Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at New York Islanders 2/16/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosierDaddy

Jun 29, 2007
Norway
That scuffle occurred right after McDonagh tied the game at 3. 4 minutes later, the islanders scored to take the lead again and scored again early in the 3rd to regain the 2 goal lead.

So after the "fight", we were outscored 2-0 over the next 23 minutes. I fail to see how it had any bearing whatsoever on the game.

GAG, I didn't say the tide changed. I said the teams confidence and swagger came back. The first two against the Isles it was clear they were running us out of our building and we were not responding. The Isles just looked bigger and tougher up and down the line-up. That's the way I saw it anyways.

I think Glass gets too much blame for ****. I will trust AV over the entire HF Boards.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I was the first person to post after the 1st goal and say how terrible that was. Just a terrible play. He's a human and made a costly mistake.

The Boychuk goal he needs to be saved as well, BUT.......

Just because it was an unscreened shot from the blue line, does not mean it was an easy save by any means.

This is where the ignorance/inexperience of certain fans shows. Boychuk's shot is on par with the Weber's, of the league.

That was an absolute bomb that was in the net a quarter of a second after it left his stick. You have a fraction of a section to even react to a shot of that velocity. It's HEAVY.

I don't argue with you that he shouldn't have had it, he definitely should have. But i try to give perspective (and credit) to seeing it from the other side.

You have to give credit to Boychuk for getting a running start and stepping into that shot. MANY NHL goalies get beat on shots like that all the time. Watch highlights on NHL tonight daily and you'll see bombs flying by goaltenders every night. These guys are the best in the world, sometimes you just get beat CLEAN.

I'm not saying that Talbot is not an NHL-caliber goaltender. He is. Just to put that out there. He's a good player.

That being said, his third goal scares me more than his first. His first was just a **** up. It is what it is. He has been beat a LOT by goals just like the third one, though. Clean without a screen. He needs to be able to stop those if he wants to be a starter.

If the Boychuk goal was a one-time thing, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. If I put myself in his shoes, I'd probably let my guard down just a tiny bit because I thought that puck was clearing the zone, and like you said, the quarter of a second after his guard was let down the puck was in the net.

I'm concerned because this isn't the first time we've seen this from him.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
GAG, I didn't say the tide changed. I said the teams confidence and swagger came back. The first two against the Isles it was clear they were running us out of our building and we were not responding. The Isles just looked bigger and tougher up and down the line-up. That's the way I saw it anyways.

I think Glass gets too much blame for ****. I will trust AV over the entire HF Boards.

His stats are historically bad. He is far and away the least effective play in the entire league by any measurement.

It's not an issue of trusting the boards, it's looking at objective data that states that there isn't a forward worse than him in terms of scoring goals or preventing the other team from scoring goals.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

I'd argue he doesn't get enough blame

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
FFS people, it's like you've forgotten that more than one thing can be true at time.

Talbot could have played better.
The Rangers D could have played better.

In other words, laying "blame" here is kinda silly. All parties are equally to blame, but they also did enough to win the game. So why the meaningless debate? Talbot isn't our permanent goaltender and the Rangers D will get better.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
I'm not saying that Talbot is not an NHL-caliber goaltender. He is. Just to put that out there. He's a good player.

That being said, his third goal scares me more than his first. His first was just a **** up. It is what it is. He has been beat a LOT by goals just like the third one, though. Clean without a screen. He needs to be able to stop those if he wants to be a starter.

Did u see some of the saves he made? In fact a lot of them. Not many goalies in the nhl can make them.

I've seen Marty make some or Hasek. Of course Talbot is not them, but still pretty good for a guy who just started the season.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Did u see some of the saves he made? In fact a lot of them. Not many goalies in the nhl can make them.

I've seen Marty make some or Hasek. Of course Talbot is not them, but still pretty good for a guy who just started the season.

First of all, I think this is extreme hyperbole, but I'll bite. Lets say he makes a ton of saves per game that is elite-level.

If he still lets up goals that he shouldn't, those elite saves don't matter. Give me a player that makes the easy saves look easy and doesn't make many miraculous saves over the other way around.

Eye test for me shows a nervous goalie that has had mediocre positioning, is too jumpy back there, and has had very bad rebound control. Since Hank took over, he has looked like he has been fighting off shots instead of being comfortable back there. A lot of that probably has to do with the pressure of being the starting goaltender on a Stanley Cup Contender replacing a hall of famer. Do not fault him for this one bit.

Again, though, I'll reemphasize that I think Talbot is a good hockey player. I am not saying that this is his peak, or that he'll never be a starter, or even that this is what we're always going to see from him even going forward in the next few weeks. All I'm saying is that since Hank went down, he's played poorly, and I really don't think that's an unfair assessment to make.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
First of all, I think this is extreme hyperbole, but I'll bite. Lets say he makes a ton of saves per game that is elite-level.

If he still lets up goals that he shouldn't, those elite saves don't matter. Give me a player that makes the easy saves look easy and doesn't make many miraculous saves over the other way around.

Eye test for me shows a nervous goalie that has had mediocre positioning, is too jumpy back there, and has had very bad rebound control. Since Hank took over, he has looked like he has been fighting off shots instead of being comfortable back there. A lot of that probably has to do with the pressure of being the starting goaltender on a Stanley Cup Contender replacing a hall of famer. Do not fault him for this one bit.

Again, though, I'll reemphasize that I think Talbot is a good hockey player. I am not saying that this is his peak, or that he'll never be a starter, or even that this is what we're always going to see from him even going forward in the next few weeks. All I'm saying is that since Hank went down, he's played poorly, and I really don't think that's an unfair assessment to make.
But of course you will sing completely the opposite song when Hank will be in net with the same poor D coverage and tons of goals against because of the D. Just wait.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
But of course you will sing completely the opposite song when Hank will be in net with the same poor D coverage and tons of goals against because of the D. Just wait.

Actually, if you search through my post history, you'll find that when Hank plays poorly, I criticize him. That only happens rarely, though, which is why he's the best of all time.**

I praise players when they do well and criticize them when they struggle. Such is sports.

EDIT: **In the Rangers' history.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York

The guy has been lit up since Henrik went down. A lot of Talbot supporters have been waiting for this chance to show he's worth more than our 8.5 million dollar goalie. All this has done is reinforce how lucky we are to have Lundqvist.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Anyone have MSG highlights of the game? I'd like to hear Sam's calls. NHL.com just has the NHLN highlights which is Howie.

Gotta say, though, I actually enjoy hearing Howie call the goals because I know that deep down inside he's happy about it. :laugh:

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
The guy has been lit up since Henrik went down. A lot of Talbot supporters have been waiting for this chance to show he's worth more than our 8.5 million dollar goalie. All this has done is reinforce how lucky we are to have Lundqvist.

If anything it shows that we can play without Hank and without D against the best.
4 straight wins and people are still unhappy. Amazing...

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
If anything it shows that we can play without Hank and without D against the best.

We are scoring four goals a game. That's not sustainable. People here are happy that we have won but why can't we criticize Talbot for playing poorly. That's what he's done since he took over.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Guaranteed at least .910 for Talbot as a starter on the NYR. I would bet good money on that.

And I'm not arguing your math but your opinions following the math. Lundqvist had a great career for us and I appreciate it but that contract Sather gave him was a big mistake IMO. I would have let him walk and signed Talbot to a 3 year contract and when the time came for him to get greedy I would let him walk and sign the next young up and coming goaltender for cheap.
Holy **** LOL

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York

He's the only minus player (a mind boggling -15) on the team. He deserves all the **** he gets.

CuJoBin

Apr 4, 2013
pooldeluxe.co
tumblr_njxcvgPNQE1u95b5wo1_r1_1280.jpg

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

If the Boychuk goal was a one-time thing, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. If I put myself in his shoes, I'd probably let my guard down just a tiny bit because I thought that puck was clearing the zone, and like you said, the quarter of a second after his guard was let down the puck was in the net.

I'm concerned because this isn't the first time we've seen this from him.

I don't care what anyone says about that goal, it was total horsecrap. I can forgive the flubbed pass, but giving up a goal off an unfettered slap shot from the blueline with a clear line of sight, that's nonsense. It was horrible and I don't need to be a goalie to say it was awful.

That said he isn't a starter, he needs to clean things up and he very much could be. The difference between a starter and a back up many times is the two or three times plus a game he has a brain fart.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

All they have to do is score 4 or more goals a game, every game and they have a chance!

Seriously though, there are a handful of NHL goalies that couldn't win these games with the goal support Cam has gotten. He's served as a sub for Hank admirably, and I still maintain that he's the top tier of backups, but there is no way that this stretch illustrates that the team can get by without Hank for any significant part of a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad