New to Baseball (Questions, etc)

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Second or Shortstop would be good for you. Usually first and third basemern need to be tall, as they would have a better chance at catching high lineouts or filelding high or off the mark throws (especially firstbase men.) As I mentioned in the Houston thread, Jose Altuve is an excellent second baseman. He's a great fielder, and he is only 5 '5.

I guess for catchers the size is not relevant? And outfield? Isn't it more about being at the right spot at the right time?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I guess for catchers the size is not relevant? And outfield? Isn't it more about being at the right spot at the right time?

Though there have been some short catchers, they generally need to be big (not necessarily tall, but bulky), as size helps block balls in the dirt. If you are short and skinny, it's probably not a good position for you. Size has no influence on outfield, I just think infield is way more fun. (more action) :)

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Though there have been some short catchers, they generally need to be big (not necessarily tall, but bulky), as size helps block balls in the dirt. If you are short and skinny, it's probably not a good position for you. Size has no influence on outfield, I just think infield is way more fun. (more action) :)

Well yeah. From what I have seen there are some rather big catchers like Ray's Molina or just tall ones like Orioles' Wieters. But there are also some guys like Kurt Suzuki who are rather "average" regarding size and weight. I guess in the end you have to be able to react very fast. :)

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Catcher is a very taxing position. Dont know how some players do it their entire career.

CF you need to have good range for tracking down balls. Your corner outfielders should have at least decent mobility, but that is not always the case. The RF should have a very strong arm.

Reactions: triggrman

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Second base. SS and 3b need strong arms and good range.

Also should be right handed. Don't think a lefty plays any of those positions in the big leagues. It's easier to throw right handed. Leftys have to turn their whole bodies

BPR*

I've always been a big fan of spreadsheets so I was looking for a sport I could follow entirely via Microsoft Excel without ever being bothered to watch an actual game. I heard about sabermetrics and realized baseball was perfect for me.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
My Grandfather would always be watching the Blue Jays games when I went over and eventually I ended up playing baseball and discovered sabremetrics and all that fun stuff.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Because I eventually found it to be the most entertaining summer sport to play.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Family and access to playing it as a kid. It was the sport I was first thrown into playing and I was raised hearing legendary stories about the exploits of my grandfather...I'm sure 70% of them were pure garbage, but some I got verified by third parties...local sandlot legend and ringer for company baseball teams, was offered a contract by the Pirates in 1927 but declined it because his mother didn't want him traveling around because it's "not safe" (ughhhhhhhh), was coached by and then befriended Honus Wagner, and then ultimately died from lung cancer from spending a lifetime doing odd jobs in steel mills...good call, great-grandma!

I was a mini baseball historian as a kid, way more into the old timey stuff than the modern game, which was probably a good thing considering my first baseball memories are from 1993.

Is it any real surprise that my favorite Simpsons episode is 'Homer at the Bat'?

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I loved listening to Hank Greenwald on the Radio call the Giants games. It was something worth listening to when I was out in the yard pulling weeds or doing other chores. I would watch the games too, but I don't really remember much of the Giants before 1997, when they won the west and Jon Miller joined the broadcast crew.

I also followed the A's for kind of the same reason, I loved listening to Bill King on the Radio. I'm more of a Giants fan than A's fan, but I follow both teams.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I loved listening to Hank Greenwald on the Radio call the Giants games. It was something worth listening to when I was out in the yard pulling weeds or doing other chores. I would watch the games too, but I don't really remember much of the Giants before 1997, when they won the west and Jon Miller joined the broadcast crew.

I also followed the A's for kind of the same reason, I loved listening to Bill King on the Radio. I'm more of a Giants fan than A's fan, but I follow both teams.
I remember when they were sold and almost moved, before the MLB voted it down. I was happy they got to stay, but with the way their current owner is being, I wish they would have moved to Florida.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
My dad signed me and my older brother up for t-ball right after we moved so that's kind of how I picked it up.

Still remember one of the assistant coaches wearing overalls while coaching.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Grew up playing baseball. Baseball is pretty much a way of life in St. Louis. Football rules most major American cities, but it's not even close in St. Louis. The Cards are always number one. Parents both love baseball, and so did all of my friends growing up. I was far more successful in bowling and golf, but baseball will always be my favorite sport.

Sep 19, 2008

Kruk_Kuip.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad