Speculation: New NHL CBA: No compliance buyouts..max 5 year deals

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I'm not so so sure the NHLPA won't like the 5 year deals. I think they will be more popular as guys like Matthews want to be UFA sooner and on the right side of 30 so they can cash in on the 2nd contract as well. For the elite level stars it's ELC (18-20) and then a 5 year deal (21-25) and then another 5 year deal (26-30).

If the cap keeps growing like is has in the past two seasons, I think they would prefer the 5 year contract so they are not stuck in the last 3 year of a 8 year deal when the cap is substantially higher

I believe this is the correct way to look at it, but I doubt the nhlpa sees it that way...

To anyone saying get rid of guaranteed contract: take them away, and get ready for multiple years of no hockey. And besides, If aomeone doesn’t play to their contract, that’s on the idiot gm who gave them that contract to begin with, not the player who signed it

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I forget who said it recently about free agency but they said that signing a long term deal was hard to choose because 7-8 years is 10 percent of their life, half of their kids childhood, etc. They would probably pick a city they love over the smarter team choice because of those considerations.

I like these shorter deals. I think the 5 year deals benefits all markets because it lets players pick teams more than cities.

Also, creates an amazing free agency year when the last 7 year contacts and the first 5 years expire at the same time.

Reactions: FF de Mars

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Non guaranteed would be so f***ing great but alas players will fight this one to death

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I forget who said it recently about free agency but they said that signing a long term deal was hard to choose because 7-8 years is 10 percent of their life, half of their kids childhood, etc. They would probably pick a city they love over the smarter team choice because of those considerations.

I like these shorter deals. I think the 5 year deals benefits all markets because it lets players pick teams more than cities.

Also, creates an amazing free agency year when the last 7 year contacts and the first 5 years expire at the same time.

I can’t see how that benefits teams like the Habs that elite UFA players generally avoid.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Everyone clamouring for non-guaranteed contracts - would you be ok with players also having the ability to walk away from any contract to sign a new contract with any other team during any offseason? If you want to make the NHL akin to a real job market you can’t then artificially tie players to teams.

If not, then you’re just trying to give teams unlimited power, basically. Edmonton? Just shoot most of the roster out of a cannon and go nuts July 1! Detroit? Congrats, you’re fine. Toronto? What cap crunch?

Why the hell should Edmonton be able to just nullify contracts but McDavid has to stay to honour his side of the contract? It makes zero sense.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Everyone clamouring for non-guaranteed contracts - would you be ok with players also having the ability to walk away from any contract to sign a new contract with any other team during any offseason? If you want to make the NHL akin to a real job market you can’t then artificially tie players to teams.

If not, then you’re just trying to give teams unlimited power, basically. Edmonton? Just shoot most of the roster out of a cannon and go nuts July 1! Detroit? Congrats, you’re fine. Toronto? What cap crunch?

Why the hell should Edmonton be able to just nullify contracts but McDavid has to stay to honour his side of the contract? It makes zero sense.

Let's also get rid of the draft.

Make every 18 year old a UFA.

Like in the real world !!!

Reactions: FF de Mars

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I believe this is the correct way to look at it, but I doubt the nhlpa sees it that way...

To anyone saying get rid of guaranteed contract: take them away, and get ready for multiple years of no hockey. And besides, If someone doesn’t play to their contract, that’s on the idiot gm who gave them that contract to begin with, not the player who signed it

Not sure if they reduce the 8 year deals to max 5 year deals or not. Maybe 5 years or 6 years if you re-sign with your current team? It's a interesting perspective from either side and how they would see it being a positive or negative in terms of CBA negotiations

As far as getting rid of guaranteed contracts. Not going to happen.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
Last go around the owners were proposing a five year ECL, most likely with elimination of the traditional RFA status (or that was seen being the only way the players could accept such a deal) so one could see that coming back to the table. After all, future players are not represented on the table so no NHLPA member is hurt if the restrictions on ECL are increased in order to get the deal done for the benefit of the current players.

Maximum length of contracts could decrease because you already see GMs shying away from max term at UFA market and the League loves to save GMs from themselves. I would expect that as concession UFA rules are eased or players push for arbitration rights right after ECL, especially if this year’s RFAs reach July without agreement and Offer Sheets.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
NFL has always thrived with non guaranteed contracts. A team takes all the risks while a player (like Lucic, Alzner) can all of a sudden become very mediocre and can sit back and collect their money.
I agreed to a certain wage at work based on my experience and past performance...my company can show me the door if I don’t deliver with no “guaranteed money”
You can also negotiate a higher salary. So guys like MacKinnon and pastrnak can opt out and re negotiate then.

Which prompts the question, why bother having more than a 1 year contract if the team can simply opt out of their obligation?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You can also negotiate a higher salary. So guys like MacKinnon and pastrnak can opt out and re negotiate then.

Which prompts the question, why bother having more than a 1 year contract if the team can simply opt out of their obligation?

Didn't some players pull stunts like that in the 1990s?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Didn't some players pull stunts like that in the 1990s?
I think so. Weird times back then. Seem to remember that was the reason Coffey left Edmonton.

He asked to be traded in September after Glen Sather, the Oilers' general manager, and Peter Pocklington, the team's owner, refused to renegotiate his contract, which has two years remaining at the Canadian money rate of $325,000 a year. The Penguins did not announce the contract terms with Coffey.

Oilers Send Coffey to Penguins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad