New York City Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
For Christmas my wife got us a hotel in NY for 2 night from Friday Feb 17th, and going home on Sunday the 19th. My son will be 3 years old, so this is long awaited...

I live in SE Pennsylvania, so I have been to NY over a dozen times to see shows and the Rangers. I have seen all the touristy stuff plenty of times. We'll be staying near Time Square, but I hope to spend a good amount of time in Chinatown as we both love Asian food. We already have a Dim Sum, Vietnamese, Thai, and Korean BBQ restaurants picked out. I also love architecture, so we plan to spend a majority of our time just walking around. My first question is which streets should we walk to and from Chinatown? I imagine some streets have better sites than others.

In previous trips where we walked around NY, we came across parks that had some small stores/booths set up. Any outdoor shopping areas that will be up and running at this time?

My wife and I are also fans of stand up comedy. It seems many of the Comedy Clubs haven't released their schedules for February. I've always wanted to visit the Comedy Cellar and Carolines. It seems most Comedy Clubs don't have their February Schedules released. Joel McHale(who I love), will be at Carolines, but I am a bit hesitant seeing Actors turn Comedians. Any advice on this front? Should I just reserve a specific time slot at the Cellar and hope for good sets? Are there times that are better than others?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I like the Cellar. It is a classic, intimate comedy club experience. The sets are usually good, and occasionally a legend will pop in unannounced to work out new material. Plus the bars and restaurants near the Cellar are all fantastic. Cafe Espanol, where my parents had their first NYC date, is an institution down there. Also fun to peruse are--oddly enough--the myriad of chess shops.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
My first question is which streets should we walk to and from Chinatown? I imagine some streets have better sites than others.

My wife and I like to go to Golden Unicorn for Dim Sum located on E. Broadway and Catherine St. After Dim Sum, we like to walk towards Bowery to Doyers Street, left on Pell, right on Mott, up to Canal Street, then left on Canal then right on to Mulberry Street into Little Italy. You can continue all the way up to SOHO. Here it is mapped out in Google Maps.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
We'll be staying near Time Square, but I hope to spend a good amount of time in Chinatown as we both love Asian food. We already have a Dim Sum, Vietnamese, Thai, and Korean BBQ restaurants picked out. I also love architecture, so we plan to spend a majority of our time just walking around. My first question is which streets should we walk to and from Chinatown? I imagine some streets have better sites than others.

If you have time, I'd seriously recommend going to Flushing in Queens. It's NYC's most authentic Chinatown. This article is a good starting point for your research: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/...estaurants-flushing-queens-chinatown-nyc.html

It's easy to get to from Times Square (just take the 7 train), and makes for a great day trip.

EDIT: Also, this article is super helpful, but some places have closed so make sure to do your research ahead of time: http://ny.eater.com/maps/where-to-eat-in-flushings-chinatown

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I like the Cellar. It is a classic, intimate comedy club experience. The sets are usually good, and occasionally a legend will pop in unannounced to work out new material. Plus the bars and restaurants near the Cellar are all fantastic. Cafe Espanol, where my parents had their first NYC date, is an institution down there. Also fun to peruse are--oddly enough--the myriad of chess shops.

Speak of the devil:

http://gothamist.com/2017/01/12/comedy_cellar_rock_schumer_chappelle_ansari.php

Last night Chris Rock worked out some material for his upcoming "Total Blackout" tour—his first tour in nine years—which kicks off on Valentine's Day. Rock took the stage at the Comedy Cellar on Macdougal Street, where he followed Jerry Seinfeld, and was then joined on stage by Amy Schumer, Aziz Ansari, and Dave Chappelle.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The main entrance to MSG look so little and tiny with Google earth. All use the underground train subway? :)

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
The main entrance to MSG look so little and tiny with Google earth. All use the underground train subway? :)
The main entrance can get a little crowded during ingress and egress. No worse than the other local arenas. What does suck are the staircases within MSG. They are not built to modern fire code, so after the game it takes a while to descend from the arena to the main entrance located on 7th and 32nd, or the two exits located on 8th Ave on 31st and 33rd street. If you look at the staircases at Barclays or Prudential Center which were built in the last decade they are super wide and allow for faster exit from the arena.

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I will be visiting your city from April 6th to April 11th. This will be my first trip to the city and her third. The trip is for her and I will be tagging along to do what she wants mostly, but I am getting one day to do all the things that I want to do. Aside from the Rangers game hopefully on April 9th, where else should I go in your massive city?

Things I enjoy are pizza, beer, hockey/sporting events, Cold War history, and music. Any suggestions/directions will be greatly appreciated. We are currently looking at Air BnB for accommodations, deciding on a place between Harlem and the East Village.

Thanks a bunch.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Just an FYI, Jack Doyles (36th or 37th) between 7th and 8th gets a good pre-game crowd. They also have some deal where for each beer you buy (or maybe it is just the first beer) you get a raffle ticket. Then, they do a raffle for a pair of tickets for the next home game. I know winning is a longshot, but if you needed a little incentive to go to one place vs another, here is one.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
What are the cheaper areas of Brooklyn to live in?

The ones that aren't as built up, safe, or convenient to Manhattan.

More expensive: Brooklyn Heights, Clinton Hill, Downtown Brooklyn, DUMBO, Fort Greene, Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, Gowanus, Park Slope, Red Hook, Ditmas Park, Williamsburg, Greenpoint

Less expensive: All others

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
The ones that aren't as built up, safe, or convenient to Manhattan.

More expensive: Brooklyn Heights, Clinton Hill, Downtown Brooklyn, DUMBO, Fort Greene, Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, Gowanus, Park Slope, Red Hook, Ditmas Park, Williamsburg, Greenpoint

Less expensive: All others

Second this, anywhere remotely gentrifying is not cheap. The more south you go, the more affordable.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights are still expensive. Not as expensive as Brooklyn Heights or DUMBO, but still ridiculous.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I will be visiting your city from April 6th to April 11th. This will be my first trip to the city and her third. The trip is for her and I will be tagging along to do what she wants mostly, but I am getting one day to do all the things that I want to do. Aside from the Rangers game hopefully on April 9th, where else should I go in your massive city?

Things I enjoy are pizza, beer, hockey/sporting events, Cold War history, and music. Any suggestions/directions will be greatly appreciated. We are currently looking at Air BnB for accommodations, deciding on a place between Harlem and the East Village.

Thanks a bunch.

It depends on if you're looking to do the pizza/beer/sporting events all together or if you're actually looking for great food. Assuming you're staying in the city and you're really looking for top flight pizza then I always suggest that people should get to John's on Bleecker Street at least once. I'm also a giant fan of Patsy's in Harlem but I understand that's pretty far out of the way just for pizza (DO NOT GO TO THE OTHER PATSY'S LOCATIONS).

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Pricing is nuts. How neighborhoods change. Bensonhurst is pretty safe IMO and has easy access to the other boroughs.

only problem with down here is how long it takes to get to those other boroughs. you're looking at 45 min to an hour to Manhattan, Queens or Staten by public transportation. even longer to get to the Bronx.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Wife and I are looking at Brooklyn and Queens for when her CU faculty housing allotment runs out. There are good deals to be found in Harlem and above. But otherwise, it looks like Brooklyn or Queens for us. Even there, the pickings are slim unless you can comfortably afford $2500+ a month or have a car.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Wife and I are looking at Brooklyn and Queens for when her CU faculty housing allotment runs out. There are good deals to be found in Harlem and above. But otherwise, it looks like Brooklyn or Queens for us. Even there, the pickings are slim unless you can comfortably afford $2500+ a month or have a car.
How many bedrooms are running you $2500 a month?

superyan

Aug 13, 2013

I would rather be in Harlem than Queens or lower Brooklyn.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Where do you work? She works at Columbia on the main campus? You can also check out Westchester. Probably a little cheaper and nicer than Brooklyn and Queens. Metro North can get you to the city. My mother-in-law and brother-in-law live in Pelham, which is the first town north of the Bronx. When he goes to the city, sometimes he takes Metro North, and sometimes he drives into the bronx to a subway station.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
only problem with down here is how long it takes to get to those other boroughs. you're looking at 45 min to an hour to Manhattan, Queens or Staten by public transportation. even longer to get to the Bronx.

I feel that. Luckily for me I'm situated near the D train so once I get out of 36th street and Atlantic over the bridge it's express through Manhattan. West 4th to Herald Sq is a good quick ride. Any local service starting from Coney Island and Bay Ridge is so long though. I feel like it takes forever to get to the Bronx sometimes. I almost never end up in Queens but usually that takes longer than the Bronx for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad