New Leaf Kyle Baun (Former Leaf Bobby Baun's Grandson)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's a good bottom 6 AHLer.

He can replace Rychel, but in a different way. Marlies are sacrificing some grit to get a more versatile big guy. If he's given Rychel's role, he could probably replace his offense since we are much better than Laval. He'll also be better defensively.

Considering the Marlies were able to get something out of Rychel and Valiev, and opened up a contract spot at the same time, it's not a bad little addition for them.

Rydermike

Feb 25, 2018
Now that's grit. Let's hope some has rubbed off his grandson.
He's hardworking. He wasn't heralded as a teenager, wasn't a star, went the college route, signed as an undrafted free agent. Never quit working to get to the NHL.

Reactions: Bullseye

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When he came out of college the Leafs tried signing him but he went to Chicago I believe.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
I've heard the Bobby Baun story about a million times from my dad. He literally had an entire speech memorized about his legendary game, line for line, word for word.

Welcome to Toronto, Kyle Baun!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
cut.jpg

Kyle Baun was never drafted, but that hasn't stopped him from making his way up to the pros. And that should surprise no one; the Laval Rocket forward has hockey running through his veins.

"I'm from Toronto, so it's good to be closer to home and to play in Toronto and nearby cities, where my family can come see me play," said Baun.

"My grandfather has told me lots of stories, for sure. When I was growing up, I would always hear those 'back in my day' kind of stories," Baun recalled. "In the summer, we would always try to plan a fishing trip or some other activity. But today, when I come back, we have less time, so it's more a lunch to make up for lost time."

The patriarch was also among the group that helped establish the NHL Players' Association. And since he's been involved in the field for a long time, he's made sure his grandson has been treated well along the way.

"He gives me a lot of advice on the business side of things. He has an opinion on the kind of treatment the players get and he wants to ensure I master all that. He wants to be sure we're treated adequately, something which was not the case in his day - especially with salaries, which were hidden," Baun said. "He's one of the people that helped raise the issue and he ended up being a big part of the solution."

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Good story and all..but really he's already 25, so he was probably only included in the trade for contract # purposes.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
He's a good bottom 6 AHLer.

He can replace Rychel, but in a different way. Marlies are sacrificing some grit to get a more versatile big guy. If he's given Rychel's role, he could probably replace his offense since we are much better than Laval. He'll also be better defensively.

Considering the Marlies were able to get something out of Rychel and Valiev, and opened up a contract spot at the same time, it's not a bad little addition for them.

I think we broke even on the contracts.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Players needed exchanged, Baun thrown in as a best of luck it seems. They may have done something kinda classy or Lou did something superstitiously. Nobody will ever know.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
First Shanny brings Dave Keon back into the Leaf community and now management brought Baun’s grandkid into the organization.

Shanahan trying to anti-voodoo the organization

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad