New Waiver Process

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
With our waiver rules changing I wanted to share a brief rundown of how they will work as it relates to FA and leading into next season. As a reminder, here's the change announced...

1. All players aged 25+ (so 25 and older) will be subject to waivers should they be sent down to the minors (regardless of salary or number of HFNHL games played), EXCEPT those recently signed UDFA's without ratings. The recently signed UDFA's who are 25+, will be given a one year exemption from waivers (so that they may accumulate ratings before having to be exposed to waivers). Players with salaries $2 million and over will still make full salary in the minors (with $1,999,999) remaining the cutoff there (so no change in that regard).

I don't have exact dates that all of this will play out on just yet but will update them as we get closer. For now, here's a quick rundown of how waivers will impact the offseason.

• Players who are 25+ and signed in FA will be subject to waivers if sent to the farm. UDFA signed in the current summer will be exempt and automatically placed in the farm.
  • At some point prior to preseason beginning all existing players (excluding the current years UDFA) will be called up to the pro roster.
  • By the end of preseason and before the following season starts all rosters must be set and all players aged 25+ will be subject to waivers if sent to the farm. Remember there is a 25 player limit on the pro roster so you can't keep everyone up!
  • The process will repeat each offseason as we simulate our "training camps" and eligible players assigned to the farm are exposed to waivers as they are in the NHL.

These changes will add to the strategy in roster building, hopefully encourage some smarter decisions around FA, prevent longer term stashing of useful players and disperse some of the talent around the league. Everyone will need to be on top of their rosters and keep a close eye on the waiver wire as we head into the preseason.

CoyotesHFNHL

May 30, 2010
I like the change. One thing I would suggest, is any player on an ELC automatically avoids waivers. This would really only apply to players who are 25 activated from the prospects or players who were activated at 23 under a 2 year ELC. Just something to throw out there.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I like the change. One thing I would suggest, is any player on an ELC automatically avoids waivers. This would really only apply to players who are 25 activated from the prospects or players who were activated at 23 under a 2 year ELC. Just something to throw out there.

If the Sim was capable of managing something like this on its own I would be for it but it's not. And if it's not capable of it that means manual management and that I'm not for. It's too much to keep an eye on. It's kind of an all or nothing thing with most Sim settings like this.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Quick question - what about Europeans who you hold their rights, and they come (or return) to the NHL?

For me, Zaitsev is in North America, so I had to sign him, but he has no ratings, and if he is subject to waivers, that is kind of the same as a UDFA, correct?

Let me know how this is handled and whether he is waiver eligible or not.

Brent Burns Beard