[NEW]USHL 2023-2024 Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Catching up with the new season run-up ...
--------------------------------------------------

From: The United States Hockey League > News > Top Stories
USHL Announces 2023-24 Schedule

6/7/2023 9:04:39 AM

The United States Hockey League (USHL), in conjunction with Member Clubs, has announced its schedule for the 2023-34 season.

The season will consist of 62 games for each team in a cross-conference schedule, returning to the same format last used in the 2019-20 season. Preseason matchups for the upcoming season will be released at a later date.

The 29-week regular season is scheduled to begin in September and comes to a close on Saturday, April 13, 2024. ...

The USHL returns to Cranberry Township, Pa., for the DICK’S Sporting Goods Fall Classic in marking the seventh season that will begin with all 16 Member Clubs under one roof for the first two games of each Club’s season. Dates and matchups for the five-day event, hosted in partnership with the Pittsburgh Penguins, will be announced in July. ...

This year’s schedule is available HERE.

Read more at: USHL Announces 2023-24 Schedule

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Men's Ice Hockey 6/15/2023 3:00:00 PM

Glenn Hefferan Named USHL President and Commissioner

The United States Hockey League (USHL) announced Thursday that Glenn Hefferan has beenselected as its 11th President and Commissioner.

Hefferan was approved Thursday afternoon by the USHL Board of Directors to take over the role on July 1. ...

Hefferan will succeed Bill Robertson, who has served in the USHL President and Commissioner role the past two years. Robertson informed the league during the 2022-2023 season that he would not seek renewal of his employment contract in order to pursue sports and entertainment consulting opportunities. ...

Hefferan brings an extensive background as a volunteer, board and committee member with USA Hockey as well as running/directing youth and junior hockey clubs and leagues. He currently serves as President of the Atlantic Amateur Hockey Association, the USA Hockey Affiliate for New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania, and Delaware, having been re-elected three times since his initial election in 2015.

Hefferan was elected to the USA Hockey Executive Committee in June of 2021 and currently serves on the Finance and Investment Committee, Governance Committee and Strategic Planning Committee. ...

Read more at:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Men's Ice Hockey 7/19/2023 1:50:54 PM

DICK’S Sporting Goods USHL Fall Classic Set for September​

The DICK'S Sporting Goods USHL Fall Classic, featuring the best young hockey players in the United States, will return for the eighth consecutive season to the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex in Cranberry Township, Pa., it was announced today by the United States Hockey League and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Scheduled for September 20-25, the Fall Classic is expected to draw more than 400 scouts from the National Hockey League and college and junior teams to the region.

All 16 USHL teams will play two regular season games apiece during the five-day event with a pair of marquee games kicking things off Wednesday night when Youngstown, the 2023 Clark Cup Champions, play Tri-City and Sioux Falls squares-off against Cedar Rapids. In addition, there will be an elite invitational youth tournament held simultaneously at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex and other local rinks. ...

USHL Fall Classic 2023 Schedule.png

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
General 8/25/2023 11:27:21 AM

Tickets Go On Sale for 2023 DICK’s Sporting Goods USHL Fall Classic​

Tickets for the DICK’S Sporting Goods USHL Fall Classic are on sale now, it was announced today by the USHL and Pittsburgh Penguins. The Fall Classic will be held at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex in Cranberry Township, Pa., from September 20-25.

Expected to draw more than 400 scouts from the National Hockey League and college and junior teams to the region, this is the eighth time the Fall Classic has taken place at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex.

Tickets are required for all USHL and youth games throughout the Fall Classic. The presale ends at midnight on September 17, and all other tickets may be purchased at the event. Tickets may be purchased here. ,,,

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
With S/T to @Dakota Sioux, here are 16 USHL team previews for the 2023-24 season which begins next Wednesday (20 September) @ the Fall Classic. Ryan Sikes of the USHL Prospecting website provides his perspectives ...

• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Youngstown Phantoms (defending champs)
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Chicago Steel
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Des Moines Buccaneers
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Dubuque Fighting Saints
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Fargo Force
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Green Bay Gamblers
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Lincoln Stars
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Madison Capitols
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Omaha Lancers
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Muskegon Lumberjacks
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Sioux City Musketeers
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Sioux Falls Stampede
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Tri-City Storm
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: Waterloo Black Hawks
• USHL 2023-24 Preview: USA Hockey NTDP

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The 2023 Fall Classic begins this evening @ UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex outside Pittsburgh, kicking off the USHL season. I'm looking forward to butt-in-the-stands reports from @NTDP as well as from any other HFB-ites who are attending the event. :popcorn:

ETA: OR anyone with a FloHockey.tv subscription.

Last edited:
Reactions: NTDP

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... ETA: OR anyone with a FloHockey.tv subscription.
Just another sign of old age ... I plumb fergitted that my annual FloHockey.tv subscription runs through next Saturday. Guess I'll be able to watch a few USHL (and other league) games in the coming week after all. If'n I can git to my chair & sit down ... :wally:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Fall Classic 2023 is in the books, opening the USHL season. Here are summaries of daily play ...

From The Rink Live | Storm and Stampede Open 2023 USHL Fall Classic With Wins

Day Two Recap (USHL.com) | 2023 DICK'S Sporting Goods USHL Fall Classic

Day Three Recap (USHL.com) | 2023 DICK'S Sporting Goods USHL Fall Classic

Day Four Recap (USHL.com) | 2023 DICK'S Sporting Goods USHL Fall Classic

Day 5 Recap (USHL.com) | 2023 DICK'S Sporting Goods USHL Fall Classic

And the early season standings posted by LeagueStat, as the teams return to home (and away) ices.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Taking in the USHL Fall Classic never disappoints. Don't have my notes in front of me as I'm at work but off the top of my head here's some kids that stood out. Here you go @JMCx4

Youngstown Phantoms
34 D Sascha Boumedienne (07) (2024 Draft) - This kid in two games showed maturity beyond his years and you see why he was tendered by Youngstown out of the Ohio AAA Blue Jackets program. His father Josef, is the director of pro scouting for the Blue Jackets in the NHL. He really didn't get beat in two games and hit on his outlet feeds. Was also a play where he gathered a loose puck going into his own zone, took a look over his shoulder and faked a backhand D to D and pivoted away from pressure to get the puck going north. Also has a blast of a shot showing it on his 1-timer goal late vs Tri-City, and let a few more go towards the net. He was used on the top PP unit and I expect this kid's stock will rise as the season goes along.
27 D Andrew Strathmann (05) (CBJ Draft Pick) - He was good here. Make the right plays and good in transition. Moves the puck in the O zone as well. Did have a couple turnovers but is the top D man on their core.
Tri-City Storm
16 Trevor Connelly (06) (2024 Draft) - He's becoming a known commodity and I saw him live at the Select 17 camp in Amherst this summer (made a post about that in the prospects thread here). He makes plays all over the offensive zone and is a dual shot/pass threat while playing with speed. He curls around at the top of the point to receive a pass from the D and comes in with a quick release, when he gets it blocked he can gather the puck back and spin out to see more options or go at the net again. He did cause a turnover that went the other way vs Youngstown but busted back to make the D play preventing a shot while not taking a penalty.
Dubuque Fighting Saints
13 Michael Barron (06) (2024 Draft) - He's intriguing to me. I first saw him play with Victory Honda 15-O here in Cleveland vs the Barons two years ago. He was good but not great, showed good passing ability. Here you see how he's still undersized but gets around the ice well and can make plays. So much so he was instrumental in scoring one of the late goals vs NTDP on Saturday 1-timing the puck in off a pretty 3-way passing play.
4 Seamus Powell (04) - Early vs NTDP he make a quick fake at his own line causing a kid to fall over. He gets up the ice well and can quarterback the power play.
Omaha Lancers
11 Ethan Fredericks (04) (2024 Draft) - The late 04 was probably the best player in the game vs Muskegon. Had a play where he came in hard on the forecheck, closed on the D turning with the puck and absolutely creamed him with a solid, legal hit. I can't remember if he scored in that one but he was quick. His best play was early in the 2nd on Sunday vs NTDP he came in over the line and from far out ripped one popping the water bottle. Kid can shoot from distance and was a force.
NTDP
Cole Eiserman - Not much else to say, he isn't perfect and had a few turnovers but man can this kid break through the D and score.
Logan Hensler - This whole group as the U-17 last year I didn't see much of. But he was really good here with solid exits, speed, and can shoot and find ways to get it to the net from the point. He scored the OT winner on a crazy sequence where before they thought they won when the Dubuque goalie took his helmet off mid-breakaway OT because it was loose. They had to come back out and Hensler buried on a good shot.
James Hagens - He was most impressive with his puck protection and spinning out of checks in the corners. Made plays all over the ice and scored the tying goal vs Dubuque.
Cole Hutson - Typical puck mover that we're all familiar with. QB the PP and tough to take the puck from while maintaining the blue line in the O zone.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
USHL Notes Sept. 28, 2023
Dan Hickling
General | 9/28/2023 12:52:13 PM

Weekly Notes in PDF Format

High Five:
Five teams started with 2-0-0-0 records as the 2023-24 season officially kicked off at last week’s DICK’S Sporting Goods USHL Fall Classic in Pittsburgh.

Green Bay, Madison and USA NTDP stand atop the Eastern Conference standings with unblemished records, while Fargo and Tri-City are both unbeaten in ranking atop the Western Conference standings.

The NTDP and Dubuque both scored 13 times in two games in leading the USHL in goals for, while Tri-City limited opponents to two goals to the lead the league in fewest goals allowed. ...

Mad Hatters: There were three hat tricks scored at last week’s DICK’S Sporting Goods USHL Fall Classic. Cade LIttler scored three times in leading Cedar Rapids to a 5-1 win over Youngstown on Wednesday. Muskegon’s Matvei Gridin had three goals and an assist for a four-point game in a 6-2 win over Omaha Saturday. And Cole Eiserman scored three times, all of which came in the second period of a 7-2 win over Omaha Sunday.

This is the End: Five out of the 16 games in Pittsburgh ended in overtime. Scoring overtime game-winning goals at the 2023 DICK’S Sporting Goods USHL Fall Classic were Charlie Major (Chicago 3, Sioux City 2, Sept. 21), August Falloon (Tri-City 2, Sioux Falls 1, Sept 21), Rasmus Larsson (Green Bay 4, Sioux City 3), Logan Hensler (NTDP 6, Dubuque 5, Sept. 23) and Leo Gruba (Fargo 3, Des Moines 2, Sept. 23).

Listing: Cedar Rapids head coach Mark Carlson has racked up 764 career wins behind the RoughRiders bench. Carlson, who began his tenure with Cedar Rapids in 1999-2000, ranks only behind P.K. O’Handley in terms of most coaching wins in the history of the United States Hockey League. O’Handley had 783 victories as the head coach for Waterloo and North Iowa. Entering this weekend, Carlson’s career record stands at 764-558-119.

Storm Ahead: With 349 career wins, Tri-City’s Anthony Noreen ranks 10th on the USHL’s list for career coaching victories. ...

Read more at: USHL Notes Sept. 28, 2023

mrshootthepuck

Jun 30, 2023
I have a question as someone who doesn't know a ton about the USHL, but why do the other teams tolerate having a super team (the national development program) in their league? Wouldn't they prefer to just play each other on an even playing field? Another angle would be that by starving out the program it would free up some talent to join the USHL club teams that would have otherwise gone to the program. What is the benefit for the club teams to get blown out by the national team all season?

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I have a question as someone who doesn't know a ton about the USHL, but why do the other teams tolerate having a super team (the national development program) in their league? Wouldn't they prefer to just play each other on an even playing field? Another angle would be that by starving out the program it would free up some talent to join the USHL club teams that would have otherwise gone to the program. What is the benefit for the club teams to get blown out by the national team all season?
The USNTDP has been a regular participant in the United States Hockey League schedule since the 2009-10 season, with the U-17 & U-18 teams sharing the games against USHL opponents (U-17 getting more League games than U-18). The primary benefit to the USHL is showcasing top U.S. juniors talent under the League brand, with a secondary advantage of having a 16th team to balance the schedule. As for your presumption that "the club teams ... get blown out by the national team all season", the yearly USHL standings have not supported that scenario every season - refer to the HockeyDB standings records starting in '09-'10.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
As @JMCx4 stated, the NTDP has not traditionally dominated the USHL. More seasons than not, they fail to even qualify for the playoffs, and in those seasons that they do qualify the U17 team represents "Team USA" in the postseason (the U18 team plays in the IIHF U18 World Championship). They have only won a playoff series once, I believe. The U17 squad plays more league games than the U18 team, which plays about half its schedule versus NCAA opponents. The U17 team usually struggles early in the season, as it's the first time these players have faced much older players. It's an adjustment period.

FYI, I have been a NTDP season ticket holder since the program relocated here to Plymouth from nearby Ann Arbor.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Equal time for the Tier I boys ...

USHL Standings.jpg

Eastern Conference Thoughts: DBQ & defending champs YNG each putting up impressive numbers, but Green Bay is keeping pace so far. At the bottom, the always powerful Steel must've missed their opening puck drop ... several times ... :eek2:

Western Conference Thoughts: Fargo is no surprise, and Sioux City has clearly improved since I saw them play Game #1 of this season. On the opposite end, Nebraska hockey needs :help:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Must-see play from the USHL last weekend in Geneva: Madison Capitol's forward Austin Burnevik leaves the penalty box, gets a breakaway feed, and .................

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
A look at the USHL standings as the New Year's pause has arrived ...

USHL Eastern Conference Standings (1 Jan 2024).jpg

USHL Western Conference Standings (1 Jan 2024).jpg

Quick Notes:
(1) No particular surprises in the upper tier of the Eastern Conference. Chicago sitting at the bottom with 20 points makes me wonder if the new Blackhawks' ownership is now haunting that team. :blackcat:
(2) Out West, Fargo's dominance has spilled into a second season. Sioux Falls has jumped into competitiveness after several seasons of playing in the muck. :cheer:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
can someone give me some information about Leo Gruba? He's having a great season. Playing at the Univ. of Minnesota next season.

why hasn't he been drafted?
I'm no scout (armchair nor otherwise), just a hockey fan with internet search skills. But this July 2022 article from The Rink Live hints at Gruba's shortfalls in readiness for the NHL draft when ranked #125 among North American skaters during his early juniors years.

There was another profile piece from TRL as Gruba was helping USHL Fargo's hot start this season. Includes discussion of his decision to decommit from St. Cloud State & commit to Minnesota. Seems to me that once he was passed over in the entry draft, he refocused on a juniors-to-college path with a higher profile & higher % probability of a national championship that could get him noticed again for NHL recruitment. I reckon he has a lot of company among other former mid-range ranked amateur players with lingering dreams of NHL success.

Reactions: Johnny Danger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad