New, improved coronavirus thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This is a decent breakdown of why supply chains are kind of messed up (TL/DR: Commercial (restaurants, institutions) and Retail (grocery stores) supply chains are mostly separate and there's been a big surge in retail and a big drop in commercial and it's not logistically easy to just switch one to the other).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is a decent breakdown of why supply chains are kind of messed up (TL/DR: Commercial (restaurants, institutions) and Retail (grocery stores) supply chains are mostly separate and there's been a big surge in retail and a big drop in commercial and it's not logistically easy to just switch one to the other).

No good news there either. :(

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Since we have had two separate incidences in Winnipeg of Police Officers discharging their weapons in less than a 24 hour period... very rare...

I can't imagine what our law enforcement personnel are up against right now.... It was never ending War before the Virus...

‘Heightened sense of anxiety:’ Police increasingly face COVID-19 threats

Get along everyone and help others....

Our defenders are up against it in a big way...

Reactions: GNP

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I mean at the end of the day, the tough people are doing the tough work and all I'm asked to do is keep my family sane at home and not go out frivolously. And I watch the young daughter when the good lady prepares for her Mad Max-like trip to the local grocery store for supplies.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Person's worried about food in Canada...?

Money will be the biggest problem... reduced ability to purchase...

As far as supply... the grain farmers will plant the crops and their business is always dependant on the weather and fuel prices... weather they can't control - that's a given... fuel prices are down (but Carbon Tax - taxes are up)… If the weather co-operates across the Prairies for the most part... all mostly good here...

Chicken's for meat, Chicken's for eggs, Turkeys and Dairy products are all "Managed Systems" so they can invest long term and are very efficient and secure environments for the most part now... Chicken for meats pricing and supply will stay stable... same for Eggs and Turkey... Dumping of Dairy products is a product of persons having to make decisions in the face of lowered incomes & restaurants shuttered... not because of over production... this supply will drop... the prices will drop in line with demand...

Beef has already gone up in price and will probably stay up for the fore see able future... free market working... restaurants buy most of the beef so we will see what will happen soon... though it will be BBQ season... yum... :nod:

Pork is similar to Beef, but it is intensive investment, high liability, you can't just ship like Beef, it's a systemic thing... and generally aligns with the U.S. market... there is lots of Pork... in the U.S. there is so much bacon it's stacking up... the Restaurants used the bulk of it... bacon could get way cheaper for the foreseeable future. Here I thought it was My Son eating all the bacon... :sarcasm:

Logistics will slow down and inflate the price of fresh vegetables for the time being... until summer vegetable crops start to get harvested... relief in late July to August... actually a normal phenomenon....

The only wild cards in here are a healthy labor force for the grocery stores to continue stocking it for Urban environments... and trucking for transport & distribution systems....

I think there will be plenty of food - some persons will need help from others to get fed properly...

I worry very little about Canada's food supply... I can see some real concerns for Farmers in the U.S. in certain segments...

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I've never looked so forward to mowing my lawn in my life, just because it will feel "normal". That damn yard is going to be immaculate this summer

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
South Korea news is discouraging. But this is good news.
The estimates of death totals continue to be lowered.
84CCC331-0214-49D0-B73C-51A6B8604339.jpeg

Whileee

May 29, 2010
South Korea news is discouraging. But this is good news.
The estimates of death totals continue to be lowered. View attachment 341133
Adding that social isolation is maintained consistently and for sufficient time to cause a substantial and sustainable reversal of the epidemic curves. Without substantial herd immunity, the epidemics can reignite, though it seems very likely that the public health organizations and the public will be prepared to respond quickly if there is a resurgence, as there will very likely be in many locales.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've never looked so forward to mowing my lawn in my life, just because it will feel "normal". That damn yard is going to be immaculate this summer

I had Canadian Tire deliver a thatcher last week... I keep looking at it lovingly in the box....

I never would of thought I would be excited this much about thatching... the raking... the bagging...the thatching at right angles again... then raking again... then bagging again... then using the hand thatcher rake on the trouble areas... it seems so exciting right now... :laugh:

Reactions: Howard Chuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad