all of these smaller guys and expect to compete...again, I am talking 3-5 years down the road.

I am curious on your take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad