NEW: Cam Robinson Talks Sharks Prospects: Who Might Be Better Than Smith? His 2024 Draft Favorites?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I generally like EP's content but Cam rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps it's just my sensitivity to his being very "HFBoards" about his prospect loves (in love with smallish skilled wingers -- Perreault, Michkov, Benson -- and down on Smith... but excited about Luca, a small, hyper skilled D... and Parekh! of course)... he did come across, at least, as more talking head / surface-level than I hoped. More kind of "from the hip" claims based on opinion and observation rather than previous prospect conversations which were a bit more grounded in something, anything measurable.

Then again, the pro scouts and execs aren't out there on podcasts, they're currently heads down doing their jobs, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Still a nice job interviewing him and getting him to opine on the pipeline.
I'm done taking any of these internet scouts seriously. If they were good at this they would be working for a professional hockey team or scouting service. Since DWJr. no longer has hiring powers that won't be happening anytime soon.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I'm done taking any of these internet scouts seriously. If they were good at this they would be working for a professional hockey team or scouting service. Since DWJr. no longer has hiring powers that won't be happening anytime soon.
Personally, I use internet scouts for information. I like to see their points of view and see if it matches my own. If I don’t see it, I move on. At the end of the day everyone has a bias, everyone has an eye, and everyone is wrong. As someone trying to get better at recognizing the patterns that make a successful prospect, the more data I can input the better.

But I see your point. They’re not professionals so their word isn’t gospel. Just data points.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Personally, I use internet scouts for information. I like to see their points of view and see if it matches my own. If I don’t see it, I move on. At the end of the day everyone has a bias, everyone has an eye, and everyone is wrong. As someone trying to get better at recognizing the patterns that make a successful prospect, the more data I can input the better.

But I see your point. They’re not professionals so their word isn’t gospel. Just data points.
This is a great attitude -- frankly I just like prospect evaluators that have some humility. The stronger the POV, or the less room for "ranges" and "I could be wrong," the less I trust. Cam came across as pretty clearly believing his own press, so to speak.

And the bandana

Reactions: Sandisfan

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I don’t know what pointy haired has to do with things but yes. That interview felt like they had to walk on eggshells with Pierre because he’d randomly go off on some tangent.
it's a reference from a documentary on corporate office culture

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
not to monger for rumors, but what was Cam talking about with Musty's off-ice issues? i had never heard about those before

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad