Post-Series Talk: New York Rangers defeat the Carolina Hurricanes 4-2, advance to ECF

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
That Shane Diesel poster sure clowned himself in this thread.

Hey, tough guy, how come the team with the "superior talent" now lost back 2 back series against the Rangers? Have any model to explain that?
Winning the possession battle doesn't guarantee winning the game. I've never said otherwise. You don't read carefully along with the vast majority of NY fans.

Last edited:

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
The chart you posted is measuring actual goals scored less expected goals as an impact on expected points gained per game. This doesn't refute the fact the Rangers are outshot and outchanced regularly.

Here's a hockey viz chart I prefer that uses expected goals for and against based on a full 60 minute game. Below average as usual.
1716018919126.png

Last edited:

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
They were losing games with Kochetkov in the net also.

Their biggest issue every year is scoring. You win in the playoffs with star players and they don’t have them. It’s no more complicated than that.

Freddy Andersen is just a distraction topic.
NYR outscored CAR 20-19 in the 6-game series (or 19-18 discounting ENs). The 1st 4 games were decided by a 1-goal margin (2 in OT). Games 5 and 6 were (discounting the 2 ENs, 1 in each) a 2-goal margin and 1-goal margin.

Goals x games NYR: 1G x 1, 3G x 2, 4G x 2, 5G x 1 (20)
Goals x games CAR: 2G x 1, 3G x 3, 4G x 2 (19)

Number of games scoring 3+ non-EN goals: NYR - 5/6 CAR - 5/6
Non-EN GPG Avg: NYR - 3.17 CAR - 3.0
(Note that there were no blowout games in this series to radically skew the average. They generally reflect the closeness is scoring).

Until 6:43 of the 3rd period of Game 6, and up 3-1 when their epic meltdown began, in the Series CAR had outscored the NYR 19-16.

While Canes' lack of PP scoring (which indeed is a recurring problem) could have been a difference-maker in games 1-3, to say a lack of scoring (even at 3 GPG) is the reason they failed in this Series isn't credible unless that generalization is applied to 15/16 playoff teams who also don't win the SC.

The only real scoring problem with CAR was allowing 2 x ES and 1 PP goal within 9 minutes in the 3rd of Game 6. You'd be hard-pressed to find a more glaring example of how easily games are lost without a good Defence.

Last edited:

pelderhostiga

May 2, 2014
I really don't understand what happened to their net front coverage over the last 3 games.

Oh look, another private analytics model that shows the Rangers getting the better of the quality.

I don't like these kinds of stats because the series is not one long game and in the playoffs we count the win of individual games and not the overall score. The fact remains that Carolina had more high slot chances in two games and Rangers in one, and Carolina won the expected goals battle in four games and Rangers in one. The rest of the games were pretty even with these metrics.

But of course there is a difference between creating expected goals and actually scoring. This difference is often called gamebreaking talent, and I don't think anyone can argue the Rangers have more of that in offence and in goaltending than Carolina. That is why guys like Panarin and Shesterkin earn the big bucks.

Reactions: Shane Diesel

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Laf had a great series, carried the puck and controlled play, backchecked every shift and laid out some hard hits. Hard to believe he's only 22.
He's a gem.
Rangers had such a solid top six , giving them the luxury to bring the kid along right. Tremendous.
On my Habs he would have been the number one center at 18, growth stunted , bad press, then traded.

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
He doesn't understand? Of course he understands, yes he's a 21 year old kid but he's a home-grown draft product that is just getting his feet wet in this league to be a 4th line utility player. I don't know what's so hard for the majority of people to realize with Matt Rempe and how he's been utilized thus far since that Stadium Series game, he's not a lobotomized sideshow jester and he's certainly done more for the club in this short time than Reaves ever did in his entire NYR tenure.
The haters are going to hate! Thats what they do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad