Blue Jays Discussion: New players, new uniform, new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Panik isn't on the 40 man roster so unless he's got an out clause there's no optioning or waiving, it's a minor league deal. Players have to have 6 year service time to automatically get on a minor league deal 5 days prior to the start of the season either a roster spot, released, or 100k with a June 1st out clause(see https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-...meaning-of-signing-a-minor-league-deal-021315). Panik has 5.1 so unless it was negotiated as part of his deal which is definitely could have been he just goes to Buffalo until we need him. Worked out for Sogard last year.

Good to know. If they don't keep Alford then there would be a spot for Panik.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
With McGuires legal troubles I know his trade value has taken a hit. But I wonder if it makes sense to be proactive here with the catching situation.

Perhaps move McGuire for a starting pitching prospect or an OF prospect, it attainable.

Sign Martin (Ryu’s catcher from last year) as a stop gap for Kirk.

I was going to suggest switching McGuire to a pitcher instead but he might have too much of a jerky motion for that to work.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Lol you guys get so uptight over this issue it's getting hilarious, but keep it up :laugh:

Guess what he sucks :laugh:

Nobody's uptight about anything. The fact that you categorize everyone who doesn't agree with you as 'uptight' or 'defensive' or that they 'love' Fisher when none of that is true says more about you than it does anyone else.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Kirk's opposite-field power enough to impress Blue Jays' Montoyo - Sportsnet.ca
DUNEDIN, Fla. – Alejandro Kirk, the sturdily-built 21-year-old who’s rapidly climbing prospect rankings thanks to remarkable plate discipline and a strong throwing arm, won over another fan Sunday: Toronto Blue Jays manager Charlie Montoyo.

Facing former big-league closer Bud Norris in the eighth inning of Sunday’s 9-0 win over the Phillies, Kirk first showcased his patience by working a 3-0 count. That’s nothing unusual for a player who walked more than he struck out last year on his way to a .403 on-base percentage at Class A. Two swinging strikes followed, at which point Kirk displayed his developing power with an opposite-field home run to right.

“I’ll tell you what, that’s impressive,” Montoyo said. “This kid has played so good so far in spring training and he’s already a fan favourite. I’m a fan of the kid already, so good for him.”

Signed as an international free agent in 2016, Kirk’s now in big-league camp for the first time. While he has no chance of going North with the major-league team, he’ll likely spend much of the 2020 season in the upper minors and could open at double-A.

Listed at five-foot-nine and 220 pounds, he has shown some power with 17 home runs in 151 career minor-league games. Maybe his short arms are, in fact, an asset.

“That helps, because he’s got a short stroke,” Montoyo said. “He doesn’t get big (with his swing), so he stays short to the ball.”

Reactions: kb

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Don’t think it was that bad from a value and team need perspective. Kay has good value and you might be selling him short.

A former top 100, either ready or almost MLB ready starting pitcher in Kay and a backend filler in Anderson for an OF prospect who is blocked and at least a year away. He was a top 100 prospect for BA and was on the cusp on FGs and Law’s lists when he was a Met. Gets traded to the Jays and he falls off.

Marsh has potential but he was ok in A ball in 2018 and very good in AA last year with some parts of his game that he still needs to work on.

It’s a higher floor, MLB ready player in a position that you need now for a higher ceiling player further away from a position you will likely have filled for years to come.

Anthony Kay is fine. However, you’re asking another franchise to swap a prospect that, while blocked, is slightly more valuable (when one considers the reliever risk of Kay) while also taking your crap. I’m sorry, but Chase Anderson at $7.5MM, even for just the year, is underwater. Very little motivation for them to do such a deal.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Anthony Kay is fine. However, you’re asking another franchise to swap a prospect that, while blocked, is slightly more valuable (when one considers the reliever risk of Kay) while also taking your crap. I’m sorry, but Chase Anderson at $7.5MM, even for just the year, is underwater. Very little motivation for them to do such a deal.

Fair enough, my thought is they need innings as the most they got from a starter last season was 95 and the highest starting fWAR they received was 1.8 fWAR from Skaggs who passed away. Next highest was 1.4 fWAR.

Last year Anderson gave Milwaukee 1.2 fWAR over 138 innings.

Heaney and Bundy should be better for them this year. Canning is likely done for a significant time period. Angels gave a slightly better pitcher more money and he already had an injury in Tehran. Ohtani hasn't thrown a meaningful pitch in over a year and won't until May or June.

As bad as we think Anderson is, he should be A LOT better than what the Angels have at the backend of their rotation at the 4 or 5 spot. Angels had a league worst; 681 innings and 3.2 fWAR from their starters last year.

Anderson was a throw in for me to add depth. If Shoemaker is of more interest to them then he can be the depth option instead.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Fair enough, my thought is they need innings as the most they got from a starter last season was 95 and the highest starting fWAR they received was 1.8 fWAR from Skaggs who passed away. Next highest was 1.4 fWAR.

Last year Anderson gave Milwaukee 1.2 fWAR over 138 innings.

Heaney and Bundy should be better for them this year. Canning is likely done for a significant time period. Angels gave a slightly better pitcher more money and he already had an injury in Tehran. Ohtani hasn't thrown a meaningful pitch in over a year and won't until May or June.

As bad as we think Anderson is, he should be A LOT better than what the Angels have at the backend of their rotation at the 4 or 5 spot. Angels had a league worst; 681 innings and 3.2 fWAR from their starters last year.

Anderson was a throw in for me to add depth. If Shoemaker is of more interest to them then he can be the depth option instead.

That's fair. And again, after backing out of the Joc (Stripling) deal, I'm not going to say they're NOT stupid. I'm moreso speaking from the perspective that I'm running the Angels. And to be fair, if its indeed Shoemaker instead of Anderson, then I'm listening on the other end of the phone.

At its core, it makes sense from a mutual benefit perspective. But as the Angels GM, I believe I can piece it together rotation wise, and use the asset to trade for a better major league option come June.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

I know why they are showing the away game but it's sad that the game that's on TV will be the AAAA squad mostly and the Ryu start with the faces of the franchise get to be radio only lol

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Why the F are they televising the Pirates game and not the Rays game where all main players are playing
Because they can just use the Pirates broadcast for that game. If they wanted to show the home game that would mean they'd actually have to broadcast it themselves and why would they do that?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
That's fair. And again, after backing out of the Joc (Stripling) deal, I'm not going to say they're NOT stupid. I'm moreso speaking from the perspective that I'm running the Angels. And to be fair, if its indeed Shoemaker instead of Anderson, then I'm listening on the other end of the phone.

At its core, it makes sense from a mutual benefit perspective. But as the Angels GM, I believe I can piece it together rotation wise, and use the asset to trade for a better major league option come June.

Pretty much how I see it from their perspective too. I think Marsh should have more value than Kay and Anderson/Shoe. I propose it now to play on their desperation for pitching and their glut of OFs before Marsh can take that next step. Now Kay’s next step could be a pretty positive one too but that’s why it works, there is risk on both sides.

Live update: Kay had a not so good first inning but just threw a dirty breaking pitch to get out of the inning.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Why the F are they televising the Pirates game and not the Rays game where all main players are playing

Ryu dealing and the Jays are up 5-0 on Snell who just got pulled right before a Danny Jansen grand slam.

pretty disappointing that this game isn’t in Tv.

Reactions: Anthrax442

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The fastest player on every team

Blue Jays: Anthony Alford, OF
Key stat: Sprint speed -- 29.4 ft/sec (96th percentile)

The former collegiate defensive back for Mississippi has struggled with injuries, but he’s still a top prospect (Toronto's No. 21 prospect per MLB Pipeline), and if you can cover SEC wide receivers, you can probably be a nuisance on the basepaths.

Each division's toughest club to predict for '20

American League East: Toronto Blue Jays
Will all these injuries cost the Yankees this time around? Can the Rays really repeat that 96-win season? Are the Red Sox still contenders after trading Mookie Betts and David Price? Those are worthy questions, but the biggest ones can be found north of the border.

Sometimes a young, talented club blossoms ahead of schedule. But not every young, talented club progresses in a linear fashion. The Blue Jays' core of position players is tantalizing, but with a lot to prove. Nate Pearson (MLB's No. 8 prospect, according to MLB Pipeline) is opening eyes this spring, but he has pitched three games above Double-A and will be handled with care. A reinforced rotation is led by Hyun-Jin Ryu, who was the 2019 National League Cy Young Award runner-up in his first fully healthy season since 2013.

Best-case scenario: Vladimir Guerrero Jr. leads Toronto’s young studs with a sophomore breakout, Ryu throws 180 innings again and Pearson becomes a flame-throwing factor in the rotation, as Toronto reemerges as a legitimate Wild Card contender.

Worst-case scenario: Bo Bichette and Cavan Biggio can’t build on impressive rookie campaigns, and Pearson isn’t ready. Ryu finds himself back on the injured list, and by mid-July the hottest topic is closer Ken Giles’ Trade Deadline destination.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Your the one who has been complaining about him for 4 pages now. Seems like your the one with the issue.

Again nope, there's 4 pages because that's how many people took offense to what I originally said and me just replying to that many people back. I never originally quoted anyone just came in here wrote a post and that was it. Why there's 4 pages because of everyone else here trying to defend or argue regarding a fringe player, which makes no sense, but it has become funny, but of course no one will admit how bad they look quoting me that many times trying to defend a fringe player or getting upset that I never liked the trade and try defending the trade still, but for some reason many want to here.

I've been following the Jays since I was a kid when they first won the World Series in 92, and I'm passionate fan and always will be, but when I see a player I'm not a fan of I'm going to speak my mind on the issue and I don't really care if that bothers someone or not. It may not even be a player it could be a coach or it could be some in upper management, I will speak my mind on it normally, and I know there will always be someone who disagrees I understand that, but 4 pages of arguing over a fringe player has gotten pretty hilarious, kind of sad actually that many people wanted to argue over that guy for that long.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Really is an odd thing to get annoyed about.

Like “man! This turd stinks...I can’t believe I traded three turds for this turd!!! I want my turds back!”
My father still periodically breaks into rants about trading "an All-Star" (Sanchez) for "a terrible outfielder" (Fisher). I just shake my head; it's not worth it.

Reactions: phillipmike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad