Post-Series Talk: New York Rangers defeat the Carolina Hurricanes 4-2, advance to ECF

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
to me the Panthers pressure like the Hurricanes but they're also a lot more physical team. I'd also easily take Barkov, Tkachuk, Reinhart, Verhaeghe over Aho, Svechnikov, Guentzel, Jarvis---though after that I think the Canes are a little bit deeper than the Panthers. I like the Canes defense better as well at least if we're trading out DeAngelo for Pesce. Slavin and Pesce are amongst the elite of defensive defensemen in the league. I think Bobrovsky may be a little better than Andersen.....they're guys who can go really hot and then really cold. You need a good backup with either in the regular season and hope to God they don't flop in the playoffs. Bobrovsky went a long way last year.

If it's the Panthers I expect that Rempe is going to be in at least some of the games. Questions about whether the Rangers locker room was hit by the flu the last few games---apart from that it appears the entire roster is healthy and that Chytil and Wheeler will even be available. It's a big deal because I could see a good deal of attrition coming out of a Panthers/Rangers series. Any team that gets to the conference finals is capable of going all the way.
Panthers take out Rags in 6

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Some fans don't realize that hitting the post also could mean that was the only available spot to beat the goalie and had it been an inch the other way, it may hit a piece of equipment preventing it from even coming as close as it did. With that said, it's all speculation, because hitting the post an inch the other way could end up quickly going in the other direction. It's just that when you hear the sound and see it so close to going in, you tend to just throw your head up and say "Just our luck..."
Exactly. Hitting a post and not scoring means you couldn't score. That could have been caused by the goalie, a defender, or a simple lack of accuracy or execution. Any way you cut it, those who deserve the goals are the ones who actually scored them.

End of the day: coulda, woulda, shoulda. But didn't. The cup goes to those who did, not to those who didn't but almost did.

Clutch is a factor too. And guess who has the some of the most clutch playoff goals of active players in the NHL?

Chris Kreider.

Please tell me which models account for clutch, character, and dealing with pressure in big moments. None of them. If "deserved to score" really mattered, then our own Kaapo Kakko would be a first line player. But he's not because even though he has wonderful underlying metrics, he doesn't get points.

So he's a third liner on our squad.

Results are all that matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Tremendous series. Carolina has a hell of a team. That Kreider performance is going to get him his number retired. That was something.
I feel like he was 95% certain before, and this game pushed it to 105%

I turned the game off at 3-1 and churned out like 2 big bids for work and turned the game back on and saw it was 5-3 and was like "hell yeah"

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Your comment is funny because it is so true.
I was completely despondent halfway through the game, and I have always been the most positive about any team I support and follow (Rangers and NHL is all I care about)

This game was crazy. I got caught in my own negativity and bad thoughts. It just shows how things can turn 180 degrees.
The quickest turnaround from "we're so done" to "we're so back" I've had in my life.

Of course they do

Well yeah. Because NY sports fans understand that we're incredibly close to the most toxic playoff sports environment ever, with two simultaneous NY/BOS conference finals.

The world is not ready for the toxicity that will come out from these two cities if this happens and they both go to 6 or 7 games.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Neutral fan here who did watch every game in the series. Canes was far better team at even strength, but special teams and goaltending got Rangers the series win. I dont believe that it can happen again against Boston or Florida, those teams are at "the final boss level". Well, good luck to Rangers against Panthers or Bruins.
Sure...the teams that finished below the Rangers in the standings are "boss level". Canes 5v5 dominance was largely a mirage when it came down to meaningful scoring chances over the series.

I do think Florida is more dangerous offensively but isn't quite as relentless as Carolina/can be exploited the other way a bit easier, but if the Rangers find themselves trying to just "weather the storm" against Florida it could get ugly.

Boston lacks offensive depth, especially at C. They're gonna scrap and try to defend and goalie their way to victory but it's also not a scary matchup for the Rangers. Could Boston win it? Sure. But I dont' think they'd be favorites either.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Some fans don't realize that hitting the post also could mean that was the only available spot to beat the goalie and had it been an inch the other way, it may hit a piece of equipment preventing it from even coming as close as it did. With that said, it's all speculation, because hitting the post an inch the other way could end up quickly going in the other direction. It's just that when you hear the sound and see it so close to going in, you tend to just throw your head up and say "Just our luck..."
To me, if it’s not counted as a shot on goal, not counted as a goal, then it’s a shot attempt which has no value to the game other than tracking Corsi.

Reactions: pld459666

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
tenor.gif

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Panthers take out Rags in 6

Hopefully not but it's possible. First Florida will have to finish off Boston and though it would be a little surprising if that doesn't happen it wouldn't be shocking if the Bruins somehow pulled it out.

The Rangers are going to go into the series rested again. If the Panthers don't win tonight....they won't so much. I like Igor more than Bobrovsky and IMO Fox is the best d-man in the series. To me it's kind of a wash between their top end forwards and ours. Neither Panarin or Fox have been lights out yet IMO. A lot will depend though on how guys deeper down in the lineup play. It's a 20 man effort.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Hopefully not but it's possible. First Florida will have to finish off Boston and though it would be a little surprising if that doesn't happen it wouldn't be shocking if the Bruins somehow pulled it out.

The Rangers are going to go into the series rested again. If the Panthers don't win tonight....they won't so much. I like Igor more than Bobrovsky and IMO Fox is the best d-man in the series. To me it's kind of a wash between their top end forwards and ours. Neither Panarin or Fox have been lights out yet IMO. A lot will depend though on how guys deeper down in the lineup play. It's a 20 man effort.
Yup.
and knowing all that I pick the Panthers in 6

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Exactly. Hitting a post and not scoring means you couldn't score. That could have been caused by the goalie, a defender, or a simple lack of accuracy or execution. Any way you cut it, those who deserve the goals are the ones who actually scored them.

End of the day: coulda, woulda, shoulda. But didn't. The cup goes to those who did, not to those who didn't but almost did.

Clutch is a factor too. And guess who has the some of the most clutch playoff goals of active players in the NHL?

Chris Kreider.

Please tell me which models account for clutch, character, and dealing with pressure in big moments. None of them. If "deserved to score" really mattered, then our own Kaapo Kakko would be a first line player. But he's not because even though he has wonderful underlying metrics, he doesn't get points.

So he's a third liner on our squad.

Results are all that matter.

The other thing is throughout any series there are going to be pucks going off crossbars and posts. It's not just last night's game that was affected by that. It's possible the series would already have been over if shots had gone one way or other in say game 4.

Kreider got his goals from in close last night. If you can get the shots from where he was getting them it's more likely the goalie is either making the save or it's a goal. The shot % going in from that distance is just higher. The Canes don't have a player quite like that.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Every series there is a fan that says this. Embarrassing
You have to be in it to win it!! As far as Shesterkin being beatable all series, that is just comical because after 3 games every hockey person was saying he looked unbeatable! That Carolina needed deflections and traffic to beat him. By the way, he looked really beatable on that shot by Svechnikov, so beatable that he made an amazing save!! Just go away, stop acting like a sore loser. Its embarrassing! IGOR was the best player on the ice this series and if there was such a thing as a series MVP he would have received it unanimously!!
I’m so embarrassed and ashamed. How do you all get triggered by one post on a message board? How embarrassing.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The other thing is throughout any series there are going to be pucks going off crossbars and posts. It's not just last night's game that was affected by that. It's possible the series would already have been over if shots had gone one way or other in say game 4.

Kreider got his goals from in close last night. If you can get the shots from where he was getting them it's more likely the goalie is either making the save or it's a goal. The shot % going in from that distance is just higher. The Canes don't have a player quite like that.
And Shesterkin made some big saves when the Canes did get those chances. Huge stop on Svechnikov to protect the lead at the end

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
Carolina was the better team last night- Anderson let them down.
Ahh the classic goalies aren't part of the team trope.

His team left him out to dry on the 4-3 goal. The 3-3 goal wasn't much better coverage on the PP with the space and movement the Rangers had.

Better for part of the game, sure. In the 3rd, absolutely not.

Reactions: trilobyte

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Neutral fan here who did watch every game in the series. Canes was far better team at even strength, but special teams and goaltending got Rangers the series win. I dont believe that it can happen again against Boston or Florida, those teams are at "the final boss level". Well, good luck to Rangers against Panthers or Bruins.
Boston final boss? Lofl. They barely got by the Leafs and have been the worse team in every game against Florida, sometimes significantly so. If anything, Boston is more like the Rangers than the Rangers youre describing in that Boston relies on Swayman even more than the Rangers do on Shesterkin.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
The discrepancy in HDCF with private (paid) models vs publicly available (free) models comes down to how they measure it. Free models are mostly location based, whereas paid models tend to include more factors leading up to the shot attempt, like cross-crease passes. Vally's Clear Sight Analytics values cross-crease passes very highly in its shot attempt danger calculation

Reactions: ecemleafs

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
When you chop any game into a bunch of pieces, and then apply analysis to those pieces you subjectively assembled, and then pretend to present some objective conclusion, you should know that that just doesn't fly. It's bogus.
The game is a collection of a whole lot of dynamics. When you try to tell me that you know better than the final score, that is when I say you are wrong.

The final score is what matters. That tells the whole story in pretty much every sports contest. The better team won.
When the Rangers lose, I see it that way too
It's why hockey is not a big betting sport. You cant just break it down and analyze who is gonna win any particular game. The bounce of the puck is all that matters.

Reactions: trilobyte

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad