GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Toronto Maple Leafs - 7pm, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I was really frustrated at VV last night because he hasn't played well lately and we allowed 4 goals, but I really can't say that anything he allowed last night was his fault.

Two wide open backdoor passes, a shorthanded breakaway, and one of the best shooters in the league alone in the slot on the PP. Those were all turnovers/defensive miscues by the skater.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Posted this in the Team Discussion thread, but thought I'd share here.

The 2008-2009 team, which has the most W's in team history, had a 41-19-3 record after their 63rd game, for 85 points.

We're 41-16-6 for 88 points after game #63

Perspective. Actually f***ing wild lol. Love this team.
As long as our playoff season doesn't end like 2009 I'm good. Oh that one still stings a bit.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
looks like i need to step away from the site, again, for a little bit.

the-fairly-oddparents-please-stay-with-us.gif

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
To be honest, I think I could take it given what’s coming up for this team, the youth of the core, and their window.

The future is so bright I’m blind.
Only thing that could possibly put a damper on this fantastic ride is a series defeat to the Rags but, I like us in that matchup, yet would rather win the division and avoid it. Important stretch ahead here to keep Carolina in striking distance.

Reactions: DevilsHughes86

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
FWIW too, Toronto's stars showed up in a game where they were needed. Gotta tip your hat to them for doing so. Marner/Nylander/Matthews were all tremendous last night, they've been ridiculed in years past for never showing up in big spots. Granted, a cold March night in NJ probably doesn't classify what Leafs fans/media consider a big spot but that's still a character win for them. The Devils have done the same with Jack out this year, good teams respond like that.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Uh yeah? Things like that happen sometimes. Just like Jack Hughes shooting 3% doesn’t mean he’s a terrible offensive player now.
You actually believe goaltending is magically better when 3/4 lines are out there?

Hughes and Bratt over the last 10 games have the lowest GF/60, highest GA/60 and the worst xGF% and HDCF% on the team.

So basically they are our worst players right now and the team is better when they aren't on the ice. This is on top of the fact that they get easy matchups and start in the offensive zone 85% of the time.

Reactions: Devils Pride 26

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Ppl shit on Haula because "hE pLaYs WiTh JaCk AnD cAnT sCoRe" but he did so much else that doesn't show up on a hockeydb page or a box score. He's had a really solid year overall and he'd leave a pretty significant hole if he wasn't here next year.

Reactions: Devs3cups

TF1970

May 9, 2021
FWIW too, Toronto's stars showed up in a game where they were needed. Gotta tip your hat to them for doing so. Marner/Nylander/Matthews were all tremendous last night, they've been ridiculed in years past for never showing up in big spots. Granted, a cold March night in NJ probably doesn't classify what Leafs fans/media consider a big spot but that's still a character win for them. The Devils have done the same with Jack out this year, good teams respond like that.

yep, marner/matthews especially were dancing all night. and nylander too, maybe not quite to the same extent, but probably close.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Exactly. I watch the Leafs quite a lot and those 3 have their off nights like everyone, but tonight they showed up while Nico/Bratt/Jack/Timo couldn’t get going, it happens. We’ve seen the contrary happen often for us this season. I’d expect a rebound from the top guys Thursday against the Caps.

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
All the HF Devils whipping boys from earlier are all of a sudden playing good, who would have thought? Haula, Boqvist, Bahl..

Also, when is the last time Jack scored with a wrist/snap shot? He had that breakaway goal recently, but his shot doesnt feel like a threat at the moment like it was early on. I also think he's playing hurt.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
All the HF Devils whipping boys from earlier are all of a sudden playing good, who would have thought? Haula, Boqvist, Bahl..

Also, when is the last time Jack scored with a wrist/snap shot? He had that breakaway goal recently, but his shot doesnt feel like a threat at the moment like it was early on. I also think he's playing hurt.
I definitely think he's playing hurt. His shot hasn't been the same since he came back from his injury.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
They could take Tampa finally. If Vasilevksy is slightly human in the playoffs they should get over that hump. Like what Dubis has done to help their cause. I'm tired of Tampa anyway.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
You actually believe goaltending is magically better when 3/4 lines are out there?

Hughes and Bratt over the last 10 games have the lowest GF/60, highest GA/60 and the worst xGF% and HDCF% on the team.

So basically they are our worst players right now and the team is better when they aren't on the ice. This is on top of the fact that they get easy matchups and start in the offensive zone 85% of the time.
Yeah, it’s extremely difficult to believe that the goalie saving 81% of shots isn’t entirely due to their bad defense. If I had the time I’d go back and pull up every single goal and you can show me how it was all their fault.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Yeah, it’s extremely difficult to believe that the goalie saving 81% of shots isn’t entirely due to their bad defense. If I had the time I’d go back and pull up every single goal and you can show me how it was all their fault.
why is it so hard to acknowledge that they’ve had a lot of lapses in coverage and a lot of long defensive zone shifts, and their scoring hasn’t made up for it? “all their fault” is dramatic but they haven’t been good defensively and citing the goalie save % is a weak deflection because you don’t acknowledge any correlation between weak defense and save percentage

you’re citing the on ice save percentage but it’s lower for them than it is for others- do you disagree that all shots and all chances aren’t equal? you’re cherry picking stats and situations that prove your point and dismissing anything that goes against it

Reactions: MauDevils
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad