Confirmed with Link: New MTS Centre Announcer? (MOD: Dave Wheeler leaving)

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Haha I saw it and was like OH MAN!

I've pestered Kyle Balharry since the Jets returned to work in that department.

PS I nominate Vicki Shae. She's a great girl, has very good charisma and is super hot.

Knowing you, you would've kicked ass at it.

Puckschmuck*

Dave Wheeler out? Woooo! Great news. Can't stand that *******.

Last edited by a moderator:

pdrec

Jun 30, 2011
If they pick a girl, please not one with the same valley girl overly energetic spends all day on facebook and twitter voice.

You know what I'm talking about. Seems like they are all on radio. Maybe it would be a good idea for the Jets to go outside radio for this one.

Sarah Orlesky and the TSN Sportscentre girls are good examples of what I'm not talking about.

BUT they have to do the contests, can't get rid of those. Those are dollars in the bank. Get used to them.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Haha I saw it and was like OH MAN!

I've pestered Kyle Balharry since the Jets returned to work in that department.

PS I nominate Vicki Shae. She's a great girl, has very good charisma and is super hot.

OT I know, but really? The only thing that would make that better is if his first name was Richard. Then he could challenge for the title from the Menno guy named Harold Dyck...seriously, real name, goes by Harry too...that is just gold standard. :naughty:

I hate those stupid between play games and their weak sauce prizes.
Congrats, Jim...you win a $50 dollar gift certificate courtesy of Mercedes Benz Winnipeg!

I'm not really adding anything to this conversation am I?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Anyway, I don't know if it'll make much of a difference what buffoon they put in that spot. Maybe a supermodel? What's the Russian women's curling team up to?

Barclay's Center has Alyonka Larionov (Igor's smoking hot daughter) doing their TV timeout shilling. Let's get Garth Snow on the phone and work her into a trade package somehow! :sarcasm:

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
If Wheeler tried a little harder to be engaging/entertaining and not maintaining that "Cool" persona, he'd be a little more of an effective host. The aloof, sarcastic radio guy schtick doesn't translate at all to live promotion, especially for a crew like Winnipeg Jets fans.

That being said, let's not get David Keam or anything like that either.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Yeah, he really doesn't put forth the greatest image. And completely lacks enthusiasm. That's always a major crowd killer, as soon as that guy hits the jumbotron. Hope they pick someone who just kills at this going forward.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
One of my favorite television personalities is Conan O'Brien. He kind of has that awkward, self-deprecating sense of humor, yet is somehow smooth and charming at the same time. Never seems like he's trying to BE cool. Rather he revels in how 'uncool' he apparantely is, and that somehow makes him cool. Could use someone like that.

C Plus

Jun 6, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I agree, Wheeler is easy to dislike and would proudly mock anyone that thought Winnipeg housing an NHL team was even remotely possible prior to the return in 2011.

Yes, I think he can go suck a lemon for those reasons, but he is sadly capable of being the lesser of two evils.

To give the devil his due, I remember him missing a Bomber game when he was doing them and the guy that stood in was just so bad.. By comparison, Wheeler was like watching a monster truck that was on fire being driven by a bunch of big breasted lady ninjas into the volcano lair of terrorist-aliens hellbent on world domination, while the other guy was the dullest episode of antiques roadshow ever filmed.

The Jets aren't the penny pinching organization that the Bombers have been in the past (fingers crossed, hopefully that's changed) so I'd hope they'll bring in someone that won't be on par with watching paint dry. If that's the case, don't let the door hit you on the way out Wheeler! ;)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree, Wheeler is easy to dislike and would proudly mock anyone that thought Winnipeg housing an NHL team was even remotely possible prior to the return in 2011.

Yes, I think he can go suck a lemon for those reasons, but he is sadly capable of being the lesser of two evils.

To give the devil his due, I remember him missing a Bomber game when he was doing them and the guy that stood in was just so bad.. By comparison, Wheeler was like watching a monster truck that was on fire being driven by a bunch of big breasted lady ninjas into the volcano lair of terrorist-aliens hellbent on world domination, while the other guy was the dullest episode of antiques roadshow ever filmed.

The Jets aren't the penny pinching organization that the Bombers have been in the past (fingers crossed, hopefully that's changed) so I'd hope they'll bring in someone that won't be on par with watching paint dry. If that's the case, don't let the door hit you on the way out Wheeler! ;)

Paul Edmonds maybe? :sarcasm:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Descriptive post of the day! :handclap:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Would love to hear Howard Mandshein as the new Jets announcer, " A WONDERful goal by Kane"! "How cool was that", Jets up by a sensational 1-0!";)

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Would love to hear Howard Mandshein as the new Jets announcer, " A WONDERful goal by Kane"! "How cool was that", Jets up by a sensational 1-0!";)

Yeah Howard would be a riot, though the calls would come about 10 seconds after any play was made...and there would be awkward moments of silence follow by a "Whoa...man...that was cool."

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
If Ace Burpee gets the job, I may actually be the first person arrested for punching out an entertainment host at a professional sports game.

Can't stand that ******.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad