GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Chicago Blackhawks - 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yeah until this year I think I took him breaking the Gretzky record as a matter of when, not if (I mean, dude had 42 goals LAST YEAR)...but his start has been so bad this year, talk about falling off the face of the earth. I figured it'd be injury that got him if anything given his style but no, he's still playing every game, he's just cooked.

He had 42 last year in only 73 games too. He's pacing for 17 this year which is 30 fewer than last years pace and nearly 1/3 of last years pace. Just a wild fall off. He's shooting less than half of his career average % so maybe there's some luck at play here but he also just looks like shit so the poor SH% is at least in part due to his play rather than just luck based

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Vitek's puckhandling decisions actually were shockingly good, especially when he came out pretty early in the third period seeing what could have been a breakaway behind Luke. Other than the one time he was pretty fortunate to not get whistled on a trapezoid penalty anyway...

That was the most surprising thing after the Vitek giveup of those shots.

His jump out reads to get the puck.... Excellent. It actually may have saved a goal on I think the first one. Happened 2 times I think.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He better find a time machine

Yeah until this year I think I took him breaking the Gretzky record as a matter of when, not if (I mean, dude had 42 goals LAST YEAR)...but his start has been so bad this year, talk about falling off the face of the earth. I figured it'd be injury that got him if anything given his style but no, he's still playing every game, he's just cooked.
It's possible it's just a down year, but not likely.

A down season at age 38 is usually a decline.

It's possible he bounces back a little bit next year, but probably not to goal scoring machine levels. He may even finish with more goals this year than we think he's gonna right now, but not like the past.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Before the season if you would've told me Mercer wasn't going to be the best out of the 4 of him, Luke, Nemec, and Holtz I would've found that a bit hard to believe but after how Luke looked it wouldn't have been too crazy to think he'd be better. I never would've believed you if you told me all 3 of those guys were better and pretty substantially so. I would've laughed in your face if you told me all 3 were way better than Timo too lol

Reactions: My3Sons

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
My vote on Jack is wrist. I think when he sort of spun out and went down he didn't let go of his stick and it caused his wrist to twist awkwardly.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Before the season if you would've told me Mercer wasn't going to be the best out of the 4 of him, Luke, Nemec, and Holtz I would've found that a bit hard to believe but after how Luke looked it wouldn't have been too crazy to think he'd be better. I never would've believed you if you told me all 3 of those guys were better and pretty substantially so. I would've laughed in your face if you told me they were all way better than Timo too lol
Wild especially considering Mercer has picked it up quite a big in the last 25-ish games. He had a horrible start but he’s getting his points.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
@Cheddabombs keep cooking
IMG_7968.png

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's possible it's just a down year, but not likely.

A down season at age 38 is usually a decline.

It's possible he bounces back a little bit next year, but probably not to goal scoring machine levels. He may even finish with more goals this year than we think he's gonna right now, but not like the past.

He's had such an awful start that even if he plays out the rest of the year like last year he'd only end up finishing with 33. Which sure 33 goals for most players is great but that'd be his worst season since 16-17 and since then he's had 49, 51, 48 in 68, 24 in 45, 50 in 77, 42 in 73. He paced for 51 goals over that stretch. Even that 33 would've been a pretty big fall off for him and that number seems like a pipedream right now

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I say Jack hurt his wrist but it was all taped up in the back because he was going to play 3 on 3 if it happened. Fingers crossed.

• Wow
Reactions: NjDevsRR

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I liked this game. Devils controlled the play in the 1st, got stymied by a good performance by Soberblom in the first, and a post. They didn’t let up and then more importantly they didn’t back down when Chicago gooned it up. They even matched the physicality. They kept up with their game and pulled ahead in the 3rd.

A game like this brings the group together

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

Camille the Eel

Vitek's puckhandling decisions actually were shockingly good, especially when he came out pretty early in the third period seeing what could have been a breakaway behind Luke. Other than the one time he was pretty fortunate to not get whistled on a trapezoid penalty anyway...
Oddly, Vitek played a great 3d period or we don’t get those 2 points tonight. I didn’t like either goal on him but that 3d period was the best and the most confident I’ve seen him all year.

Camille the Eel

I liked this game. Devils controlled the play in the 1st, got stymied by a good performance by Soberblom in the first, and a post. They didn’t let up and then more importantly they didn’t back down when Chicago gooned it up. They even matched the physicality. They kept up with their game and pulled ahead in the 3rd.

A game like this brings the group together
Except should it really have been that hard to beat Chicago? Loved our win tonight but where are the games where we just steamroll the clubs we should beat? Are there any such clubs? Washington on Wednesday similar feeling. Loved the win, but if we have to dig that deep for every 2 points, I don’t know if the war of attrition won’t eventually wear us out.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Dont kill me…

But I thought Tierney had two nice games. He helps push play with his speed at even strength

I kid.

Tierney’s had a not terrible Dec/Jan after what can only be described as a tough November.

I’m not sure he’ll ever score a goal, since he has enough trouble pulling off an occasional shot on goal, but his underlying numbers got a lot better and he’s only been scored on 5v5 once in his last 9 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad