New Leafs Scout? (or not)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Does anyone know if the Leafs have actually signed Real Paiement as a new scout? He's listed on eliteprospects.com, but not on the Leafs site (they are slow sometimes).

http://www.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=1967

Paiement has far more experience than anyone in the QMJHL, but it's been a while (almost 10 years). Most recently he's been in Europe and the CIS with the infamous University of Ottawa squad. Regardless, 11 years as a head coach (with one of those years as a GM as well) plus living in Quebec could indicate we would use him there if we hired him.

The Leafs currently do not have a guy whom is clearly and exclusively scouting the QMJHL, so it could make some sense. Martino is the closest as he's from Montreal and has some experience in the league, but he was more recently a London scout and is likely performing the same duties (scouting the OHL). I don't really know why we would hire him specifically for that job however. He has all of the qualifications, but you can find a few guys like that who are also far more aware of the current batch of players in the league.

So there is a lot going for or against the hiring in terms of it's legitimacy.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Can a team hire as many scouts as they wish? Probably a stupid question but I always wondered that.

Yeah, there's basically no limit to how you do anything that isn't player related. I think there's a limit to how many staff members you can have on the bench? I feel like I've heard that, and it makes some basic sense. But I couldn't say for sure. One thing people complained about with the Leafs for years was "there's no cap on your front office and coaching staff, do something about it!" and Brendan Shanahan was the first to properly take advantage. Burke did to some extent too, but he focused on maintaining relationships by giving every former GM in the league an assistant GM spot (not a terrible idea) and didn't do much for player development or scouting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad