New standard and play around the net

HockeyDad88

Sep 24, 2006
My son is a winger for a Bantam team in Florida (yes we play ice hockey in Florida -- go Lightning). Well today was his first exposure to the new rules. Most of the two games were three on three with full penalty boxes. It got really confusing with 4 kids in each penalty box. It seemed everytime a kid went to the ice it was a penalty. Needless to say the kids thought it sucked (the parents did too).

My question is concerning play in front of the net. My son likes to screen in front of the net and put back in the rebounds. He got sent to the box three times for interference while jockeying for position in front of the net. What's the new rules say about this? Can you hold your position, or do you have to let the defender push you out the way. Each penalty played out the same. The defender would start pushing the wing from in front of the net, the wing would resist and try to hold his position. Eventually, it was a penalty against whoever looked to have the upper hand in the battle. So what's the new "standards" say? Can a winger plant himself in front of the net or not? Does he have to give way to a defended that wants to move him?

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
From my understanding of the rules, the attacker is entitled to place himself in front of the net, as you stated. Since I did not see the plays in question, it appears that they were called as they should, the player doing the interference went to the box, in this case, the player with the upper hand. You have to consider that the refs may not always see the event as it unfolds, only as a snapshot. If they happen to see the attacker pushing the defensemen away from the puck, then he is guilty at that point of interference. It's always easier to call the game from the stands than out on the ice.

Puckboy

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
From what i have seen so far if you are in front of the net and lower your shoulder to hit someone, even if you are not moving your feet and the other player is coming into you you will stil get called. I guess they want you to just get run over and let the other guy get the penalty

HockeyDad88

Sep 24, 2006
From what i have seen so far if you are in front of the net and lower your shoulder to hit someone, even if you are not moving your feet and the other player is coming into you you will stil get called. I guess they want you to just get run over and let the other guy get the penalty

That's what my son concluded. He found the quotes on USA Hockey about the new rules being good for girls playing youth hockey with the boys. So he says "great, if you'er a weak defender and get pushed over, you draw the penalty -- it'a a girly sport now".

His coach today at practice said to just keep moving/circling/slipping but do not dig in. If you dig in and win the position battle, it's 2.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
They're calling it the same for girls too.

I got two interference penalties last night for jocking for position in front of the net. Though I was one of the few who didn't end up in the box for hooking. I tend to keep my stick down Im just a pain in the rear in front of the net.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Tell your son to just get in front of the defenseman in front of the net now on. Thats what the defense is suppose to do, pushing them away from the net is interference. He can also lift the offesemans stick if the puck is there or right before the puck gets there.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Tell your son to just get in front of the defenseman in front of the net now on. Thats what the defense is suppose to do, pushing them away from the net is interference. He can also lift the offesemans stick if the puck is there or right before the puck gets there.

Right.

Tell your son to just hold his ground. If the defenseman tries to push him from his position that is interference. I imagine that your son began to push back, which would then be interference as well. Let the defenceman push you, he'll end up in the box.

You can stand wherever you want now as long as you don't have the puck. The new rules benifit fast skilled players, but also big forwards who operate around the net. You can actually use your size and stregnth now when you have the puck and not have to worry about two guys tackleing you.

Great physical play was my forte on defense!
And it still should be. You just arn't allowed to interfere with people anymore. No one said you can't hit. My team has played a game under these rules and there was plenty of physical play, just not interference and hooking.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Your son is dooing a great job gooing to the net.

Though while its not the answear to your question, exactly, I would also advice your son to move allot around the crease. Holmström is Holmström, I don't think its best for a kid to go his route.

When the puck is at the sideboards, or behind the net, he should back away some and try to get open, that way he will draw some attention from two players. Then when the puck is passed back to the D's for a shot he should plant himself infront of the net. That way he will draw much more penaltys, and score more goals.

mooseOAK*

I played in an Adult Hockey Tournament this weekend and the referees were calling the new rules on guys who have been playing for 40 years in some cases. Our team got hit pretty bad by the calls but I didn't take any.

Lots of *****ing and complaining, just like the NHL!

State_Of_Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
HockeyDad:
I am a ref in Minnesota, as such I will likely be calling the game different from a ref in Florida. That is not to say that we play hockey differently or better than Florida rather my point is I will call the game different. I will call the game different from my partner as well...Something that he/she calls will be something that I may not call. As you stated these are new standards of play, not new rules. Our job as officials is to manage the game the way our boses direct, which happens to be tighter. I do not look forward to this season for the very issues that you identified, frustration. The more aware parents, coaches and players are of these new standards the more enjoyable the game will be. Players, coaches, parents and refs of yesterday have a lot of work to accomplish in order for us to do our jobs which is to develope tomorrow's players.

To say the new rules are for girls is completly off the mark. Look at the effect the rule changes have had at the upper levels. If the players don't learn the game the way it will be when they get their opportunity, they won't be making it. To say, let the players dictate the outcome of the game by allowing them interference, clutching and grabbing is letting the players that are less skilled dictate the outcome of the game. If we are to let the players dictate the outcome of the game that we should let the players that are more skilled do what they have tranined so hard to do.

The new standard of play in my mind is; the players that are stronger and more skilled earn the right to maintain their positions in the slot. The emphasis in the new standard of play is strength, speed, and skill. When I see players battling for position in front of the net, I will let it go as long as there is no holding, or pushing off to gain a favorable position once the puch enters the slot. obviously I will not allow roughing and other penalties. As far a coaching players, I agree with the other post, create enough chaois in front of the net to require 2 player coverage. If you are D, you should be a ghost and only engage as needed, don't let the other player know where you are.

That's it...

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
I've played 2 exhibitions and have my first regular season game tomorrow night..

During the 2 exhibition games we've figured out that if somebody falls down, it's a penalty. If a stick's in the air, it's a penalty. In front of the net is just where there's a ridiculous gray area though. They want battles, and very little has been called...

Until someone falls. At which point it's a penalty.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
Our refs just started allowing lifting the stick again after calling it strictky the past 3 weeks. Now its ok to have your stick lifted stright up in the air above your head... cant we find a happy medium and stick to one standard

State_Of_Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Our refs just started allowing lifting the stick again after calling it strictky the past 3 weeks. Now its ok to have your stick lifted stright up in the air above your head... cant we find a happy medium and stick to one standard

If a forward is going to allow the D to lift his/her stick over their head in the slot, why should there be a penalty. The coaches need to teach their forwards not to allow it to happen. I have seen enough games where kids are more interested in battling in front of the net instead of being smart and spinning out and re-positioning themselves. Teaching a kid to try to hold his ground with the D all over his/her stick is teaching his player to loose focus on getting free and in position. In the instance where a kid is constantly lifting sticks over their heads in an effort to stick check will quickly learn not to by a few trips to the penalty box, heck even the coach may wake up. Just by lightening up the grip on your stick will send it flying the next time the D tries to lift it. A stick flying through the air will definetly catch the eye of the most blind official, if they don't see it, he will hear the parents point it out. if a coach is hell bent on teaching his players to hold there ground and keep their stick on the ice will teach them to lean on it. It is pretty difficult to clear out a forward that is strong on their edges and leaning on their stick. If a forward leans on the stick, with their edges firmly in place not even the stongest coach and lift his stick.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Your officials are a joke no offense. Maybe it was just 2 guys though...next week you might get refs who continue to enforce the rules.

Those refs who cant take the "heat" to continue to call the rules how they are suppose to by USA Hockey should quit right now. They are just hurting the other refs who are calling it the way they are suppose to.

In my organization 2 referees have already been asked to resign because they wouldn't call it the way that was required...one of them being a referee for 13 years. They cant be forced to quit...but they will spend there weeks doing plenty of Mite/Atom games until they decide to call it the way USA dictates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad