NEW: Cam Robinson Talks Sharks Prospects: Who Might Be Better Than Smith? His 2024 Draft Favorites?

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
I hate rooting for the Sharks to lose. They are far and away my favorite sports team. Picking 4th for the next 5 years is a sure fire way for us to end up like Buffalo.

Of course I want the players to be happy, unfortunately, we have to lose for the rest of the season to expedite the process.

The Sabres have gotten their fairshares worth of lotto luck though. I mean they were historically bad and went all out for McDavid in 2015, still ended up with Eichel who was a #1 overall caliber player most years.

And then they got what was deemed another generational talent and the 'best since McDavid' a few years later when they won Dahlin.

And then they snagged Owen Power a few years back.

Buffalo is where they are due to pure incompetence and lack of insulation for their young players not because of where they have been selecting in the draft.

The Red Wings seem poised to make the playoffs this year with one of the younger rosters and they weren't granted lotto fortune.

Mo Seider 6th ov
Lucas Raymond 4th ov

Are their two young building blocks along with Larkin who was a mid teens pick and then Veleno, Rasmussen and then they're hoping Edvinsson.

The one thing that I really admire about Yzerman is that they're constantly throwing darts at the board. Feels like Detroit are always taking defenseman in the early second and picking more than average in the first three rounds.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I know this is somewhat of a hot take, but I wouldn't mind if the Sharks put in a claim for Ryan Johansen.

Can't be any worse than Luke f***ing Kunin centering our 2nd line.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I am All for Mike dumping whoever for whatever. No one he’s going to trade is worth really anything to a good team
Grier has proven to be pretty inept when it comes to trade especially when he’s had the advantage. None of the players he has available to trade are must have individuals which means Griers going to have to sell other GM’s hard on his list of spare parts, I wouldn’t be shocked if no one got moved

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Grier has proven to be pretty inept when it comes to trade especially when he’s had the advantage. None of the players he has available to trade are must have individuals which means Griers going to have to sell other GM’s hard on his list of spare parts, I wouldn’t be shocked if no one got moved
I fully agree, I hope he takes what he can get but we know he loves playing hardball for no reason and screwing himself.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
definitely feel like DW did his share of "ok fine... deal, but you owe me" trades with certain franchises... maybe GMMG is still building up that kind of rapport

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I fully agree, I hope he takes what he can get but we know he loves playing hardball for no reason and screwing himself.
Perhaps, but the other way of looking at it is if he can sign Duclair for a two year deal at reasonable money, that's probably infinitely more valuable than a late third in a weak draft.

Reactions: Hodge

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Perhaps, but the other way of looking at it is if he can sign Duclair for a two year deal at reasonable money, that's probably infinitely more valuable than a late third in a weak draft.
I’d agree with this. If Duclair will resign for a reasonable deal IMO that’s much better than a 3rd or 4th rounder. When was the last time the sharks drafted anyone as good as Duclair with a 3rd round pick?

Reactions: Hodge

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I’d agree with this. If Duclair will resign for a reasonable deal IMO that’s much better than a 3rd or 4th rounder. When was the last time the sharks drafted anyone as good as Duclair with a 3rd round pick?
I agree with this too. He’s a very good player, a strong advocate in the community and stands for what he believes in. That is a valuable guy in the locker room.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Yeah I think he knew he blew the Burns and Meir deals then overplayed Karlsson especially if Carolina offered Pesce and Drury like rumored. I think he’ll probably get better over time, but it also seems like GM’s don’t want to work with him and that could just be a respect thing that has to be earned

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Yeah I think he knew he blew the Burns and Meir deals then overplayed Karlsson especially if Carolina offered Pesce and Drury like rumored. I think he’ll probably get better over time, but it also seems like GM’s don’t want to work with him and that could just be a respect thing that has to be earned
Never heard this tidbit; perhaps Carolina didn't offer a pick or wanted more retention.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
No. He needs to let Duclair have a chance to win even if the best offer is only a 7th round pick. The next few years there are going to be opportunities to over pay veterans on a short term deal the flip them to a contender at the deadline. Grier needs to show that he can get these kind of trades done. He can always sign Duclair in the off season if there is mutual interest.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
No. He needs to let Duclair have a chance to win even if the best offer is only a 7th round pick. The next few years there are going to be opportunities to over pay veterans on a short term deal the flip them to a contender at the deadline. Grier needs to show that he can get these kind of trades done. He can always sign Duclair in the off season if there is mutual interest.
Frankly, Grier has done a lot of "favors" for a lot of players and I'm fast realizing being a "players GM" ain't gonna get the job done.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
There are times that it doesn’t make sense to be a “player’s GM” and this isn’t one of them. Getting a draft pick and giving the player a chance to win the cup is a win for everyone.
f*** that. Grier needs to play hardball. The markets been set and if Grier develops a reputation as being the GM who'll basically give players away simply so they can chase a cup then perhaps he's not the guy who should be behind our rebuild. Vegas is proving that the best way to handle business is by treating it as such. They've ushered in a new era of how teams succeed.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
f*** that. Grier needs to play hardball. The markets been set and if Grier develops a reputation as being the GM who'll basically give players away simply so they can chase a cup then perhaps he's not the guy who should be behind our rebuild. Vegas is proving that the best way to handle business is by treating it as such. They've ushered in a new era of how teams succeed.
Of course Grier should play hardball to get the best draft pick for him. My point was that he should absolutely trade him for the best deal. He should not decline to trade him and just sign him like you suggested.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Of course Grier should play hardball to get the best draft pick for him. My point was that he should absolutely trade him for the best deal. He should not decline to trade him and just sign him like you suggested.
I think he needs to have a firm expectation of what the return is and not waver from that.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
They have the added no tax situation which will keep players or bring free agents. San Jose has always been a hard sell unless the management takes care of the players.
DW grew San Jose doing it this way. MGGM seems to be of the same ilk. I appreciate that because these guys have families and I think a team should take those type of things into mind.
That kind of stuff gets around. This is why the best players in teal tended to stay here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad