GDT: New Jersey @ Ottawa Thurs 7:30 pm on TSN5

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
The Predators game was almost a week after the season opener and the attendance was just as atrocious. Scheduling is not an issue.

I think the issue is that there doesn't seem to be a buzz in the city yet over the Senators.

I think it's largely because of interest in the other sports going on right now (Blue Jays and RedBlacks, maybe the Fury as well).

But also, there was no big event in the off-season to get people excited about the team this year.

I think once the BJ's are eliminated and RedBlack's season ends, and it really feels like winter, we'll see attendance jump back up.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Typically until December the crowds are always like this unless it's a Habs or Leafs game.

Also, up until the new CBA the numbers were always inflated, now it's actual tickets sold. 16,000 on Thursday against New Jersey is actually pretty good if you ask me.

Like others have said, the Sens aren't on anyone's radar right now. You have 3 leagues with Ottawa interest that are at or near the playoffs (Jays, REDBLACKS and Fury). Until they are done, most people will pay more attention to that than game 8 or whatever of 82 in the NHL season.

And yeah, it isn't a stretch to say it's some pretty boring hockey. I kept telling my wife yesterday when it was 4-2 that it was one of the sloppiest games I've been to in a while. It was chincy passes, missing wide open guys and just overall bad hockey from both teams. Doesn't really entice people to come out.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'd much prefer O'Dell + Robinson over Smith + Neil on the 4th line.

They're dead weight that only causes negatives on the ice. Up until last night, anyways.

Neil & Smith have been playing well all season. Why is it every time this team loses a game that people come on here & want to get rid of the 4th line players like it is their fault this team isn't winning with regularity. Why isn't it Zibanejad or Ryans fault for having a crappy start to their season & not winning more games & playing more in line with how we are paying them? Why aren't people crapping on Karlsson for sucking defensively, another minus 2 last night?

Every time this team loses a game it's the same thing, it's always the guys at the bottom that get the blame from fans but never the guys who actually get paid all that money to score goals & win games. I see Ryan & Karlsson continually make stupid mistakes, give the puck away, terrible passes & dumb decisions every game. I also see them make some nice plays but with both at this early start of the season there is more bad then good from those two although Ryan was much better last night.

Why is Boro playing on the top pair? Why is Cowen playing on the bottom pair? Why is Karlsson not playing against top lines? Why is Wiercioch not seeing PP time (but Lazar and Chiasson are)? Why is Ceci being given so much responsibility with a guy who's playing badly right now?

There is deployment issues across the board, not just in the last minute of play.
Those are all coaching decisions, are you implying they should fire another head coach? Boro is playing on the top pair because aside from Methot he seems to be the only other defenceman on this team who can play with Karlsson & not look terrible. Phillips got burned out last yr playing with Karlsson, Cowen had all kinds of problems playing with Karlsson because of all the risks Karlsson takes & left his partned to defend numerous two against one. Wiercioch has done okay with Karlsson offensively but having two weak defensive players on defence increases goals against. That is why Boro is playing on the top pairing with Methot hurt.

Cowen is playing on the bottom pairing because he has shown that he is not capable of playing with either Karlsson or Ceci for whatever reason. So far this yr he has shown that he is playing well with Boro & even better with Wideman IMO. Karlsson is not playing against top lines because he sucks defensively & gets over powered in front of the net by big forwards consistently, he was a minus 2 last night.

Ceci is getting more responsibility because he is showing that he is improving & can handle a little more & his partner has regressed. Wiercioch is not playing on the PP because he isn't playing very well & Hoffman has taken his spot because he has super speed, has a great shot, is a very good playmaker & plays well defensively on the PP & most teams in the NHL are now going with a forward on the point on the PP. Lazar & Chiasson got on the ice during the last half minute or so of the PP because the PP guys were tired & their shift was next I think. If it's not working with the big guys most NHL coaches try something new & sometimes put on other players to send a message.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Neil & Smith have been playing well all season. Why is it every time this team loses a game that people come on here & want to get rid of the 4th line players like it is their fault this team isn't winning with regularity. Why isn't it Zibanejad or Ryans fault for having a crappy start to their season & not winning more games & playing more in line with how we are paying them? Why aren't people crapping on Karlsson for sucking defensively, another minus 2 last night?

Every time this team loses a game it's the same thing, it's always the guys at the bottom that get the blame from fans but never the guys who actually get paid all that money to score goals & win games. I see Ryan & Karlsson continually make stupid mistakes, give the puck away, terrible passes & dumb decisions every game. I also see them make some nice plays but with both at this early start of the season there is more bad then good for those two.

I blame Zibanejad and Ryan plenty. I also blame Smith and Neil because having 4 effective lines would be nice. There not critical players but they can also cost a game or be the difference in a win.

We have the depth to role 4 scoring lines but instead we role a good top line, decent 3rd line, a 2nd line with 0 chemistry that can't score and a 4th line that never has puck possession(unless Prince is on the line carrying them). Theres more to a 4th line then size.

Karlsson has made mistakes, no doubt, but he's also the reason we have any amount of a breakout and is responsible for a lot of the teams offense. He gets a bit of a break.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I blame Zibanejad and Ryan plenty. I also blame Smith and Neil because having 4 effective lines would be nice. There not critical players but they can also cost a game or be the difference in a win.

We have the depth to role 4 scoring lines but instead we role a good top line, decent 3rd line, a 2nd line with 0 chemistry that can't score and a 4th line that never has puck possession(unless Prince is the line carrying them). Theres more to a 4th line then size.

Karlsson has made mistakes, no doubt, but he's also the reason we have any amount of a breakout and is responsible for a lot of the teams offense. He gets a bit of a break.
This was our strength last season ,funny how neil and smith werent part of that huge run .As of right now i actually would prefer Legwand and Puemple back right now :cry:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Prince was going HAM in the second half of last night's game....playing like a first liner imo and was seemingly doing whatever he wanted with the puck making several outstanding passes.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

We have the depth to role 4 scoring lines but instead we role a good top line, decent 3rd line, a 2nd line with 0 chemistry that can't score and a 4th line that never has puck possession(unless Prince is on the line carrying them). Theres more to a 4th line then size.

The stuff being said about the 4th line is just over the top & of we would have won last night's game wouldn't be nearly as bad & people would be talking about Neil's Gordie Howe & Smith's goal & how well that 4th line played for half the game.

We do have the depth to role 4 lines but nobody knows how well all of these young guys would play if called up at the same time. So what do you suggest? Neil & Smith have contracts, is it your intention to bury them in Bingo too? Maybe trade them, but if we don't want them then who will, especially this early in the season? Who exactly do you want to move out & replace them with & who do you exactly want to trade for that is available? Prince is on that 4th line now & most want him higher in the order.

It's easier said then done especially at this time of the yr & btw is moving Neil & Smith going to help Zibanejad & Ryan score once they are gone. BM got rid of Greening but for some reason it hasn't helped Ryan or Zibanejad to produce more. Is the coach going to put together the lines you want & the players together you want or move the guys you want up in the order? Neil & Phillips will are likely going to be gone by the end of the season & Smith, Chiasson & even Michalek potentially the following yr could also be gone if the young guys can beat them out. The there is the defence? How many guys can we trade in one yr?

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Neil and SMith have played well all year and had a hell of a game last night. Its just weird to me that people continue to ***** about them this season while there are plenty of players with much more ice time that have been worse.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Ticket prices are ridiculous - the hike over the last two years is ruining the attendance. Plus a lot of people say **** it when they realize they have to drive all the way to Kanata to go. At least when tickets were cheap they'd make it worth it

With a $70M+ cap and a 70 cent CDN dollar how in the he** can ticket be any cheaper than they are???

I also don't believe for a moment that the walk-up crowd would be any larger regardless of where the arena is located.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
No way was there almost 17 000 there last night, I work there and the number was more like 13 000, as was Saturdays game against Nashville and I haven't heard about tomorrow but I'm guessing it will be the same.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
No way was there almost 17 000 there last night, I work there and the number was more like 13 000, as was Saturdays game against Nashville and I haven't heard about tomorrow but I'm guessing it will be the same.

Attendance likely means tickets sold, whether anyone shows up is irrelevant!!!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
With a $70M+ cap and a 70 cent dollar how in the he** can ticket be any cheaper than they are???

I also don't believe for a moment that the walk-up crowd would be any larger regardless of where the arena is located.

I'd go to a lot more games if I could get there easily and quickly. As it stands all my friends are lame and I don't drive, if I could get to the arena easily I'd go to at least a game a week.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The stuff being said about the 4th line is just over the top & of we would have won last night's game wouldn't be nearly as bad & people would be talking about Neil's Gordie Howe & Smith's goal & how well that 4th line played for half the game.

We do have the depth to role 4 lines but nobody knows how well all of these young guys would play if called up at the same time. So what do you suggest? Neil & Smith have contracts, is it your intention to bury them in Bingo too? Maybe trade them, but if we don't want them then who will, especially this early in the season? Who exactly do you want to move out & replace them with & who do you exactly want to trade for that is available? Prince is on that 4th line now & most want him higher in the order.

It's easier said then done especially at this time of the yr & btw is moving Neil & Smith going to help Zibanejad & Ryan score once they are gone. BM got rid of Greening but for some reason it hasn't helped Ryan or Zibanejad to produce more. Is the coach going to put together the lines you want & the players together you want or move the guys you want up in the order? Neil & Phillips will are likely going to be gone by the end of the season & Smith, Chiasson & even Michalek potentially the following yr could also be gone if the young guys can beat them out. The there is the defence? How many guys can we trade in one yr?
Criticizing these two doesn't mean im putting all the blame on them. 4th liners aren't immune to criticism.

I guess it just comes down to preference in players. I find their playing styles brings little value to the team. You clearly like their playing styles and think they are valuable.

Imo having one of them on the 4th line is fine, nothing wrong with that, but two just doesn't work for the majority of games. Neil + Smith = guarantees the other teams players on the ice are better overall. One good game doesn't redeem being useless/a detriment for the last 2 or 3 seasons. Both are too similar to each other and lack any amount of offense + speed and meh defensively.

Murray will never trade Neil because Neil will never allow it. Smith shouldn't be hard to trade to a bottom feeder that just needs a body. Use that open space as a rotation of Bingo players.

Never be satisfied, always look to improve.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I'd go to a lot more games if I could get there easily and quickly. As it stands all my friends are lame and I don't drive, if I could get to the arena easily I'd go to at least a game a week.

I didn't mean to suggest that if the arena was downtown that more people from that area of the city wouldn't go, I actually think they would.

What I am suggesting is what is gained if the arena was at the Flats for instance, could easily be offset by a decrease in the existing crowd.

There is never going to be a "BEST" location until the city has a significantly better transit system and until then people will continue to want to drive.

From what I understand there will be limited parking, if any, at the proposed LF site so that will likely discourage many of the existing STB and walk-up crowd.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Sorry should have specified I was told there was only 13 000 tickets sold by building staff, I work in the food and beverage side. It's possibly they have 3000 walk-ups but i'd say that's pretty damn unlikely.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's my point. Out of sight, out of mind. Half the people I talked to the day of the Nashville game assumed it was on the road because they had been on the road most of the season.

That's also on the Sens marketing team. They suck. You'd barely know there's a hockey team in this city with how little they extend their advertising beyond TSN 1200.

This. Big time.

Sens had a practice at CIH Arena earlier this week. That's a 10-15 minute drive from me. Even being on these boards and checking out the Sens' Facebook page regularly, I only heard about it after it happened.

The marketing folk must be asleep at the wheel. we hardly hear anything about the team, unless you spend half your awake time searching the net digging for info.

Edit: I'd also be willing to bet the new security measure implemented around the NHL will seriously hurt our walkup crowd. People looking for somethign to do won't care for the extra hassle.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
However Neil (who wears an A) chasing a fight knowing nothing good could come from it, only a potential spark for NJ, sends a message the game is won do what you will.

Neil is a leader in the room, every bit as much as EK.

So while I agree EK was less than competitive and allowed Henrique a free pass, I don't believe NJ scoring 1:17 seconds after the fight is just a coincidence.

Tootoo took that scrap to Neil and gave NJ a spark, a drive they hadn't shown after the Sens 4th goal.

I am not blaming Neil solely for the loss, their were a few other undisciplined plays that got the team behind early, but IMO what Neil did was selfish.

Way too much focus here on Neil being responsible for the collapse.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Crazy at it might seem given Smith and Neil both scored last night, I agree with you.

The best player on that line by far was Prince.

I have been a big supporter of Smith, but his compete level is just not at all where it needs to be with any consistency whatsoever. Believe he needs a change of scenery ASAP.

Neil is what he is, but IMO he just isn't a regular at this point in his career.

IMO if the Senators' brass believes Lazar has offensive potential they need to send him to Bingo and allow him to hone his offensive skills.

However if the brass keep him in Ottawa then moving him to the 4th line center spot might be the best move for Lazar.

He's not strong enough with the puck to play C at the moment IMO.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
With a $70M+ cap and a 70 cent CDN dollar how in the he** can ticket be any cheaper than they are???

Agreed. I live downtown and had class on Thursday until 7. It's just not feasible to finish and then get out to Kanata, and then the hassle of getting back after the game. I only go to 3-5 games a year because of this. I would see myself attending 15-20 games if the arena was downtown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad