GDT: New Jersey Devils VS. Calgary Flames / 7:30 PM EST / MSG & SNW / PAYBACK EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Again, Merill has a higher upside than Severson

Merill has that shutdown D game that Severson simply does not have. Merill can be a true #1 Dman, Severson cannot.

I can't wait for Greene to be off the team. Hasn't been good this season, the team's play did not change at all and if anything probably improved with Merill taking his role on the ice.

I agree with both points. It sucks that we have Greene on this team for 3 more years, almost as much as it sucked when Travis Zajac stifled Sergey Kalinin's offensive production last season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Then every penalty killer stood around watching Monahan skate right into the slot and score. It's almost mindnumbing how passive this team can be at times.

Was that the second PP goal for them?

The first one was a pathetic 80-ish seconds of us being pinned in with no clears and Quincey and Kalinin both failing to clear. That one was definitely the first PP they had because I remember I distinctly remember Cory defending the net on the left side of the screen. The 1st and 3rd period Devils D zone. I expected another PP goal for them by the second PP and remember barely paying attention the Flames PP at that point. I pretty much turned my head and heard Steve call the goal and was like ''Well that didn't take long''

Think it was a carryover penalty into the 2nd period.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
That first one they were totally gassed, Flames had the puck in our zone the entire PP. When the Flames scored they could barely move and were just taking up space that point.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That first one they were totally gassed, Flames had the puck in our zone the entire PP. When the Flames scored they could barely move and were just taking up space that point.

That whole sequence was awful.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't even credited as the PP goal, as it expired a second or two before the clock stopped. There's been at least 3-4 goals like that in the last 2-3 weeks, where we've allowed a goal a second or two after the PP expired. On top of too many goals while we're still on the PK as of recent.

I wouldn't be surprised if those 3-4 goals lately that came right as the penalty ended, are keeping our PK 5 spots up in the league rankings. They're also doing quite a number on our goalies even strength save percentages.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
On what basis does Merrill have a higher upside than Severson? I need numbers to back this overly bold claim up, or it is just more hyperbolic nonsense.

This fanbase has a terrible terrible habit of piling on and claiming someone sucks, has no future, or is washed up after they have a bad game. There is an even worse habit of then proclaiming "X is better" when X is either getting extremely limited minutes, in Albany, or not playing at all due to injury/etc.

Two months ago Merrill was a pylon who we couldn't give away for free. Now he is better than Severson and a true number 1? He is playing a lot better, but this hyperbolic crap was indeed crap.

You can have a bad game or *gasp* be in a bad slump and still be a very good player/prospect. Shocking I know. But whatever Zacha is a bust and Cory needs to go to the glue factory.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
On what basis does Merrill have a higher upside than Severson? I need numbers to back this overly bold claim up, or it is just more hyperbolic nonsense.

This fanbase has a terrible terrible habit of piling on and claiming someone sucks, has no future, or is washed up after they have a bad game. There is an even worse habit of then proclaiming "X is better" when X is either getting extremely limited minutes, in Albany, or not playing at all due to injury/etc.

Two months ago Merrill was a pylon who we couldn't give away for free. Now he is better than Severson and a true number 1? He is playing a lot better, but this hyperbolic crap was indeed crap.

You can have a bad game or *gasp* be in a bad slump and still be a very good player/prospect. Shocking I know. But whatever Zacha is a bust and Cory needs to go to the glue factory.
Well my posts about agreeing with Balance on Merrill being better than Severson and wanting Greene off the team were sarcasm. And the whole part about Zajac stifling Kalinin's offense and preventing him from scoring more points was something he personally claimed last year, which is why I stated that after saying I agreed with him.

Not sure why he would think Merrill is better than Severson, I've seen nothing to suggest that. I think Severson is getting roasted here because of his two poor plays that led directly to two goals tonight, including the game winner. Not that he doesn't deserve it, it's just not nearly enough to to justify claiming that Merrill is better.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There's also a huge difference between someone being better now and someone having more upside down the road. Obviously Merrill's better than Severson now, he's also three years older. There's no reason to say Severson doesn't have a bigger upside, especially since I'm not exactly convinced Merrill will add anything offensively, and Severson hasn't exactly plateaued at 22 either. Merrill's at this point of his career a one-dimensional player. As much as I may claim Severson's offense is overrated, I still believe there is talent there to add more goalscoring and he is putting up assists if nothing else. Obviously his offense is better than Merrill, it's a matter of what level his defense (and his brain) ever gets to.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I can't wait for Greene to be off the team. Hasn't been good this season, the team's play did not change at all and if anything probably improved with Merill taking his role on the ice.

Ideally Greene is a 3rd pairing on this team next season.
Maybe 2nd.

But he's not a top dman and struggles so much to clear the zone.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don't think Merrill has a higher ceiling than Severson by any stretch of the imagination but his defensive game is miles better than Seversons probably ever will be. And to be honest, that's fine. If Severson improves his defensive game even marginally he'll be fine.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
We are way better with Merrill in and Helgeson out.

Brian Elliott was so beatable last night. He is an awful goaltender.

Rags will light him up Sunday.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Severson turned 22 years old less than 6 months ago. Severson's mistakes are almost all poor decision making and have almost nothing to do with ability. He wins board battles, moves the puck well and might be the 2nd most naturally talented player on the team after Hall. This is still a work in progress but I still believe he has the potential to be a true #1. I do have some concerns about some of the mistakes he is still making but it's way too early to call it a problem.

Merrill is not a one dimensional defenseman...Far from it. Unless you think Andy Greene is one dimensional? Merrill's offensive potential maybe limited but it's not non-existent. I don't think Merrill's has fully reached his potential but he's just starting to arrive.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We are way better with Merrill in and Helgeson out.

Brian Elliott was so beatable last night. He is an awful goaltender.

Rags will light him up Sunday.

I was about to say "Rags will probably face Ochocinco" then I remember that we lost. With how bad he was last night, I forgot we actually lost the game. Goal 1 was pathetic and goal 2 was a nice bounce and maybe not as bad as initlally looked to me. Still stoppable and it's easy to see why he has a sub 90% on the season.

I thought our broadcast said that whoever wins automatically gets the next game there. That's what their coach said, so they'll probably play him.

Helgeson is lousy, he shouldn't even be an option. Play Stollery tonight.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Merrill went from a piece of garbage that has no NHL future to better than Severson. :help:

Zacha's been playing really of late, still would like to see more shots on goal, tho.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Greene would be great if he played where he belongs, 3rd pairing. Shero needs a miracle, he needs two top defensemen. This may be the draft to take one if we're drafting in the top ten.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I enjoyed the game last night despite the OT loss. Second period was by far the best for the Devils. Devils still are too passive and prone to brain dead decisions at times. Good atmosphere, and game better attended than I would have thought.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Merrill is not a one dimensional defenseman...Far from it. Unless you think Andy Greene is one dimensional? Merrill's offensive potential maybe limited but it's not non-existent. I don't think Merrill's has fully reached his potential but he's just starting to arrive.

Greene's not great offensively but he's at least had two 30+ point seasons in the NHL and was on pace for 27-28 in the lockout year, Merrill has 34 points in 192 total games, including 4 in 27 games this year in his breakout season.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I liked what I saw from Blandisi. I'd much rather have him in the lineup than Kalinin, DSP, Fiddler, etc.

Merrill doesn't have a higher ceiling than Severson. That's absurd. I don't even think Severson is that great but that's still a ridiculous claim. Severson's ceiling is pretty damn high. At age 22, his offense is orders of magnitude better than Merrill's will ever be. Merrill is made of glass and he provides no offense and he's like 3 years older than Severson. At best he's a Henrik Tallinder type.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Severson turned 22 years old less than 6 months ago. Severson's mistakes are almost all poor decision making and have almost nothing to do with ability. He wins board battles, moves the puck well and might be the 2nd most naturally talented player on the team after Hall. This is still a work in progress but I still believe he has the potential to be a true #1. I do have some concerns about some of the mistakes he is still making but it's way too early to call it a problem.

Exactly right on Severson. It's unfortunate that some of his mistakes lead to goals but a lot of that is luck based. He's still heavily skilled and helps the team. He usually is very strong positioning wise outside of one or two lapses per game. But he's still noticeably the most talented defenseman we have. And when he's on, he's undoubtedly the best.

Merrill is what he is. I've been happy with him but to compare him to Severson is unfair to both. Severson is definitely better and has more upside. 20-30 good games by Merril doesn't make him suddenly better than Severson who's had a very strong season minus the lapses.

Merrill is going to be a solid smart low event defenseman. Similar to what Greene was. He'll make plays based on his intelligence and he will typically make the safe play even if it isn't the best one. But I don't see a top pairing defenseman in Merrill. He's going to be either a really reliable bottom pairing one or a really solid #4

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Seriously. How much worse can this team get?! I never thought they'd be this bad this season....

Took one step forward last year...and two steps back this season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad